Protect your homes from one bathroom item sparking a surge in house fires

As we enjoy the cooler months, many homeowners turn to creature comforts to keep the chill at bay.

A warm bathroom is a sanctuary on a cold morning, but it's important to be aware of the hidden dangers that come with our pursuit of cosiness.

Firefighters sounded the alarm on a household item that's become an unexpected fire hazard.

An Adelaide family recently experienced a harrowing escape from their home after their bathroom heat lamp ignited a fire around 10 pm.

Thanks to the neighbours' quick action, the family of three safely fled the area before firefighters arrived.

The family required immediate treatment for smoke inhalation.

compressed-pexels-fire.jpeg
Firefighters issued a stark warning about the use of bath salt lamps at homes. Image Credit: Pexels/Jani Kantokoski

The fire, which reportedly reached the home's three-metre-high roof, caused an estimated $150,000 in damages.

This incident is not an isolated one—firefighters started reporting a worrying increase in house fires caused by bathroom heat lamps.

These lamps are either left on for extended periods or not properly maintained.

Metropolitan Fire Service Investigator Andrew French emphasised the importance of regular checks on these appliances.

'It's an area we don't really take notice of. It accumulates dust due to lack of maintenance, and people leaving their heat lamps on can contribute to a fire starting in that area,' Mr French warned.

'I recently did an inspection of my heat lamps and my fan motor and found the heat lamps were in contact with the plastic housing, and it started to melt,' he recounted.

This close call serves as a stark reminder that even the appliances we take for granted can become dangerous if not looked after.

Mr French also warned against a common DIY mistake: painting over fans or lamps.

These could restrict airflow, significantly increasing fire hazard.

These appliances should be free from any obstructions, and any protective covers should be clear of paint and other materials.

If you own a bathroom heat lamp at home, here are some protective tips:
  • Clean your bathroom heat lamps and exhaust fans regularly to prevent dust build-up.
  • Check the heat lamps' positioning and ensure they are not in contact with any flammable materials.
  • Consider installing a timer on your bathroom heat lamps to prevent them from being left on for longer periods.
  • Seek advice from a licensed electrician if you need help with your bathroom heat lamps or exhaust fans.
  • Do not leave heat lamps on unattended, and always turn them off after use.
We encourage everyone to take proactive steps to ensure home safety.
Key Takeaways

• Firefighters issued a warning about increasing house fires caused by bathroom heat lamps.
  • A family in Adelaide escaped a house fire caused by a bathroom heat lamp, which caused significant damage estimated at $150,000.
  • Metropolitan Fire Service Investigator Andrew French highlighted the fire hazard posed by faulty heat lamps and the importance of regular checks.
  • Authorities urged proper maintenance of bathroom heat lamps to prevent restricted airflow that could lead to fires.
Have you checked your bathroom heat lamps lately? Share your experiences and fire-proof tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why would anyone think a heat lamp is a hidden source of danger? It's a heat source, therefore it is a source of fire. Why would you have it on if no one's in the bathroom & needing heat? With the cost of electricity these days it's something that should be turned off immediately after use to save power costs.

Why would anyone think a heat lamp is a hidden source of danger? It's a heat source, therefore it is a source of fire. Why would you have it on if no one's in the bathroom & needing heat? With the cost of electricity these days it's something that should be turned off immediately after use to save power costs.

We recently had to replace our extractor fan. I was shocked at how must fluff and dust had collected up there. We had every so often vacuumed through the grid but we can’t get up there and take the cover off to clean inside. It made me realise how dirty it gets inside these appliances. I guess we are going to have to get a handyman to come and do it for us. It’s something you don’t think about, basically out of sight.

These incendiaries were outlawed in the UK at least fifty years ago.

Another Australian danger is that this country doesn't care about electrocution. Again, THIS was outlawed in Britain decades ago. Plugs and switches inside the bathroom and close to kitchen sinks etc.

CRAZY! ELEVATE YOUR STANDARDS, PEOPLE!!!! :-O

Another Australian danger is that this country doesn't care about electrocution. Again, THIS was outlawed in Britain decades ago. Plugs and switches inside the bathroom and close to kitchen sinks etc.

How about the nine deaths due to domestic electrocution in Australia and New Zealand for the year 2011-2012? Compare that to about 70 deaths in the UK for the same period. On a population basis, with 68 million people living in the UK, the death rate from domestic electrocution is 0.097 per 100000. Australia and New Zealand, with a combined population of 31 million has a death rate of 0.029 per 100000. The UK is over three times worse!

Time for the UK to lift THEIR standards! :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes people just forget to turn off electrical items.

When we built our current home almost thirty years ago we weren’t allowed to have a power point in the bathroom where the bath tub and shower is. The heater had to be wired into a switch inside the wall as well. We were allowed a power point in the ensuite and near the hand basin in the main bathroom, which is a separate area to where the bath and shower are. We now just use a small floor heater in both bathrooms as the wall heaters have long ago died. The heaters are put on when we go into the bathroom and turned off as soon as we leave.

Reactions: Littleboy8
AA2 asks:

What is a heat lamp? Please describe or post a photo.

VP beat me to it.
Went to the tiny effort, so here's a link. Just scroll down for prices. These ones bathrooms, and there are other types of heat lamps for other purposes.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I’ve got one of those in my bathroom but I’ve never used it I like getting out of a hot shower in to a cold room, I just leave my bathroom door open for the steam to escape.
Saves electricity also I’m a tight arse when it comes to money these days.😊
My pet hate is when you're getting out of the shower, the cold shower screen door hits you in the back or arse. BRRRR!!

Reactions: Littleboy8
How about the nine deaths due to domestic electrocution in Australia and New Zealand for the year 2011-2012? Compare that to about 70 deaths in the UK for the same period. On a population basis, with 68 million people living in the UK, the death rate from domestic electrocution is 0.097 per 100000. Australia and New Zealand, with a combined population of 31 million has a death rate of 0.029 per 100000. The UK is over three times worse!

Time for the UK to lift THEIR standards! :ROFLMAO:
When REAL threats exist, it is POINTLESS trying to pull rank with statistics. Stick to facts. Electrons abhor statisticians and may well detour to meet amateur statisticians.

Know what I mean.....?