Queensland landlord confuses tenant with ‘ridiculous’ guest policy

With the price of real estate today, many opt to rent to save costs while still living independently. Property owners may arrange their policies for tenants, and these should be agreed upon before signing. This might not have been the case with a tenant in Queensland, as their lease is on the brink of termination, thanks to one policy.

The tenant, who remains anonymous, ran to social media for advice due to a concerning policy set by their landlord.

‘My mum's coming to stay with me for a week so I asked my real estate if that's okay. My mum's travelling six hours to my house. The real estate told me no, she can only stay for two nights because she's not on the lease,’ they shared.

They then asked, ‘Is this true? I've never heard of this before or had an issue with any other rentals I've lived in.’

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 11.18.03.png
A Queensland tenant posted a question about their landlord’s guest policy online .
Credit: SHVETS production/Pexels

The tenant also shared their landlord’s full response, which stated: ‘That's lovely your mum is coming but unfortunately she can only stay at your house for two nights. Otherwise you're breaking the contract and your lease will be terminated.’

The post drew responses from users, particularly those who were confused why she even raised the matter in the first place

‘Why is she asking permission, her mum isn’t going to live there,’ said one comment.

Another comment stated, ‘The real estate does not get to control how long guests stay.'

In a post on their website, tenant advocacy group Tenants Queensland emphasises the tenant’s rights to have visitors and guests over their rented property.
However, it still recommends tenants to inform their landlords if they have guests over.
Along with the statement are several reminders to prevent running into problems in the future.
‘If you have plenty of room then it’s usually not a problem. But, if you only have a small place, it can lead to problems like overcrowding or noise problems,’ they remind tenants. They added that at the end of the day, tenants are still responsible for their guests’ behaviour.
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland tenant raised concern about a landlord’s guest policy.
  • The tenant informed their landlord about their mum visiting for a week, only to be told she could only stay for two days.
  • The landlord threatened to end their lease, shocking the tenant.
  • Tenants Queensland affirms the tenant’s right to have guests.
  • TQ also reminds tenants of their responsibilities, especially when living in limited spaces.

Is the landlord being reasonable? Or should they relax their rules for their tenant’s mum? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored