Qantas faces backlash after ‘disturbing' leaked forum posts about female pilots

These days, discrimination against women in the workplace remains a significant problem, despite the apparent fact that discrimination in any form is entirely unfair and unjustified.

In a disturbing and offensive turn of events, Qantas came under fire when offensive and 'completely unacceptable' leaked messages posted in an online forum were released to the public by Herald Sun.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 091719.png
One of the comments made by a Qantas pilot in the forum. Credit: Herald Sun

This controversial forum–believed to be moderated by a Qantas captain–included shocking criticisms of female pilots and discriminatory comments about their flexible work arrangements.

The wake of this scandal has led to Qantas chief pilot, Dick Tobiano, publicly denouncing the forum messages, saying in a statement: 'These comments are completely unacceptable. They’re offensive, don’t reflect our values and have no place here or in any other workplace. We have many talented female pilots at Qantas, and we want to encourage a lot more of them.’

‘Aviation hasn’t been good at that historically and clearly some outdated thinking still exists in some pockets.'

The criticism of female pilots on the forum also covered Qantas’ announcement for 50 scholarships for female students, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to their Qantas Group Pilot Academy, which was announced the same day news broke that Vanessa Hudson was appointed Qantas’ first female CEO.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 092525.png
Qantas offers 50 scholarships to female students and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. Credit: @qantas/Instagram

One writer in the forum described the scholarships as 'overt discrimination', while another post described female pilots as having 'advantages in every area', being able to 'run their breeding program' and having access to 'cushy jobs in the office at twice the pay of the other full-time staff.'

Qantas has announced that two of the pilots involved in the online forum no longer work for the company, while a third is currently under investigation and not flying.

As of writing, only about 7 per cent of Qantas pilots and 15 per cent of QantasLink pilots are female.

Qantas’ commitment to the cause of increasing diversity in the aviation industry is admirable. While Qantas’ public denouncement of these comments serves as a warning to those still holding outdated beliefs, it has also highlighted the reality in many sectors and industries.

We can continue progressing towards an equitable society through initiatives like Qantas’s female pilot scholarships and women-only career development programs. It’s time for further action to break down systemic barriers to ensure women everywhere can access equal opportunities.

Key Takeaways

• Qantas' chief pilot Dick Tobiano has vehemently condemned 'offensive' and 'completely unacceptable' comments about their female pilots found in an online forum.
  • The forum, containing controversial posts about a supposed influx of female pilots seeking flexible work arrangements, was reportedly moderated by a Qantas captain.
  • The company confirmed that two pilots involved in the forum no longer work with them, while a third is under investigation.
  • Qantas aims to encourage more female pilots through their scholarship offerings for female students and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

Members, what do you think of this story? Have you ever experienced or witnessed workplace discrimination? Let us know your thoughts and experiences in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
So a company is doing the right thing by allowing couples, not just women, to have a family, and be able to continue working that fits in with being able to parent their children. And then women do not lose their status as a pilot. If men could give birth to children, they would expect this too.

These days, discrimination against women in the workplace remains a significant problem, despite the apparent fact that discrimination in any form is entirely unfair and unjustified.

In a disturbing and offensive turn of events, Qantas came under fire when offensive and 'completely unacceptable' leaked messages posted in an online forum were released to the public by Herald Sun.

View attachment 26567

This controversial forum–believed to be moderated by a Qantas captain–included shocking criticisms of female pilots and discriminatory comments about their flexible work arrangements.

The wake of this scandal has led to Qantas chief pilot, Dick Tobiano, publicly denouncing the forum messages, saying in a statement: 'These comments are completely unacceptable. They’re offensive, don’t reflect our values and have no place here or in any other workplace. We have many talented female pilots at Qantas, and we want to encourage a lot more of them.’

‘Aviation hasn’t been good at that historically and clearly some outdated thinking still exists in some pockets.'

The criticism of female pilots on the forum also covered Qantas’ announcement for 50 scholarships for female students, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to their Qantas Group Pilot Academy, which was announced the same day news broke that Vanessa Hudson was appointed Qantas’ first female CEO.

View attachment 26568
Qantas offers 50 scholarships to female students and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. Credit: @qantas/Instagram

One writer in the forum described the scholarships as 'overt discrimination', while another post described female pilots as having 'advantages in every area', being able to 'run their breeding program' and having access to 'cushy jobs in the office at twice the pay of the other full-time staff.'

Qantas has announced that two of the pilots involved in the online forum no longer work for the company, while a third is currently under investigation and not flying.

As of writing, only about 7 per cent of Qantas pilots and 15 per cent of QantasLink pilots are female.

Qantas’ commitment to the cause of increasing diversity in the aviation industry is admirable. While Qantas’ public denouncement of these comments serves as a warning to those still holding outdated beliefs, it has also highlighted the reality in many sectors and industries.

We can continue progressing towards an equitable society through initiatives like Qantas’s female pilot scholarships and women-only career development programs. It’s time for further action to break down systemic barriers to ensure women everywhere can access equal opportunities.

Key Takeaways

• Qantas' chief pilot Dick Tobiano has vehemently condemned 'offensive' and 'completely unacceptable' comments about their female pilots found in an online forum.
  • The forum, containing controversial posts about a supposed influx of female pilots seeking flexible work arrangements, was reportedly moderated by a Qantas captain.
  • The company confirmed that two pilots involved in the forum no longer work with them, while a third is under investigation.
  • Qantas aims to encourage more female pilots through their scholarship offerings for female students and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

Members, what do you think of this story? Have you ever experienced or witnessed workplace discrimination? Let us know your thoughts and experiences in the comments.
Take away all that disgusting language from that forum. It's horribly written and primitive. "Gender" comments are null and void. So why are companies measuring with gender percentages? Seems this discrimination in itself. I look for the best person for the job. I for one, wouldn't want a pilot flying a plane solely based on their gender. How many females, would really want to be a pilot anyway? Haven’t we learnt through our police recruitment processes, when they were aiming to have 50/50 gender balance. Guess what, we have a police shortage. See a a pattern? So, if you really want to do a certain career. Meet the criteria and are able to do the entire job, including, the time, agility, including mental/physicality and shift work, go for it. Remember, we all have limitations and not suitable for all roles and jobs.

View attachment 26567

View attachment 26568

Key Takeaways

I say well done. I am over the females whinging about what they do not get compared to the male sector. No one seems to be happy that they have a job. Be thankful for small mercies. These old adages have a meaning.

Reactions: Leenie and Lolandy
So a company is doing the right thing by allowing couples, not just women, to have a family, and be able to continue working that fits in with being able to parent their children. And then women do not lose their status as a pilot. If men could give birth to children, they would expect this too.
a bloody big IF

I say well done. I am over the females whinging about what they do not get compared to the male sector. No one seems to be happy that they have a job. Be thankful for small mercies. These old adages have a meaning.
That's true, too many privileges. You figure out a way to make men (including you and your male offspring) breeders, then you can get the perks.

Take away all that disgusting language from that forum. It's horribly written and primitive. "Gender" comments are null and void. So why are companies measuring with gender percentages? Seems this discrimination in itself. I look for the best person for the job. I for one, wouldn't want a pilot flying a plane solely based on their gender. How many females, would really want to be a pilot anyway? Haven’t we learnt through our police recruitment processes, when they were aiming to have 50/50 gender balance. Guess what, we have a police shortage. See a a pattern? So, if you really want to do a certain career. Meet the criteria and are able to do the entire job, including, the time, agility, including mental/physicality and shift work, go for it. Remember, we all have limitations and not suitable for all roles and jobs.
There are a lot of men unsuitable to be police and pilots too.

Having always worked in a man’s world because raising my 2 children on my own required a man’s salary- I have always experienced discrimination and prejudice. So what! Just do the job, get the pay, and to hell with the whiners!
I don’t go to work to be popular, I needed the money and I worked hard to get it- harder than my male colleagues, however the discrimination continued into my seventies when I finally retired.
Get used to it girls, it’s character building and it isn’t going to change anytime soon despite laws and window dressing being put in place.
Don’t let it hold you back in any way.

I was discriminated in High School, I wanted to do tech drawing, no only boys are allowed to do that. I wanted to do woodwork, again, no only boys are allowed to do that. I tried to apply for metal work, again, that subject is only male students. I had two older brothers, they both did home science where is the equality in that.
So after I had my children, I studied engineering and was able to do what I wanted to do, there were obstacles. A few males who left there brains in the box when they were being handed out, but I knew I was better than them and did not resort to their snide remarks and low life ways.
I will admit that there were times that some females would go off on maternity leave and no sooner than they were back they would announce that they were pregnant again. Problem was the person who would fill their position was ten times better at the job than the one on maternity leave and we could not keep them, nor sack the slacker.
This 50/50 is bull crap it does not work, it will never work, the aim should always be for the best person for the job, be it male or female.

And I forgot to top it all off, my father said to me what does it feel like taking and man's job away from him.
And my daughter is a fully qualified boiler maker.

And I forgot to top it all off, my father said to me what does it feel like taking and man's job away from him.
And my daughter is a fully qualified boiler maker.
People need to stop being so precious, the best person for the job ,competition is a good thing.

Reactions: Jumping Jack Flash
It's fantastic that you pick the best person for the job, but this is not what happens everywhere. Often the best person for the job comes through a lens that favours males, at least in some industries. Also, certain political parties pre-select female candidates in hard-to-win seats, while pre-selecting males for seats they are most likely to win. And by the way, most airlines have a strict selection process, so the females have earned their spot, and they must be good at their job if the company supports them when they have a young family.