Qantas makes major change to in-flight mobile phone use rules

In an era where almost everybody has a camera in their pocket, it's never been easier to document our daily experiences, the fascinating people we meet on our journeys, and the intriguing situations we find ourselves in—especially when travelling.

But with this freedom to snap, film, and post, some argue that there should also come a certain level of responsibility.

After all, not everyone might be comfortable finding themselves as the subject of a viral video without their consent.

In line with this, flag carrier Qantas has made a significant change to its in-flight mobile phone rules.

The Australian airline has updated its Conditions of Carriage to include a new clause that could impact how passengers use their devices during flights.

SDC 25.png
Qantas has announced changes in their Conditions of Carriage. Image source: Shutterstock.

As of November 8, under section 12 of 'Conduct During Flight', passengers are now required to 'seek consent before filming or photographing Qantas Group staff, contractors or other customers'.

This move is believed to be a proactive measure to protect the privacy of passengers and staff from being unwillingly featured in videos or photos on social media platforms.

The change comes after an incident where a video of a fight between passengers on a Qantas flight bound for the Northern Territory surfaced online.

The video, which quickly went viral, raised questions about the privacy and rights of those involved.

The new rule has been met with praise from many quarters.

'It really bugs me how many people film everything lately. Especially other people’s misfortunes just so they can be first to post it on their preferred social media platform,' one user wrote on the Australian Frequent Flyer website.

'Finally, what a great move,' another added.

'I totally agree with this decision. I always feel annoyed for other passengers who are clearly not happy to be filmed,' a third commented.

While one user questioned the rule, saying: 'I can see this policy being taken advantage of, especially if you are receiving rude customer service beyond what is acceptable…without physical evidence, it will become a he said/she said scenario, with only witnesses, capable of giving a testimony. It will all come down to interpretation of events and hard to analyze actual facts.'

'One big reason this rule is made is to protect the Qantas company. Imagine videos of rude staff going viral right now. Not a good time for that,' another added.

Another traveller wondered: 'As someone who travels with their GoPro I do find this change concerning as I tend to mount the GoPro to the window when flying to capture some nice plane cough for my trip reports. Will this not be allowed?'

The Impact of Social Media on Air Travel

The advent of social media has significantly changed the way we travel. From sharing check-in statuses at airports to posting in-flight selfies and meal photos, social media has become an integral part of the travel experience for many.

However, this trend has also led to concerns about privacy and consent, particularly when passengers are filmed or photographed without their permission.

In-flight altercations, unruly behaviour, and other incidents often make for viral content, but they also raise ethical questions about the rights of those being filmed.

The new Qantas rule is a step towards addressing these concerns, ensuring that passengers and staff have a say in whether they appear in someone else's social media post.

The new rule also underscores the importance of respecting the personal space and privacy of others, even in public spaces like an aeroplane cabin. It also serves as a reminder that not everyone may be comfortable being part of a stranger’s media.

That said, it may limit the ability of passengers to document their travel experiences freely, especially those not intending to feature any people in their footage or are respectful of others’ right to privacy.
Key Takeaways
  • Qantas has introduced new conditions, requiring passengers to get consent before filming or photographing other airline passengers and staff on their flights.
  • The airline updated its Conditions of Carriage on November 8 to include these changes under section 12 of 'Conduct During Flight'.
  • This update is believed to have been made to protect passengers and staff from being unknowingly featured in videos on social media.
  • Numerous people praised Qantas for the new rules and expressed annoyance over the prevalent practice of filming others without consent.
What are your thoughts on this new rule, dear members? Do you think it's a step in the right direction? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an era where almost everybody has a camera in their pocket, it's never been easier to document our daily experiences, the fascinating people we meet on our journeys, and the intriguing situations we find ourselves in—especially when travelling.

But with this freedom to snap, film, and post, some argue that there should also come a certain level of responsibility.

After all, not everyone might be comfortable finding themselves as the subject of a viral video without their consent.

In line with this, flag carrier Qantas has made a significant change to its in-flight mobile phone rules.

The Australian airline has updated its Conditions of Carriage to include a new clause that could impact how passengers use their devices during flights.

View attachment 37321
Qantas has announced changes in their Conditions of Carriage. Image source: Shutterstock.

As of November 8, under section 12 of 'Conduct During Flight', passengers are now required to 'seek consent before filming or photographing Qantas Group staff, contractors or other customers'.

This move is believed to be a proactive measure to protect the privacy of passengers and staff from being unwillingly featured in videos or photos on social media platforms.

The change comes after an incident where a video of a fight between passengers on a Qantas flight bound for the Northern Territory surfaced online.

The video, which quickly went viral, raised questions about the privacy and rights of those involved.

The new rule has been met with praise from many quarters.

'It really bugs me how many people film everything lately. Especially other people’s misfortunes just so they can be first to post it on their preferred social media platform,' one user wrote on the Australian Frequent Flyer website.

'Finally, what a great move,' another added.

'I totally agree with this decision. I always feel annoyed for other passengers who are clearly not happy to be filmed,' a third commented.

While one user questioned the rule, saying: 'I can see this policy being taken advantage of, especially if you are receiving rude customer service beyond what is acceptable…without physical evidence, it will become a he said/she said scenario, with only witnesses, capable of giving a testimony. It will all come down to interpretation of events and hard to analyze actual facts.'

'One big reason this rule is made is to protect the Qantas company. Imagine videos of rude staff going viral right now. Not a good time for that,' another added.

Another traveller wondered: 'As someone who travels with their GoPro I do find this change concerning as I tend to mount the GoPro to the window when flying to capture some nice plane cough for my trip reports. Will this not be allowed?'

The Impact of Social Media on Air Travel

The advent of social media has significantly changed the way we travel. From sharing check-in statuses at airports to posting in-flight selfies and meal photos, social media has become an integral part of the travel experience for many.

However, this trend has also led to concerns about privacy and consent, particularly when passengers are filmed or photographed without their permission.

In-flight altercations, unruly behaviour, and other incidents often make for viral content, but they also raise ethical questions about the rights of those being filmed.

The new Qantas rule is a step towards addressing these concerns, ensuring that passengers and staff have a say in whether they appear in someone else's social media post.

The new rule also underscores the importance of respecting the personal space and privacy of others, even in public spaces like an aeroplane cabin. It also serves as a reminder that not everyone may be comfortable being part of a stranger’s media.

That said, it may limit the ability of passengers to document their travel experiences freely, especially those not intending to feature any people in their footage or are respectful of others’ right to privacy.
Key Takeaways

• Qantas has introduced new conditions, requiring passengers to get consent before filming or photographing other airline passengers and staff on their flights.
  • The airline updated its Conditions of Carriage on November 8 to include these changes under section 12 of 'Conduct During Flight'.
  • This update is believed to have been made to protect passengers and staff from being unknowingly featured in videos on social media.
  • Numerous people praised Qantas for the new rules and expressed annoyance over the prevalent practice of filming others without consent.
What are your thoughts on this new rule, dear members? Do you think it's a step in the right direction? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Point that camera at me, you will wear it.

Protecting their staff. I always like the way other people's videos help the police. They even ask for videos for their investigation.