Queen Mary 'overwhelmed' as King Frederik's one-word bombshell dispels rumours

As the adage goes, with great power comes great responsibility.

In a candid and rare interview, Queen Mary of Denmark openly admitted feeling 'overwhelmed' in her new role as Queen.

Meanwhile, King Frederik made a subtle yet powerful statement that had the public and media reading between the lines.

The highly-anticipated interview came after a turbulent period for the Danish monarchy, marked by King Frederik's 'affair' rumours.

The interview coincided with their annual visit to Sweden and other countries aboard the royal ship Dannebrog—a traditional task for the monarch.

The royal couple, who recently ascended to the throne, sat down together to share their thoughts about their new responsibilities, the transition of power from Queen Margrethe, and the future they envision for their reign.

compressed-queen and king denmarrk.jpeg
King Frederik and Queen Mary as they arrived in their summer residence along with the Dannebrog. Image Credit: Instagram/Danish Queen Consort

The royal couple's relationship was scrutinised since photos of then-Crown Prince Frederik with socialite Genoveva Casanova circulated, sparking widespread concern among royal watchers.

In the face of scrutiny, the couple's interview presented a united front.

'We have embarked on our calling and our work, which symbolically happens with this action on the royal ship. It is very special,' he stated as he emphasised their commitment to their roles and to each other.

King Frederik's repeated use of 'we' throughout the interview was a linguistic choice and a message of solidarity and partnership.

Royal House commentator Jakob Steen Olsen interpreted the interview's timing and the couple's language as an attempt to 'get off to a good start without any unpleasant questions or agendas'.

The interview served as a 'launching pad' for the couple, who have maintained a dignified silence since the scandal broke.

Despite the united front, Queen Mary's admission of feeling 'overwhelmed' at times since taking on the mantle of Queen was a moment of vulnerability that resonated with many.

'It is very new, and there are many changes and decisions,' she shared.

Originally from Tasmania, the Queen’s transformation from a real estate agent in Australia to a member of European royalty has been watched by both Danes and Australians for over twenty years.
Queen Mary also shared a poignant reflection on the moment her husband became King.

'I stood with the children, and when you stepped out onto the balcony towards your fate, it was a moment that moved me incredibly. We could hear and feel it, even if we couldn't see it. It was a beautiful moment. I was both very happy and very proud,' she said.

The couple's focus on the everyday tasks and traditional engagements of monarchy—with plans to gradually introduce their influence—suggested a careful and respectful approach to their new positions.

Footage from the visit showed the King and Queen engaging playfully with each other and the public softened their image and reassured those concerned about their marriage.

Comments from the public were a mix of relief and continued support for the couple.

'They look like they have made up!' one commented.

'Good to see them laughing together again,' another wrote.

The world watches keenly as the Danish monarchy turns a new page with King Frederik and Queen Mary at the helm.
Key Takeaways

• Queen Mary of Denmark admitted in an interview she felt 'overwhelmed' since becoming Queen.
  • King Frederik repeatedly used 'we' during the interview, which showed unity amidst rumours.
  • Royal commentator Jakob Steen Olsen suggested the couple aimed to start their reign without negativity and speculation.
  • The couple's recent interview on the royal ship Dannebrog was portrayed as a 'launching pad' to move past scandal and focus on their roles and responsibilities as King and Queen.
We wish King Frederik and Queen Mary all the best for their reign.

Sponsored
Oh my. I hope the comment from member ‘Argee’ was not aimed at the SDC members who are only trying to do their best to bring us news and information, most of which is being reported in the wider press and copied on this site for us.

If your last comment ‘Argee’ was directed at SDC staff, I hope you are banned from this site. There is no need for that - your rude comments and beliefs should be just that and kept to yourself, not made public here.

My belief is that there is too much reported on people's private lives. Those catch words like "grim" and "bombshell" - all used to sensationalise reports that are not notably important. This is a family, and like every other on the planet, they have issues. Why is there apparently this insatiable need to prioritise other people's woes? "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Do you now get my point, as others you will read have also reflected my views.

Oh my. I hope the comment from member ‘Argee’ was not aimed at the SDC members who are only trying to do their best to bring us news and information, most of which is being reported in the wider press and copied on this site for us.

If your last comment ‘Argee’ was directed at SDC staff, I hope you are banned from this site. There is no need for that - your rude comments and beliefs should be just that and kept to yourself, not made public here.
Agree with your message, there is no excuse for bad language.

Reactions: wendell and Robeo56
their private life shoukd be just that: private!! It nobody elses business but the couple (and their chikdren, close family to a degree).
Something else: the Olympic Games seem to be a place for Scandinavian royals to find their future queen! Remember 1972, Olympic Games in Munich? Swedish King Carl Gustav met Silvia, a young German who worked as a "hostess". our jobs as hostesses were to show people to their seats, translate during gala dinners etc. Silvia is now Queen of Sweden. Not a single scandal around her that I can remember, and it s been more than 50 years!

"We", when uttered by King or Queen or a Great Leader, has a more deep meaning than just "us"' and should have the scandal-mongers Wormtonguing their self-promotional ways around assorted meanings in that one word for the next few years.

They are in the public eye worldwide. King Frederik certainly wasn't discreet and put himself in that predicament. At the time, I felt for our Aussie Mary with the media coverage. However, pleased they have moved on.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I suppose one could be a tad cynical with the observation that both of them have fulfilled a purpose of bringing fresh blood into a contaminated mix? Notwithstanding Diana to a certain extent, although to a certain extent one made it through the birth canal the latter through the metaphorical arsehole?

Last edited: