Queen says Camilla will be known as “Queen Consort” when Prince Charles accedes to the throne

Queen Elizabeth II has expressed her "sincere wish" that Camilla will be known as “Queen Consort” when Prince Charles takes over the throne in her Platinum Jubilee message.

In Her Majesty's message to the nation, the monarch set out her hopes for the Duchess of Cornwall to be recognized as Queen Consort despite previous reports stating that Camilla did not want to be queen and "intended" to be known as "Princess Consort" instead.

It should be noted that the wife of a King takes the title of "Queen Consort" upon her husband's accession to the throne.

However, if Camilla’s previous wishes were to come true, it would be the first time in British history that the wife of the King was to be known as "Princess Consort".

Lcdxw3i7F5XpmSlhczLXmCk3tY0dU6WyPq_ewrMSykzkougPt_3cwb_lprqhxWCGy9UpmKVHpj8zPKsjtGnpMohl7NrEW-XptrCcCjVn8UAh1gxEMKsKAq36Y_YNqU0D8dpXBlo

Queen Elizabeth II expressed her support for Camilla to be recognised as “Queen Consort” when Charles accedes to the throne during her Platinum Jubilee message. Credit: Ross Setford/AAP Image.

As the Queen reaches her 70th year on the throne, Her Majesty addressed the public to share her succession support for her eldest son, Prince Charles, as monarch.

The 95-year-old monarch said in a written message: "I would like to express my thanks to you all for your support. I remain eternally grateful for, and humbled by, the loyalty and affection that you continue to give me."

“And when, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes King, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me; and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.”

Queen Elizabeth II, who is approaching her 96th birthday this year, renewed her lifelong pledge of duty after acceding to the throne on February 6, 1952, on King George VI's death.

Her Majesty also paid tribute to her late husband, Prince Philip, for his service as consort.

Queen Elizabeth II also expressed her gratitude to her family for their support and made reference to Queen Mother's role as Queen Consort.

The Queen wrote: “I am fortunate to have had the steadfast and loving support of my family. I was blessed that in Prince Philip I had a partner willing to carry out the role of consort and unselfishly make the sacrifices that go with it."

“It is a role I saw my own mother perform during my father’s reign.”

HEAMU8jFG2R6nB-deb-FgX65zQQ3RGvzuTzV8x9lmONU-ox0U7sgpwokPkwGs9Y8wdnkQbvs77FvZF9sN0NkRYRjp2m5FvcirZqCK_rL-1J1mu1WibbT5EjfzK5K0m3pprqFwpA

Insiders reported that the Duchess of Cornwall intended to be called “Princess Consort” when her husband, Prince Charles, accedes to the throne — a first in the British history. Credit: Chris Jackson/AP.

Royal experts said that the Queen's message of support for Camilla — who was once a royal mistress — is a hugely significant intervention.

"This is the most extraordinary message. The Queen is ensuring the transition, when it comes, to her son as king is as seamless and trouble free as possible," Peter Hunt, former BBC royal correspondent, said.

“She’s future-proofing an institution she’s served for seventy years. And for Camilla, the journey from being the third person in a marriage to queen-in-waiting, is complete.”

Camilla will technically be “Queen Consort” when Charles accedes to the throne unless legislation prevents it.

Insiders also emphasised that they carefully used the verb "to intend" in Camilla's previous wishes, making it open to change in the future.

The Prince of Wales' website removed any mention of "Princess Consort" during its update in 2018.

Sponsored
Personally, I dislike both Charles and Camilla and think Prince William and Kate should take over the monarchy. I have always blamed Charles and Camilla or Princess Diana's death. He should never have married her.

Personally, I dislike both Charles and Camilla and think Prince William and Kate should take over the monarchy. I have always blamed Charles and Camilla or Princess Diana's death. He should never have married her.

Reactions: Defiant540
Queen says Camilla will be known as “Queen Consort” when Prince Charles accedes to the throne

Queen Elizabeth II has expressed her "sincere wish" that Camilla will be known as “Queen Consort” when Prince Charles takes over the throne in her Platinum Jubilee message.

In Her Majesty's message to the nation, the monarch set out her hopes for the Duchess of Cornwall to be recognized as Queen Consort despite previous reports stating that Camilla did not want to be queen and "intended" to be known as "Princess Consort" instead.

It should be noted that the wife of a King takes the title of "Queen Consort" upon her husband's accession to the throne.

However, if Camilla’s previous wishes were to come true, it would be the first time in British history that the wife of the King was to be known as "Princess Consort".

Lcdxw3i7F5XpmSlhczLXmCk3tY0dU6WyPq_ewrMSykzkougPt_3cwb_lprqhxWCGy9UpmKVHpj8zPKsjtGnpMohl7NrEW-XptrCcCjVn8UAh1gxEMKsKAq36Y_YNqU0D8dpXBlo

Queen Elizabeth II expressed her support for Camilla to be recognised as “Queen Consort” when Charles accedes to the throne during her Platinum Jubilee message. Credit: Ross Setford/AAP Image.

As the Queen reaches her 70th year on the throne, Her Majesty addressed the public to share her succession support for her eldest son, Prince Charles, as monarch.

The 95-year-old monarch said in a written message: "I would like to express my thanks to you all for your support. I remain eternally grateful for, and humbled by, the loyalty and affection that you continue to give me."

“And when, in the fullness of time, my son Charles becomes King, I know you will give him and his wife Camilla the same support that you have given me; and it is my sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.”

Queen Elizabeth II, who is approaching her 96th birthday this year, renewed her lifelong pledge of duty after acceding to the throne on February 6, 1952, on King George VI's death.

Her Majesty also paid tribute to her late husband, Prince Philip, for his service as consort.

Queen Elizabeth II also expressed her gratitude to her family for their support and made reference to Queen Mother's role as Queen Consort.

The Queen wrote: “I am fortunate to have had the steadfast and loving support of my family. I was blessed that in Prince Philip I had a partner willing to carry out the role of consort and unselfishly make the sacrifices that go with it."

“It is a role I saw my own mother perform during my father’s reign.”

HEAMU8jFG2R6nB-deb-FgX65zQQ3RGvzuTzV8x9lmONU-ox0U7sgpwokPkwGs9Y8wdnkQbvs77FvZF9sN0NkRYRjp2m5FvcirZqCK_rL-1J1mu1WibbT5EjfzK5K0m3pprqFwpA

Insiders reported that the Duchess of Cornwall intended to be called “Princess Consort” when her husband, Prince Charles, accedes to the throne — a first in the British history. Credit: Chris Jackson/AP.

Royal experts said that the Queen's message of support for Camilla — who was once a royal mistress — is a hugely significant intervention.

"This is the most extraordinary message. The Queen is ensuring the transition, when it comes, to her son as king is as seamless and trouble free as possible," Peter Hunt, former BBC royal correspondent, said.

“She’s future-proofing an institution she’s served for seventy years. And for Camilla, the journey from being the third person in a marriage to queen-in-waiting, is complete.”

Camilla will technically be “Queen Consort” when Charles accedes to the throne unless legislation prevents it.

Insiders also emphasised that they carefully used the verb "to intend" in Camilla's previous wishes, making it open to change in the future.

The Prince of Wales' website removed any mention of "Princess Consort" during its update in 2018.

she is an ugly B***ch!

Reactions: vw