Remember Your Childhood Corner Shop? Take A Look At How They Transformed Our Lives

Do you remember the good ol’ corner shop? It was a place that always brought back fond memories of yesteryear.

These small, independently-owned stores were once a staple of Australian neighbourhoods, offering everything from lollies and milkshakes to newspapers and household essentials.

While corner shops may be less common today, the memories they evoke are still very real for many Australians.

The experience of Australians with corner shops varied greatly depending on the era they grew up in. For those who were kids in the 1950s and early 1960s, corner shops were often a vibrant and bustling hub of activity.

melbourne-australia-june-13-2016-260nw-452539558.jpg copy.png
Australians used to frequent corner shops for a convenient place to buy essentials and treats. Credit: Shutterstock.

For many kids, the highlight of a visit to the corner shop was the opportunity to indulge in sweet treats like ice cream floats, thick milkshakes, and bags upon bags of lollies.

These stores were a place of joy and excitement, where children could spend their pocket money on all the sugary snacks they could dream of. Whether it was a special treat after school or a weekend outing with friends, the corner shop was a beloved part of many Australian childhoods.

Fast forward to the ‘70s and ‘80s, and things evolved slightly. The heavy potential offered by a hard, silver 50-cent coin was a daily ritual of the most important kind among kids.

But things changed once again in the 1990s. By that stage, the all-encompassing supermarket started nudging corner shops out of existence, offering a vast range of items at any time of day or night.

So, corner shops transformed, some turning into 'internet cafes'… Remember them?

And, while they may not be around anymore, the fond memories still live on.

Sadly, corner shops are no longer the common sight they once were. According to market research company BIS Shrapnel, recent years have seen the number of independent corner shops in Australia plummet by around 35 per cent.

At their peak, corner shops were a godsend — whether you find yourself in a bind late at night craving a quick snack or need to grab some last-minute groceries, these small, independently-owned shops were a true lifeline for many Australians.

This kind of convenience and reliability made corner shops such a cherished part of Australian life for so many years. Although they may be less common now, our fondness for corner shops will always remain in our hearts, even if they are no longer gracing the streets of our towns and cities.

Key Takeaways

• Corner shops, a staple of Australian neighbourhoods, have mostly disappeared since 2010.
  • Convenience has changed with the increase of 24-hour supermarkets and online delivery services.
  • The corner shop offered shoppers various products, from milk and bread to shoelaces and fly spray.
  • The nostalgia for corner shops is shared by many Aussies.

These days, convenience has mutated into something almost unimaginable: enormous supermarkets open well into the night, selling every fruit and vegetable regardless of the season. Petrol stations with their own bakeries are open 24 hours.

And if you don’t have the energy to go to the store, there’s always delivery at your fingertips.

Nevertheless, a lot of nostalgia is associated with the humble corner shop.

Whenever we think about them, we're instantly transported to a time when things were simpler, and everything seemed so much simpler.

Do you have any fond memories of the corner shop? We would love to hear them. Share them with us in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I remember our corner shop opposite our school every afternoon would go and buy a sunny boy ice block and 25c mixed lollies and they were like 2 for 1c

I remember all the jars lined up and you would tell the lady what you wanted and she always smiled.
Sometimes I would get a choo choo bar added ,a rose toffee thing ,a aniseed cigar or marshmallow icecream cone these were all 5c .

Oh the memories if only we could go back for just one day 🤔

Waaaaay back when I was a kid we had a corner store where mum could buy the basics. We only had one car which dad took to work so it was a grocery shop fortnightly? or a bus to town. If we needed anything more than basic there was another shop a far greater walk away. The carrot for me was an ice cream to eat on the way back home. It was from a big cannister enclosed in a padded canvas covering and kept frozen with dry ice. The smell when you entered the shop was heavenly - I still remember it,

Living out in the sticks we never had the luxury of a corner shop, but when I was 12 our small country school closed and we had to go into town to school, by private car as no bus service provided. When we got to town we would be dropped off near the shops, there was only a butchers, bakers, small grocery store and a takeaway cafe. Once a week we would go to the cafe before school with our hapennies, pennies, thripences, and sixpences and buy a treat to take to school. We could get a sandwich, cake, chips, or lollies depending how much we had. A hapenny would buy quite a few lollies back then, out of jars, the shopkeeper just picked them out with his/her hands and dropped into the little white lolly bags. And yes the smells were so good. When we went to Tasmania in 2016 we were amazed at the amount of small country areas that still had a corner shop open, most rural areas we drove through had one. It was so good to see and we stopped at quite a few for a drink or a snack, just to give them some business. We had a chat to the owners and found out lots of interesting information about their areas we otherwise wouldn’t have. It was a great experience.

When my kids were very little (4 and 3) we had a very good relationship with the couple who ran our corner shop which was at the bottom of our street. Of a Saturday we used to give the kids $1, the West Australian cost 80c. There were very strict rules, they had to hold hands all the way, straight there and back and the 20c change could be spent on lollies. They didn't know but we used to watch them all the way there and the lady from the shop used to watch them on the way back. She always spoilt them and I'm sure they got more like 50c worth of lollies. That couple ended up being stand in Grandparents to our kids and often had them to stay in the holidays, they always referred to them as the Rent a Kids! :)

I had a corner store next door and the best thing l remember is bakers delivery. Mum used to get me to grab half a loaf of bread and our friendly shopkeeper always gave me the big bumpy middle section. Pull little pieces off real bread and eat the middle all the way home. It was so fresh it was still warm. Yum

Do you remember the good ol’ corner shop? It was a place that always brought back fond memories of yesteryear.

These small, independently-owned stores were once a staple of Australian neighbourhoods, offering everything from lollies and milkshakes to newspapers and household essentials.

While corner shops may be less common today, the memories they evoke are still very real for many Australians.

The experience of Australians with corner shops varied greatly depending on the era they grew up in. For those who were kids in the 1950s and early 1960s, corner shops were often a vibrant and bustling hub of activity.

View attachment 15155
Australians used to frequent corner shops for a convenient place to buy essentials and treats. Credit: Shutterstock.

For many kids, the highlight of a visit to the corner shop was the opportunity to indulge in sweet treats like ice cream floats, thick milkshakes, and bags upon bags of lollies.

These stores were a place of joy and excitement, where children could spend their pocket money on all the sugary snacks they could dream of. Whether it was a special treat after school or a weekend outing with friends, the corner shop was a beloved part of many Australian childhoods.

Fast forward to the ‘70s and ‘80s, and things evolved slightly. The heavy potential offered by a hard, silver 50-cent coin was a daily ritual of the most important kind among kids.

But things changed once again in the 1990s. By that stage, the all-encompassing supermarket started nudging corner shops out of existence, offering a vast range of items at any time of day or night.

So, corner shops transformed, some turning into 'internet cafes'… Remember them?

Sadly, corner shops are no longer the common sight they once were. According to market research company BIS Shrapnel, recent years have seen the number of independent corner shops in Australia plummet by around 35 per cent.

At their peak, corner shops were a godsend — whether you find yourself in a bind late at night craving a quick snack or need to grab some last-minute groceries, these small, independently-owned shops were a true lifeline for many Australians.

This kind of convenience and reliability made corner shops such a cherished part of Australian life for so many years. Although they may be less common now, our fondness for corner shops will always remain in our hearts, even if they are no longer gracing the streets of our towns and cities.

Key Takeaways

• Corner shops, a staple of Australian neighbourhoods, have mostly disappeared since 2010.
  • Convenience has changed with the increase of 24-hour supermarkets and online delivery services.
  • The corner shop offered shoppers various products, from milk and bread to shoelaces and fly spray.

These days, convenience has mutated into something almost unimaginable: enormous supermarkets open well into the night, selling every fruit and vegetable regardless of the season. Petrol stations with their own bakeries are open 24 hours.

And if you don’t have the energy to go to the store, there’s always delivery at your fingertips.

Whenever we think about them, we're instantly transported to a time when things were simpler, and everything seemed so much simpler.

Do you have any fond memories of the corner shop? We would love to hear them. Share them with us in the comments!
Well we shifted about 8 times, dad was the local baker so occasionally we were the corner shop.
In the 40,s little girls could walk to the lolly shop with 3d in her tiny handbag for 3 penny worth of mixed lollies. One the counter was so high they didn’t know I was there until my small hand shot up and plonked my money on the counter.

• Love
Reactions: RTS and Ricci

View attachment 15155

Key Takeaways

ABC Back to the Corner Shop 8pm tuesday and Thursday . Episode 1 this week. Very informative. Proper reality program.

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Proper made up reality program using people who have probably never had anything to do with a corner shop. Bring back the days when there were no reality or lifestyle shows, at least then we had a choice of something worth watching.

Living out in the sticks we never had the luxury of a corner shop, but when I was 12 our small country school closed and we had to go into town to school, by private car as no bus service provided. When we got to town we would be dropped off near the shops, there was only a butchers, bakers, small grocery store and a takeaway cafe. Once a week we would go to the cafe before school with our hapennies, pennies, thripences, and sixpences and buy a treat to take to school. We could get a sandwich, cake, chips, or lollies depending how much we had. A hapenny would buy quite a few lollies back then, out of jars, the shopkeeper just picked them out with his/her hands and dropped into the little white lolly bags. And yes the smells were so good. When we went to Tasmania in 2016 we were amazed at the amount of small country areas that still had a corner shop open, most rural areas we drove through had one. It was so good to see and we stopped at quite a few for a drink or a snack, just to give them some business. We had a chat to the owners and found out lots of interesting information about their areas we otherwise wouldn’t have. It was a great experience.
Another reason why we moved to Tasmania when I retired

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci
I remember our corner shop opposite our school every afternoon would go and buy a sunny boy ice block and 25c mixed lollies and they were like 2 for 1c

I remember all the jars lined up and you would tell the lady what you wanted and she always smiled.
Sometimes I would get a choo choo bar added ,a rose toffee thing ,a aniseed cigar or marshmallow icecream cone these were all 5c .

Oh the memories if only we could go back for just one day 🤔
I didn't get enough pocket money to buy something every day. It was a once a week spend of a few lollies and a picture theatre ticket with 2 shillings (or 20 cents) then nothing till the next Saturday.

Our corner shop was run by My Honeysett (what a lovely name). All the best goodies and my favourites were dolly mixtures which were weighed out into a little white bag. No pre packaged lollies then. Also things like cheese were cut from the round, put on a piece of greaseproof paper and weighed and wrapped. Personal service, a little wait but there was always someone to talk to. The community seemed a lot closer. Unlike now when you can walk in to a shop, serve yourself and walk out without necessarily speaking to anyone.

My best friend and I wanted to work in a shop when we grew up, because dear Edie made it look like fun, and my friend's parents were shopkeepers.
When I was 14 I worked at Woolies in my holidays and changed my mind.
My best friend still has a shop.

View attachment 15155

Key Takeaways

I'm getting a bit trivial my store wasn't on a corner.
It was on Mowbray Rd Chatswood west.
I'm talking about 60 years ago, maybe someone who visited the store could elaborate on that.
It was about ten minute walk in which I was allowed to cut through a persons house otherwise it would have been about 20 min walk.
The owner was Mr Auburn.
A bit weird the things that one remembers.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci
We were surrounded by milk bars! There was one across the road and one just two doors down, alongside a strip of shops that included a butcher, greengrocer and hairdresser. We usually went to the milk bar 2 doors down, as the road we lived on was quite busy.

On the 14th of February 1966 my sister and I had a formal little meeting with our parents and they presented us each with a cute little piggy bank and our very first pocket money…twenty cents, though I think we were each given two shillings, as the new coins hadn't arrived at our place yet.

Some of my favourite memories were popping down to the shop to buy some lollies and a comic. My favourites were the Ducktales comics and Mickey Mouse.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci