Qantas passenger met with ‘gross’ business lounge food

When we think of the perks of flying business class, we often imagine a world of luxury and impeccable service, especially in airline lounges.

These exclusive spaces are supposed to offer a comfortable haven and quality dining options for those paying for premium.

However, a recent incident at a Qantas business lounge has left passengers questioning the standards they can expect from the flagship carrier.

A frequent flyer, who chose to remain anonymous, was waiting for their delayed flight at Sydney Airport's Qantas lounge on April 1.

While waiting, they decided to make a sandwich at the lounge's food station.

To their dismay, the bread provided by the lounge had a mouldy centre.

This 'gross' find has sparked a conversation among travellers about the current state of Qantas lounges and the airline's overall service quality.

compressed-moldy bread.jpeg
An anonymous passenger discovers a mortifying surprise in Qantas Business Lounge at Sydney. Image Credit: Reddit

'I took it up and waited a while to get a staff member's attention,' they recounted.

'No apology, they just took it back towards the kitchen and a few minutes later a staff member checked the bread and selectively removed about half of it.'

Several passengers had unknowingly used the mouldy bread to make their sandwiches.

This incident isn't isolated.

Other travellers have shared their disappointing experiences with the airline, citing stale food options and overcrowded spaces.

One traveller recounted their first visit to the Brisbane lounge. Despite feeling like a ‘cool kid’, the lounge fell short of expectations.

‘Walked in, looked at the stale food options and the filled seating, turned around, then headed to the nearest cafe for a hot breakfast with a good coffee…’ they said.

‘Went to make a toastie in the business lounge in Melbourne on 23rd of March and my bread also had mould in it. Same small dot on the inner part of the loaf! Gross!’ another customer recounted.

The frequency of these reports suggests an indicative decline in Qantas's service standards, and some loyal customers think so, too.

Despite being a ‘Lifetime Gold Qantas frequent flyer' for over 20 years, a customer shared he stopped flying with the airline due to 'increased costs and declining service'.

As of writing, Qantas has not issued any statement regarding the concern.

The airline recently announced a $100 million investment in customer comfort, including a revamp of the Sydney International Business Lounge.

This investment could be a step towards restoring the airline's reputation for quality and service excellence.

This story serves as a reminder to be vigilant with food quality, even in reputable establishments.

If you encounter a similar situation, do not hesitate to bring it to the staff's attention and raise your concerns to higher management if necessary.
Key Takeaways

• A Qantas business lounge at Sydney Airport has been called out by a passenger who found mould on their sandwich bread.
  • Despite raising the issue with staff, the bread was only selectively removed, with no apology to the passenger.
  • This incident has sparked discussion among frequent flyers, with many sharing similar negative experiences in Qantas lounges.
  • Qantas's Sydney International Business Lounge is set for a complete refresh as part of a $100 million investment in customer comfort.
Have you encountered similar issues in airline lounges? Share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: PattiB
Sponsored
Bread mould is the worst of all and goes through the loaf unseen but people
shit happens. It’s not good but here and there it happens in the food business.
I've been 50 years in hospitality, long time in catering and have been lucky!
I do care excessively but sure it could happen to me but not old bread 😜
Be more forgiving!

Qantas service has deteriorated. My last trip they ran out of food options. So I had to eat what was left. It wasn't a good meal. The aircraft decor was shabby. I was not impressed, I was flying premium economy.

Qantas seems to have forgotten that it makes its profits from the everyday mums and dads and families that have flown with it in the past. We always flew Qantas but since Joyce murdered this iconic Australian we don't even bother looking at at Qantas fares. We much prefer Singapore Airlines for quality service in all areas. It's fine to look after your business and first class travellers Qantas but they certainly don't make up the bulk of the passengers that are needed to fill each of your planes. Sorry but even the new frequent flyer programme doesn't work for the average person. You are soooo out of touch with the Australian people you need to get off your high horses and come back down to the ground or else you will never be The Flying Kangaroo again but just a Bungarra.