Recall Alert: 19 people fall sick after consuming contaminated baby cucumbers

We're only a few days into 2023, but another supermarket health scare has already raised concerns among shoppers.

Recently, the WA Department of Health issued a recall for the Qukes brand of baby cucumbers after 19 people became infected with Salmonella, with three children having to be hospitalised.

The majority of cases have been reported in Perth, prompting medical authorities to issue an urgent warning to anyone who might have bought the product.

Senior Medical Advisor, Dr Paul Effler, expressed serious concern over the outbreak and said that the age range of those affected was from less than one to sixty.

Among them were three children who had been hospitalised, but thankfully, all victims have since recovered.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 8.43.51 AM.png
WA Health is advising people not to eat the Qukes baby cucumber brand purchased in December. Credit: Woolworths.

'We've had more children affected with Salmonella than we typically see in this linkage, and that's why we really want to take that extra measure and make sure people are safe,' Dr Effler said.

The cucumbers, which are stocked in Coles, Woolworths and IGA stores, are thought to have been contaminated with the Salmonella Typhimurium strain.

Almost 50,000 packets of the product have been traced back to a farm in South Australia, and the supplier, Perfection Fresh, has since ceased production on December 22.

'They have ceased production at that farmhouse that is implicated from the product that we identified, so we're hopeful that that's going to resolve the problem completely. But at the same time, I'm cautious this is an ongoing investigation, and as we get new information, we will adapt,' Dr Effler added.

Aside from the cases already reported, an investigation has been launched to ensure that this strain of Salmonella has not spread to other states and areas.

The issue has led to WA Health urging people not to consume the product if they were purchased in December.

This comes only weeks after various baby spinach packets were recalled in NSW, Victoria and the ACT after several reports from people who sought medical attention over the weekend with symptoms of poisoning, most notably hallucinations.
Key Takeaways

• Several victims have contracted Salmonella from consuming Qukes brand baby cucumbers. Three of them have been hospitalised, and all have recovered.
  • The cucumbers originated from a farm in South Australia and have been stocked by Coles, Woolworths and IGA stores.
  • Symptoms from contracting the bacteria include feeling unwell, being fatigued, running a fever, stomach pain and diarrhoea.
  • The WA Department of Health recommends avoiding consumption of the product if it was purchased in December.
Members, this is a timely reminder to always check food safety warnings and bulletins, especially if you've recently visited a store to do your grocery shopping.

It's also important to make sure that food products are stored correctly, particularly fruits and vegetables, and when in doubt, it's best to err on the side of caution and throw it out.

If you're displaying any worrying symptoms after eating contaminated food, then please speak to your doctor or a health professional, and report it to your state's Department of Health.

With good hygiene and knowledge of how to properly handle food, food-borne illnesses such as Salmonella can be avoided. Watch this video below for more information on how to prevent you and your loved ones from being exposed.

Are there any other food safety tips that you follow in your household? Share your best tips with us in the comments below!

Credit: Howcast.

Sponsored
I won't buy any salad vegetables in plastic packets.
When I wash fresh fruit or vegetables, I wash them under running water then dry with paper towels - as per instructions from Australian Food Standards.

Reactions: NanaH
I love these baby Qs but the price usually puts them beyond my budget. When you compare prices of cucumbers then $1.95 for a Continental cue or $ 3.00 for a pack of Lebonese cues wins over Quarks at $7.99 a punnet of 8 half of which will be off before you can eat them.

I don't care how old this news is it is well worth informing people again. I am asking myself WHAT has happened to our Health & Safety laws etc? Seems there is SO much foodstuff lately that is being recalled and/or causing we consumers health issues. Not good enough JAN!! Also the quality of fresh produce at Supermarkets is appalling, been left in too cold storage for too long most of it. Some even frozen! These businesses just don't care anymore.

Ie: Caused by plastic and film packaging; wrong temperature in the display; damp when packaged etc..

On two separate occasions have taken 2 packages back to the supermarket.

Now only buy them after close inspection and when on special