Qantas passenger's 'entitled' behaviour sparks fierce debate

A familiar in-flight quarrel has again taken flight online, reigniting the age-old aeroplane etiquette debate: who gets the armrests?

The heated discussion was sparked by Louise Adler, an Australian publisher who recently shared a photo on social media of a male passenger on a QantasLink flight taking up both armrests beside him.

'Asking for a friend: Why do blokes assume they are entitled to two armrests?' she captioned the post.

Adler's photo immediately struck a chord, with many outraged at what they perceived as a display of male entitlement and privilege.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 2.52.05 PM.png
Arguments over the use of plane seat armrests are a common occurrence. What would you do? Credit: X, Unsplash.

'Just the sight of this makes my blood boil. Hot coffee?' one woman responded.

Another woman commented, 'Presumably the same reason as they feel entitled to spread their legs on the train, taking up half the next seat's leg space?'

A third shared their sentiments and added a personal experience, saying: 'If I sit next to a guy, this almost always happens (plus taking up my leg space). If I travel with my husband and he sits next to another guy it never happens to him.'

'They know how to respect each other's space, but not women's…'

However, others argued the man likely wasn't even aware of the apparent faux pas.

'I bet he never even realised he was doing this because the thought never crossed his mind, and he may never have been told he does this,' one user argued in the bloke's defence.

Some also suggested that gender was not the issue in these situations, with one user commenting: 'I've seen women and men use two armrests. Children too. Hope that puts your stereotype to rest.'

'There's no gender bias when it comes to armrests on a plane. First come, first served. You snooze, you lose,' added another.

So, who is in the right when it comes to the battle for the armrests? A flight attendant said it ultimately comes down to consideration.

'Nobody has ownership over an armrest. They are a mutual space,' they explained. 'There are four armrests shared between three seats.'

Flight crews are taught how to handle disputes over seats, but no official rule assigns a specific number of armrests to passengers.

When the plane is full, passengers need to share the armrests. However, if there are empty seats, flight attendants will try rearranging passengers to give everyone more space.

Key Takeaways

• A heated online debate started after a photo was posted of a man on a QantasLink flight using both armrests.
  • The post was made by Australian publisher Louise Adler, who questioned the man's assumption of entitlement to both armrests.
  • The online response was divided, with some agreeing with Adler and criticising the man, while others defended the man and suggested speaking up rather than complaining online.
  • A Qantas flight attendant stated that there is no official protocol for armrest ownership, and they are considered 'shared spaces', suggesting that passengers should be considerate of each other in crowded situations.

You read it here, folks! Remember, when it comes to those armrests on your flight, sharing is caring! Being considerate can make the journey more comfortable for everyone.

Have you ever faced this situation? Share your experiences with us in the comments. Safe travels!

Reactions: Desmondorama
Sponsored
A
A familiar in-flight quarrel has again taken flight online, reigniting the age-old aeroplane etiquette debate: who gets the armrests?

The heated discussion was sparked by Louise Adler, an Australian publisher who recently shared a photo on social media of a male passenger on a QantasLink flight taking up both armrests beside him.

'Asking for a friend: Why do blokes assume they are entitled to two armrests?' she captioned the post.

Adler's photo immediately struck a chord, with many outraged at what they perceived as a display of male entitlement and privilege.

View attachment 33140
Arguments over the use of plane seat armrests are a common occurrence. What would you do? Credit: X, Unsplash.

Another woman commented, 'Presumably the same reason as they feel entitled to spread their legs on the train, taking up half the next seat's leg space?'

A third shared their sentiments and added a personal experience, saying: 'If I sit next to a guy, this almost always happens (plus taking up my leg space). If I travel with my husband and he sits next to another guy it never happens to him.'

However, others argued the man likely wasn't even aware of the apparent faux pas.

'I bet he never even realised he was doing this because the thought never crossed his mind, and he may never have been told he does this,' one user argued in the bloke's defence.

Some also suggested that gender was not the issue in these situations, with one user commenting: 'I've seen women and men use two armrests. Children too. Hope that puts your stereotype to rest.'

'There's no gender bias when it comes to armrests on a plane. First come, first served. You snooze, you lose,' added another.

So, who is in the right when it comes to the battle for the armrests? A flight attendant said it ultimately comes down to consideration.

'Nobody has ownership over an armrest. They are a mutual space,' they explained. 'There are four armrests shared between three seats.'

Flight crews are taught how to handle disputes over seats, but no official rule assigns a specific number of armrests to passengers.

When the plane is full, passengers need to share the armrests. However, if there are empty seats, flight attendants will try rearranging passengers to give everyone more space.

Key Takeaways

• A heated online debate started after a photo was posted of a man on a QantasLink flight using both armrests.
  • The post was made by Australian publisher Louise Adler, who questioned the man's assumption of entitlement to both armrests.
  • The online response was divided, with some agreeing with Adler and criticising the man, while others defended the man and suggested speaking up rather than complaining online.
  • A Qantas flight attendant stated that there is no official protocol for armrest ownership, and they are considered 'shared spaces', suggesting that passengers should be considerate of each other in crowded situations.

You read it here, folks! Remember, when it comes to those armrests on your flight, sharing is caring! Being considerate can make the journey more comfortable for everyone.

Have you ever faced this situation? Share your experiences with us in the comments. Safe travels!
All of these issues would be avoided if airlines simply had aircraft built to provide enough arm, leg and bum space. Instead it's all about pack as many sardines into the flying tin and hope everyone is happy to be squished in!

View attachment 33140

Key Takeaways

Sometimes it’s up to you to politely make someone aware that they are ‘hogging’ the space - I don’t think we should jump on men because they’re men! There are some VERY entitled women out there don’t worry!! I worked in retail for /5 years the men win hands down for being more polite! Ok not so many shopped as women but that does not excuse the entitled 40-60 yr old women who thought their 💩didn’t smell!!! Everyone needs to be considerate to others but there are just some who will never get it so don’t stress over it! The only thing I can’t stand is the kids who play video games on screens situated at back of your seat!
That gets a bit wearing but besides that, don’t have big expectations of having “wonderful, caring, thoughtful “ peeps next to you on planes ✈️ Have a great flight😂🤣😅🙄☀️😊

View attachment 33140

Key Takeaways

I do agree the arm rest is open slather first in best rest, I do argue the size of people does come into it. Big shoulders you have no choice. Airlines have to stop the seat shrinkage

Reactions: dawnief52
Sometimes it’s up to you to politely make someone aware that they are ‘hogging’ the space - I don’t think we should jump on men because they’re men! There are some VERY entitled women out there don’t worry!! I worked in retail for /5 years the men win hands down for being more polite! Ok not so many shopped as women but that does not excuse the entitled 40-60 yr old women who thought their 💩didn’t smell!!! Everyone needs to be considerate to others but there are just some who will never get it so don’t stress over it! The only thing I can’t stand is the kids who play video games on screens situated at back of your seat!
That gets a bit wearing but besides that, don’t have big expectations of having “wonderful, caring, thoughtful “ peeps next to you on planes ✈️ Have a great flight😂🤣😅🙄☀️😊
😹

View attachment 33140

Key Takeaways

I did hear a lady halfway through the flight if the guy next to wouldn’t mind if she had an armrest as she had just had an operation for breast cancer (true) I thing he would have given her whatever she wanted.