Professional cleaner puts a popular cleaning 'hack' to the test – is it really effective?

Here at the SDC, we love hearing about exciting new cleaning tips and tricks shared on the internet. There are plenty of interesting solutions that truly help the average Aussie save time, energy and money!

However, we also have to admit that there are some 'hacks' out there that are nothing but just a waste of time…

Just recently, a peculiar yet popular hack was been circulating on social media: people claim that using lawn clippings can effortlessly clean and polish your oven racks.

How does it work? They say all you have to do is leave the racks under the lawn clippings overnight, and by morning, you'll be surprised that they're now spotless and clean.

But is it really effective, though?

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 1.09.33 PM.png
Some people claim that using lawn clippings can clean your oven racks. Credit: Pexels/Karol D.

Kacie, who runs the popular Melbourne cleaning company The Big Clean Co, was quick to debunk the bizarre trick, clarifying that it was nothing more than an elaborate hoax.

'Ever heard that hack to leave your oven racks under lawn clippings overnight to clean them?' she asked in a video uploaded on TikTok.

'I'm a professional cleaner, and since I've been sharing tips on the internet, I keep hearing this home hack of leaving your oven racks under lawn clippings overnight and in the morning, they will be miraculously cleaned.'

'As ridiculous as that sounded to me, I thought: 'I'm up for the challenge, so let's do this'.'

To test the popular cleaning hack, Kacie placed two of her dirty oven trays under a pile of lawn clippings and left them there overnight.

But when she returned to the spot in the morning, she was disappointed to discover that not only was the hack not really effective, but it even made her oven racks much dirtier than before.

'I can now confirm that that hack is as rubbish as it sounded,' she said. 'Let's just throw this hack in the bin. It doesn't work.'

Despite Kacie blasting the cleaning 'hack', some of her followers said that it did, in fact, work for them - claiming that it was more probably if the lawn clippings were wet or moist and that they should also be taken out in the morning before the sun had a chance to dry them off.

'Put them out overnight and get them early in the morning before the sun dries the dew off them. It's the dew apparently that makes them super easy to clean off!' suggested one user.

'I do that all the time; leaves and grass cuttings soften everything up for me!' another said.

While a handful of users vouched for the hack, many more agreed that the whole cleaning 'tip' was 'ridiculous'.

'Better use it to clean your oven racks. I was kinda joking when I posted the clip. That's madness!' one person said.

'I've seen this, and NO. Just use steel wool,' commented another.

'Don't do it. We used to as kids, and it left some WEIRD green stains on the trays,' said one more alongside a laughing emoji.
Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner debunked the hack of leaving oven racks under lawn clippings overnight to clean them, stating that it did absolutely nothing.
  • Some followers still believe that the hack works, claiming the grass needs to be wet or moist, and the pile needs to be bigger to be effective.
  • The easiest and non-toxic way to clean racks is to soak them in hot water and cleaning products for 15 minutes and then scrub them with a steel wool ball, but be sure to wear gloves to avoid getting injuries.
So how do I really get that stubborn dirt and grime off my oven racks?

Kacie ended her TikTok clip with a pro tip, cleaning oven trays after they have been cooking in the oven to make cleaning easy.

She recommends soaking the racks in 'really hot water' and adding using a cleaning product called 'For All' is a suitable alternative.

She also advised scrubbing them with a steel wool ball, but she warned viewers to take extra precautions by wearing protective gloves to avoid steel splinters.

So members, what are your thoughts on this cleaning hack? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Grass clippings are nitrogen-based which is why they are great for composts, as they help to break down the compost. They are also great for use as fertilizer as well. If anyone uses certain herbicides and pesticides, those could become part of the clippings, as well.

Reactions: Ricci
Last week I soaked my oven racks in hot water & Napisan for a few hrs. Can't do overnight as they will rust. Worked about 80% I reckon, so I will be off to the shops to buy 'For All' product. I have previously bought those pro steel wool balls from Bunnings, but they can scratch the surface & I can certify they give you splinters.

Reactions: Ricci
Here at the SDC, we love hearing about exciting new cleaning tips and tricks shared on the internet. There are plenty of interesting solutions that truly help the average Aussie save time, energy and money!

However, we also have to admit that there are some 'hacks' out there that are nothing but just a waste of time…

Just recently, a peculiar yet popular hack was been circulating on social media: people claim that using lawn clippings can effortlessly clean and polish your oven racks.

How does it work? They say all you have to do is leave the racks under the lawn clippings overnight, and by morning, you'll be surprised that they're now spotless and clean.

But is it really effective, though?

View attachment 10882
Some people claim that using lawn clippings can clean your oven racks. Credit: Pexels/Karol D.

Kacie, who runs the popular Melbourne cleaning company The Big Clean Co, was quick to debunk the bizarre trick, clarifying that it was nothing more than an elaborate hoax.

'Ever heard that hack to leave your oven racks under lawn clippings overnight to clean them?' she asked in a video uploaded on TikTok.

'I'm a professional cleaner, and since I've been sharing tips on the internet, I keep hearing this home hack of leaving your oven racks under lawn clippings overnight and in the morning, they will be miraculously cleaned.'

'As ridiculous as that sounded to me, I thought: 'I'm up for the challenge, so let's do this'.'

To test the popular cleaning hack, Kacie placed two of her dirty oven trays under a pile of lawn clippings and left them there overnight.

But when she returned to the spot in the morning, she was disappointed to discover that not only was the hack not really effective, but it even made her oven racks much dirtier than before.

'I can now confirm that that hack is as rubbish as it sounded,' she said. 'Let's just throw this hack in the bin. It doesn't work.'

Despite Kacie blasting the cleaning 'hack', some of her followers said that it did, in fact, work for them - claiming that it was more probably if the lawn clippings were wet or moist and that they should also be taken out in the morning before the sun had a chance to dry them off.

'Put them out overnight and get them early in the morning before the sun dries the dew off them. It's the dew apparently that makes them super easy to clean off!' suggested one user.

'I do that all the time; leaves and grass cuttings soften everything up for me!' another said.

While a handful of users vouched for the hack, many more agreed that the whole cleaning 'tip' was 'ridiculous'.

'Better use it to clean your oven racks. I was kinda joking when I posted the clip. That's madness!' one person said.

'I've seen this, and NO. Just use steel wool,' commented another.

'Don't do it. We used to as kids, and it left some WEIRD green stains on the trays,' said one more alongside a laughing emoji.
Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner debunked the hack of leaving oven racks under lawn clippings overnight to clean them, stating that it did absolutely nothing.
  • Some followers still believe that the hack works, claiming the grass needs to be wet or moist, and the pile needs to be bigger to be effective.
  • The easiest and non-toxic way to clean racks is to soak them in hot water and cleaning products for 15 minutes and then scrub them with a steel wool ball, but be sure to wear gloves to avoid getting injuries.
So how do I really get that stubborn dirt and grime off my oven racks?

Kacie ended her TikTok clip with a pro tip, cleaning oven trays after they have been cooking in the oven to make cleaning easy.

She recommends soaking the racks in 'really hot water' and adding using a cleaning product called 'For All' is a suitable alternative.

She also advised scrubbing them with a steel wool ball, but she warned viewers to take extra precautions by wearing protective gloves to avoid steel splinters.

So members, what are your thoughts on this cleaning hack? Let us know in the comments!

I put a towel in the bath put oven railings in, add some washing powder or liquid to hot water, & soak over night. Comes off easy with metal scour