Protect yourself: Expert tricks to dodge aggressive magpies this swooping season!

As the Australian springtime heralds the return of warmer weather and blooming flowers, it also marks the beginning of a less welcome annual event: magpie swooping season.

Known for their dramatic aerial attacks, magpies can pose a risk to pedestrians and cyclists alike.

To help you stay safe during this annual event, it's crucial to be aware of effective strategies and precautions to avoid attracting their ire.

The magpie swooping season, which typically spans from September to October, sees these otherwise majestic birds become territorial defenders of their nests, leading to increased incidents of swooping on unsuspecting passersby.

‘They attack for a very particular reason: they have a job to do,’ Griffith University School of Environment and Science Professor Darryl Jones stated.

Their ‘attack zone’ extends 100 to 200 metres from their nest, with cyclists, walkers, and runners being the most common targets.

compressed-shutterstock_2009480396.jpeg
Australia's magpie swooping season is underway, with birds becoming highly territorial during nesting. Credit: Shutterstock

Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation (WIRES) Spokesperson John Grant explained that magpies will swoop and snap their beaks to warn off intruders.

‘They are not being aggressive just for the sake of it, and the kindest thing to do is to cross the road where possible or avoid nesting areas altogether until the chicks have fledged,’ he explained.

Australian authorities advised against approaching young magpies that have fallen from their nests and recommend not to retaliate or shout if a magpie swoops.

‘That will then prove you're a threat,’ Professor Jones warned.

Instead, it is recommended to steer clear of attack zones if you can locate their nest and generally maintain a safe distance from magpies during this season.

If you need to enter an attack zone, it’s advisable to wear protective clothing such as a hat or sunglasses and keep an eye on the magpie.

‘They always come behind you, and that's part of the deal,’ Professor Jones pointed out.

‘Keep your eyes on them and back away. They'll never attack from the front.’

Waving a stick or umbrella over your head can help deter magpies.

Cyclists are advised to use a bright flag on their bikes and attach cable ties to their helmets.

If a magpie starts swooping, remain calm and walk swiftly through the area without running. Cyclists should dismount and walk their bikes.

According to WIRES, magpie nesting season starts in September and concludes in October.

Magpie Alert has reported 1,332 swooping incidents and 152 injuries this year.

‘Only about 10 per cent of the magpies ever attack anybody…90 per cent never attack anybody,’ Professor Jones noted.

As magpie swooping season takes hold, staying informed about how to avoid attacks is crucial for your safety.

However, it's not just about dodging swoops—understanding how these clever birds adapt to urban environments can offer additional insights into their behaviour and help you navigate their territory more effectively.

For those interested in the fascinating ways magpies manage the hustle and bustle of our noisy cities, exploring their smart strategies can provide a deeper appreciation of these avian residents.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia's annual magpie swooping season is underway, with the birds becoming highly territorial during their nesting period.
  • People are advised to avoid magpie nesting areas and to take precautionary measures such as wearing hats and sunglasses to protect against swooping magpies.
  • Authorities warn against approaching young magpies on the ground and caution against fighting back during a swooping attack, as this can be perceived as a threat.
  • Magpie Alert has documented over a thousand swooping reports and multiple injuries, highlighting that while not all magpies swoop, being aware and prepared can help prevent attacks.
We are curious to hear about your encounters with magpies during the swooping season. Have you tried any of these strategies? Do you have any personal tips or stories to share? Your insights could help fellow members stay safe during this challenging time of year.

Sponsored
Maggies are not my favourite neighbors, I had some beautiful hanging baskets in full bloom at the beginning of September they were gorgeous to look at with some having flowering hanging vines nearly touching the ground, they were completely destroyed in one mass attack by the local Magpie family, I understand them wanting the cocoanut fibre in the basket liners for their nests but why destroy all of the plants as well, if we had a gun I would have shot the lot of them!!

We have had 2 encounters with magpies, that were not negative.
My husband and I were at the beach having fish and chips wrapped in paper, as most people do. The negative part of this were the radar that seagulls must have because before we knew what was happening, the amount of seagulls swarming us were incredible. Then along came 2 magpies. The magpies scared the seagulls away. I was so delighted that we gave the magpies a few chips, and away they went. The magpies saved us from the onslaught of the seagulls.

The other is just as amazing. WE have a nest of magpies in the tree in our front yard. They are obviously good breeders, because we always have a family of magpies in our yard. They are not at all vicious, in fact I am sure they think it is their home. They don't fly away when I am out there, they are quite tame.
Hence, I rather like and respect magpies.

Maggies are not my favourite neighbors, I had some beautiful hanging baskets in full bloom at the beginning of September they were gorgeous to look at with some having flowering hanging vines nearly touching the ground, they were completely destroyed in one mass attack by the local Magpie family, I understand them wanting the cocoanut fibre in the basket liners for their nests but why destroy all of the plants as well, if we had a gun I would have shot the lot of them!!
they get shot in NZ. not protected

My husband recently went to Mildura for a golf/footy weekend with his mates. The three of them were walking into town and a magpie relentlessly swooped my husband but not the other two. On the way back they crossed the four lane road to try and avoid it but again it went after my husband. He is a Sydney Swans supporter and one of his mates is Collingwood. His theory was the Swans had just beat the Magpies and this was the revenge lol

Bright flags, cable ties and faces painted on on helmets DON'T WORK. I recently read an article that states that magpies do not like flashing and or bright lights.

I have a Kindy across the road from where I live, just down the road from a primary school. For years now I have been throwing food scraps to the magpies in my area.

I also walk distances of 2 to 12 or more kms in my area. Plenty of dirt roads and magpies. I haven't been swooped in years.

Butcher birds which are smaller than maggies will destroy your plants - our maggies don't touch them ( apart from the young ones playing) - but the butcher birds are destructive little sods.

We have had 2 encounters with magpies, that were not negative.
My husband and I were at the beach having fish and chips wrapped in paper, as most people do. The negative part of this were the radar that seagulls must have because before we knew what was happening, the amount of seagulls swarming us were incredible. Then along came 2 magpies. The magpies scared the seagulls away. I was so delighted that we gave the magpies a few chips, and away they went. The magpies saved us from the onslaught of the seagulls.

The other is just as amazing. WE have a nest of magpies in the tree in our front yard. They are obviously good breeders, because we always have a family of magpies in our yard. They are not at all vicious, in fact I am sure they think it is their home. They don't fly away when I am out there, they are quite tame.
Hence, I rather like and respect magpies.
Yes we have had a family of magpies for 25 years - the matriarchs have passed on and some of their offspring have filled the gap. We have never been swooped - when we came here they were scared of humans but over time of us talking to them and giving them some food they became very friendly and would sit on my knee if I was sitting on the verandah. They follow me when I am in the garden ( as well as my hubby) because they know they will find goodies because Mum is disturbing things. They sing me a lovely song every time they see me and will hop on my shoulder and go for walks with me - we just love them being here along with our curlews and wood ducks etc all get along and all stop to have a chat.

Just love our native Australian Magpies.
A cautious approach near them during this period is necessary when all they are doing is protecting their home and their newborn. Take the advice given by local authorities and try to avoid their nesting area during this short time of the year. GO 'PIES.😊

Just love our native Australian Magpies.
A cautious approach near them during this period is necessary when all they are doing is protecting their home and their newborn. Take the advice given by local authorities and try to avoid their nesting area during this short time of the year. GO 'PIES.😊
ln the Blue Mountains we were attack by magpies at nesting time everytime we picked our our post

Yes we have had a family of magpies for 25 years - the matriarchs have passed on and some of their offspring have filled the gap. We have never been swooped - when we came here they were scared of humans but over time of us talking to them and giving them some food they became very friendly and would sit on my knee if I was sitting on the verandah. They follow me when I am in the garden ( as well as my hubby) because they know they will find goodies because Mum is disturbing things. They sing me a lovely song every time they see me and will hop on my shoulder and go for walks with me - we just love them being here along with our curlews and wood ducks etc all get along and all stop to have a chat.
I love this story your so lucky I’m jealous 😍

My husband recently went to Mildura for a golf/footy weekend with his mates. The three of them were walking into town and a magpie relentlessly swooped my husband but not the other two. On the way back they crossed the four lane road to try and avoid it but again it went after my husband. He is a Sydney Swans supporter and one of his mates is Collingwood. His theory was the Swans had just beat the Magpies and this was the revenge lol
🤣🤣🤣that’s funny go pies 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Colette 3799
I have had a persistent one in the carpark of my work site who runs at me and others face on with chest out like a peacock. He's looking for food being around a school and shopping centre with sections of trees and bushes intermingled. And this isn't just at nesting times. The other Maggies in the area have never done this in 19 years of being there.
My friend has a family she feeds daily and has since she was kid. This family know mw as I visit often and when they are fed. But recently he came straight at me, and I lowered my body and backed out. He kept moving forward and I kept moving back until he was satisfied. My friend was surprised.

😮 really over a plant 😔

Like so many other positive stories about Magpies , we too have a family that nest our pine tree. A neighbour who has moved used to feed them mincemeat. They are also friendly and return every season . I have put up a feeding table for them and other birds. They get to know you, are not afraid and don't swoop.

I have had a persistent one in the carpark of my work site who runs at me and others face on with chest out like a peacock. He's looking for food being around a school and shopping centre with sections of trees and bushes intermingled. And this isn't just at nesting times. The other Maggies in the area have never done this in 19 years of being there.
My friend has a family she feeds daily and has since she was kid. This family know mw as I visit often and when they are fed. But recently he came straight at me, and I lowered my body and backed out. He kept moving forward and I kept moving back until he was satisfied. My friend was surprised.
Wow now that’s odd behaviour maybe they didn’t like your choice of clothes you were wearing or colour. 🤣
Sorry had to add that.😇

• Haha
Reactions: Jennylolo