Red Lentil Patties

One of my favourites, vegetarian and yummy.

Ingredients

IngredientAmount
Red lentils, dry3/4 cup
Vegetable broth300ml
Red pepper, diced1 small
Onion, diced1 medium
Garlic, minced2 tsp
Chia seeds, ground1 tbsp
Chickpea flour4 tbsp, more if needed
Parsley, fresh, chopped3 tbsp
Paprika, smoked1 tsp
Cumin, ground3/4 tsp
Onion powder1/2,tsp
Saltto taste

IngredientAmount
Red pepper flakesto taste
Pepperto taste
Oil for frying

compressed-Screenshot_4.jpeg
Image Credit: Member @rob53

Preparation
1. Cook the lentils. Rinse the red lentils in a sieve under running water to remove any debris. Transfer them to a pot or pan along with 1 cup of vegetable broth. If using water, add a little salt. Bring to a boil and let the lentils simmer for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and partially falling apart. There shouldn’t be any broth or water left after cooking!

2. Cook the veggies. Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Fry over medium heat for a few minutes until the onion is translucent (not browned).

3. Shape and cook the patties. Once the lentils are cooked, add them to a food processor together with the cooked veggies, spices, parsley, ground chia seeds, and flour. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture is combined. You want to leave some texture, so do not over-process it. The mixture should be shapeable, if it’s not, add a little more flour. Form 10 patties (each weighing between 40-50 grams - about 2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons), and fry them with a little oil (I used 2 teaspoons for 4 patties) in a skillet from both sides (about 3 minutes each side) until golden brown and crispy.

4. Serve Serve with a dip of choice, and enjoy! I made a dip from 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter mixed with 30 ml dill pickle juice, 10 ml olive brine, a little garlic, and smoked paprika to taste.

Notes

1. Flour: I haven’t tried the recipe with any other flour, however, it should work with most flours (e.g. regular flour, oat
flour, quinoa flour, etc.).

2. Lentils: If using green or brown lentils, they need to cook at least 10 minutes longer, so you will need to add more
water/broth. Veggies: You can use other veggies instead of red pepper, for example, zucchini, carrot, etc.

3. Cooking method: I haven’t tried cooking the patties in the air-fryer yet, but I would brush them with a little oil, and cook them at 360 ºF (180 ºC) for about 12 minutes, flipping after 8 minutes. If you want to try making them in the oven, then I would suggest the same temperature, but a baking time of about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• red-lentil-patties (Markor).PDF
    110.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
One of my favourites, vegetarian and yummy.

Ingredients

IngredientAmount
Red lentils, dry3/4 cup
Vegetable broth300ml
Red pepper, diced1 small
Onion, diced1 medium
Garlic, minced2 tsp
Chia seeds, ground1 tbsp
Chickpea flour4 tbsp, more if needed
Parsley, fresh, chopped3 tbsp
Paprika, smoked1 tsp
Cumin, ground3/4 tsp
Onion powder1/2,tsp
Saltto taste

IngredientAmount
Red pepper flakesto taste
Pepperto taste
Oil for frying

View attachment 22006
Image Credit: Member @rob53

Preparation
1. Cook the lentils. Rinse the red lentils in a sieve under running water to remove any debris. Transfer them to a pot or pan along with 1 cup of vegetable broth. If using water, add a little salt. Bring to a boil and let the lentils simmer for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and partially falling apart. There shouldn’t be any broth or water left after cooking!

2. Cook the veggies. Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Fry over medium heat for a few minutes until the onion is translucent (not browned).

3. Shape and cook the patties. Once the lentils are cooked, add them to a food processor together with the cooked veggies, spices, parsley, ground chia seeds, and flour. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture is combined. You want to leave some texture, so do not over-process it. The mixture should be shapeable, if it’s not, add a little more flour. Form 10 patties (each weighing between 40-50 grams - about 2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons), and fry them with a little oil (I used 2 teaspoons for 4 patties) in a skillet from both sides (about 3 minutes each side) until golden brown and crispy.

4. Serve Serve with a dip of choice, and enjoy! I made a dip from 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter mixed with 30 ml dill pickle juice, 10 ml olive brine, a little garlic, and smoked paprika to taste.

Notes

1. Flour: I haven’t tried the recipe with any other flour, however, it should work with most flours (e.g. regular flour, oat
flour, quinoa flour, etc.).

2. Lentils: If using green or brown lentils, they need to cook at least 10 minutes longer, so you will need to add more
water/broth. Veggies: You can use other veggies instead of red pepper, for example, zucchini, carrot, etc.

3. Cooking method: I haven’t tried cooking the patties in the air-fryer yet, but I would brush them with a little oil, and cook them at 360 ºF (180 ºC) for about 12 minutes, flipping after 8 minutes. If you want to try making them in the oven, then I would suggest the same temperature, but a baking time of about 30 minutes.
YUMMY!!!

Reactions: rob53 and Ricci
They look so good and healthy - i will have to give this recipe to my son - he can make it for the both of us:_)! he is the better cook!_! Thankyou.