Qantas reveals frequent flyer program overhaul to revolutionise your travel

Qantas is set to give its frequent flyer program a major facelift, aiming to win back customer loyalty and spruce up its reputation after a series of setbacks.

With the airline industry facing unprecedented challenges and competition, Qantas is not just looking to repair its image but to revolutionise the way its 15 million members use and enjoy their travel benefits.

Starting 1 July, under the leadership of new CEO Vanessa Hudson, Qantas frequent flyers can expect to navigate a more rewarding sky.

The revamp introduces a brand-new tier, Classic Plus Flight Rewards, which promises to bridge the gap between the existing Classic Flight Rewards and Points Plus Pay levels.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 8.04.07 AM.png
Qantas Classic Plus Flight Rewards is a new way to enjoy your Qantas Points. Credit: Qantas / YouTube

This move is a strategic response to the feedback from frequent flyers who have long voiced concerns over the scarcity of reward seats and the flexibility of point usage.

The Australian Financial Review has had a sneak peek at the draft documents outlining the proposed changes, and the details were quite intriguing.

Classic Plus Flight Rewards is set to offer a conversion rate of one point to one cent for economy flights and an even more attractive rate of 1.5 cents for business class.

This new tier is designed to be exclusive to Qantas flights, distinguishing it from partner airlines such as Jetstar and Emirates.

One of the most significant changes is the increased availability of seats that can be purchased with points.

Frequent flyers will have more opportunities to book seats in premium cabins, especially during peak travel times.

The introduction of Classic Plus Flight Rewards is a game-changer. It offers more flexibility and availability, albeit at a higher point cost compared to Classic Flight Rewards.

For example, a $12,000 return fare to London could cost 289,200 points as a Classic Flight Rewards seat.

With Classic Plus Flight Rewards, the same seat would require 800,000 points—a substantial increase but still significantly less than the 1.7 million points needed for a Points Plus Pay ticket.

A Qantas spokesperson said, 'We're finalising improvements to our frequent flyers program, which are responding to what members are telling us about the importance of redeeming points for flights at the times they most want to fly.'

Moreover, the Qantas overhaul included a practical feature: passengers can now get flights refunded for a fee of 6,000 points, adding a layer of flexibility to their travel plans.

You can watch Qantas’ promotional video on Classic Plus Flight Rewards:

Credit: Qantas / YouTube

Key Takeaways
  • Qantas is set to overhaul its frequent flyer loyalty program with a new tier called Classic Plus Flight Rewards.
  • The Classic Plus Flight Rewards will offer better conversion rates for points into currency and aims to increase the availability of premium cabin seats for frequent flyers.
  • Classic Plus Flight Rewards will only apply to Qantas flights, not Jetstar or partner airlines, and aims to offer frequent flyers more flexibility.
  • The Qantas frequent flyer program changes are in response to customer feedback and the airline's need to improve its reputation following recent controversies.
Are you a Qantas frequent flyer member looking forward to the new Classic Plus Flight Rewards? Do you think these changes will enhance your travel experience? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: jennyst7
Sponsored
Any chance of more legroom in cattle class.? No? Ok, forget Qantas.

Both my husband and I had a fair number of FF points when Covid stopped all travel here in Australia making it impossible to redeem them when flying began again as they had expired.

I'm over Qantas they stole over 250,000 points from me when I was nursing my dying husband I didn't realise it until I took the time out to look at my computer. All they said that there was no movement on my FF account so they redeemed them but still left my account open. What for???