Zed49!

Feb 20, 2022
Refusing to outlay any more money for a wedding.

AIBU for refusing to outlay any more money for a wedding? My daughter has been in and on and off relationship with her partner whom she has now had two children with for two years now,
Plans are to be married later this year. His previous relationship , went sour with two children there. On average they argue every 10 to 15 days and break up. He leaves , then some how they come back together again. The are living with us a the present time . My wife has been in the middle of this and tries to mediate between them. This has caused so much strain on her and our relationship. There are so many reasons here where they should not be together. Jealousy, Money issues, stupid Mobile phones + Face book, his previous relationship, immaturity from both of them, issues from his previous relationship, and the way they act and treat each other when they are fighting. My Daughters previous relationships ended the same way. On the good side , They may love each other and have two lovely children, which my wife and I have given so much of our time to help raise them. Our friends and family have seen most of these behavioral moments and although being nice about it , I have heard they have queried their relationships. My other children are saying to me that I am crazy for spending all this money for a wedding, that may not last. ??? I have outlaid about $5,000 dollars already , but am really starting to worry that I am throwing money out the window.

Reactions: Campbell
Hey, @Zed49! I'm not a professional so please take my advice with a grain of salt - but I think it's incredibly sweet of you to support your daughter financially.

I think part of being a good parent is holding your childrens' hand through their struggles and letting them figure it out on their own (especially when they are already adults!) BUT creating boundaries for yourself when things are getting toxic should also be a priority.

I think you already went out of your way to show your support and that's more than enough! Sending tight hugs! 🤗

Last edited:
Hey, @Zed49! I'm not a professional so please take my advice with a grain of salt - but I think it's incredibly sweet of you to support your daughter financially.

I think part of being a good parent is holding your children's hand through their struggles and letting them figure it out on their own (especially when they are already adults!) BUT creating boundaries for yourself when things are getting toxic should also be a priority.

I think you already went out of your way to show your support and that's more than enough! Sending tight hugs! 🤗
Thanks Sethia . Appreciate yiur advice.cheers ..Zed49!