SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Recent MyGov Scam

Hi Everyone!

Member Cecily E. sent this in to us recently, and I just wanted to upload it here so other people are aware. Cecily has alerted MyGov of the scam and it seems they are investigating. Please be aware of any MyGov emails that come into your inbox that look like this, as they ARE NOT LEGITIMATE. Please note the 'From' email isn't even a MyGov email address, MyGov is only in the name!

my gov scam.jpg

I got a phone call purporting to be Amazon wanting to give a refund of $99.99 and of course
I just starting following their prompts and lies and before I knew it was just about to lose $4999.00 from my banks account. It resulted in me being inconvenienced by having my account closed a computer expert clearing my computer and phone and getting new card etc. They had the temerity to ring a few days later with the same scam.

Hi Everyone!

Member Cecily E. sent this in to us recently, and I just wanted to upload it here so other people are aware. Cecily has alerted MyGov of the scam and it seems they are investigating. Please be aware of any MyGov emails that come into your inbox that look like this, as they ARE NOT LEGITIMATE. Please note the 'From' email isn't even a MyGov email address, MyGov is only in the name!

View attachment 2864
If there was a refund it would have been paid directly into your account, Also they would know your name and not customer. That is why it is best to not have your name as an email account, That way even if they address to your account as your name you know straight away it is a fake.

Hi Everyone!

View attachment 2864
Thankyou for the warning

I often wonder what would happen if someone or lots of people flooded them with return information that was false. Let the scammers do the chasing up and be scammed!
@Hieme I read a story the other day, but I can't seem to find the link right now! But essentially what happened is this scammer kept calling this young man pretending to be his bank and saying that $X of money was going to be withdrawn if he didn't confirm what his details were. Lucky he knew better and refused to give his details.

To get back at the scammer, he put a fake ad up on GumTree saying "Free Puppies" and listed the number as the scammers number so the scammer got inundated with hundreds of calls. The scammer then called the young man back and asked what he had done with his number, and the young man said he won't take the ad down unless this man stops trying to scam people and he hung up!

Crazy story. The bad thing is, is all those people would think they could get their hands on free puppies! Good thing is, the scammer got scammed!

I got a phone call purporting to be Amazon wanting to give a refund of $99.99 and of course
I just starting following their prompts and lies and before I knew it was just about to lose $4999.00 from my banks account. It resulted in me being inconvenienced by having my account closed a computer expert clearing my computer and phone and getting new card etc. They had the temerity to ring a few days later with the same scam.
Same thing happened to me resulting in having to cancel my Visa card and waiting a week for a new one. The person sounded really convincing and even quoted the number of my previous card

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
Hi Everyone!

View attachment 2864
Also it wouldn't be signed "The MyGov.au Team". It would actually have a persons name.

No government department will send you a letter or any documentation attached to an email. They will either contact you by phone (they are not permitted to leave you a message), or by an actual letter requesting that you call them quoting a reference number.