Reinvent Your Driveway Etiquette: Sydney Man's Genius Hack Stops Public Urination Dead in Its Tracks!

In the quiet suburb of Waverley, Sydney, a homeowner's battle against public urination has taken a turn for the innovative. Stephen Bodnar, an electrician by trade, was at his wit's end with late-night revelers treating his driveway as their personal lavatory. The proximity of his property to local watering holes, The Charing Cross Hotel and The Robin Hood Hotel, meant that his driveway had become an all-too-convenient stop for those who had imbibed one too many and couldn't quite make it home without a pit stop.

The issue of public urination is not unique to Bodnar's driveway. It's a problem that plagues many communities, creating not only a public health concern but also a social nuisance. The smell, the mess, and the lack of respect for private property can be incredibly frustrating for homeowners. But where many might have thrown their hands up in despair, Bodnar saw an opportunity for a creative solution.

Fed up with the unpleasant surprises left by inebriated individuals, Bodnar decided to take action. He invested in a $3,000 system that is part genius, part garden-variety home defense. The setup includes a motion detector, a bright light, and a sprinkler system that delivers a three-minute downpour. The system is active between the hours of 6pm and 6am, prime time for pub-goers to be stumbling home.

49dbeedc4343ac939579436482f50092d2aabcea.jpg
A Sydney homeowner installed a sprinkler and CCTV system to stop late-night drinkers from urinating in his driveway. Credit: Facebook / 7NEWS Sydney

The beauty of Bodnar's 'wee trap' lies in its simplicity and effectiveness. The motion detector senses an unwelcome visitor, the light serves as a warning, and if the intruder doesn't take the hint, the sprinklers provide a very wet deterrent. It's a non-violent and rather humorous way to address the issue, and it's working like a charm. The CCTV footage capturing the shock of unsuspecting late-night drinkers has become a testament to the system's success.

The owner of The Robin Hood Hotel, Daniel Whitten, had previously suggested a more traditional approach to the problem by offering to pay for a gate. However, Bodnar declined, perhaps preferring a solution that didn't just block the problem but actively discouraged it.

Bodnar's innovative approach to a common urban issue is a reminder that sometimes, thinking outside the box can yield the best results. It's also a lesson in taking ownership of a problem and finding a way to solve it that doesn't involve confrontation or escalation.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, this story might inspire you to consider how you can address issues in your own community with a bit of ingenuity. Have you ever come up with a clever solution to a neighborhood problem? Or perhaps you've been considering ways to improve the safety and cleanliness of your property? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney homeowner has installed a sprinkler and CCTV system to deter late-night drinkers from urinating in his driveway.
  • The system, set up by Stephen Bodnar from Waverley, includes a motion detector that activates a light and a three-minute downpour between 6pm and 6am.
  • The homeowner had grown frustrated with the ongoing issue caused by patrons from nearby pubs, despite a previously offered gate solution by one pub owner.
  • The innovative 'wee trap' has been effective in startling and deterring the offenders, with the CCTV footage capturing their surprised reactions.
Remember, while it's important to find effective ways to protect our homes and maintain our standards of living, it's equally important to do so with a sense of humor and humanity. Stephen Bodnar's 'wee trap' is not just a deterrent; it's a statement about respecting one another's space and coming home with not just a full heart, but an empty bladder.

Sponsored
I do believe that people have said that urinating on the lemon tree produces effective fertilisation and I remember a relative peeing on his hands to relieve ‘frost bite ‘. He worked out doors and getting this was a common occurrence when it was very cold. Apparently this produced an effective cure!!! Don’t know about germs though. They didn’t seem to exist then.

I do believe that people have said that urinating on the lemon tree produces effective fertilisation and I remember a relative peeing on his hands to relieve ‘frost bite ‘. He worked out doors and getting this was a common occurrence when it was very cold. Apparently this produced an effective cure!!! Don’t know about germs though. They didn’t seem to exist then.
I recall when I was in the army being told to pee on my feet in the shower to kill off tinea.

You are correct "I'm Mal", plus other "Tootie Toe" problems. In the 2nd world war, at the Jap POW camp, Changi, the prisoners did that on their feet to combat all sorts of foot diseases. If my history memory is correct, it was on the great advice of the one & only, "Weary" Dunlop, who was a doctor.