Princess Kate apologises over editing ‘experiment’ as media outlets issue ‘kill notice’ on Royal Family photo

In the digital age, where images can be snapped, edited, and shared in a matter of moments, the authenticity of photographs has become a topic of intense scrutiny.

This scrutiny has recently extended to the British Royal Family, with a photograph of Princess Catherine, the Princess of Wales, and her children becoming the centre of a surprising controversy.

The image in question, which was intended to be a heartwarming capture of the Princess with her children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis, was released on the official social media account of the Prince and Princess of Wales in celebration of United Kingdom’s Mother's Day.

However, the photograph's journey from a cherished family moment to a widely distributed image was abruptly halted by major photo agencies.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 8.52.06 AM.jpeg
The photo posted by the Prince and Princess of Wales sparked controversy. Credit: @princeandprincessofwales / Instagram

Associated Press (AP), AFP, Reuters, and Getty Images, cornerstone providers of stock photos for media outlets, have all issued a 'kill notice' for the photo.

This rare move indicates that the agencies have concerns about the image's integrity, specifically citing fears of 'digital manipulation’.

The agencies have taken the step to delete the image from their libraries.

According to AP, ‘When AP determined the photo appeared to have been manipulated, it issued what is known as a “photo kill,” an industry term that retracted the image and instructed clients to remove the photo from their systems.’

‘At closer inspection, it appears that the source has manipulated the image. No replacement photo will be sent.’

The official social media account of the Prince and Princess of Wales continues to display the photo, with the caption saying, ‘Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months. Wishing everyone a Happy Mother’s Day. C.’

The controversy arose when eagle-eyed observers noted an inconsistency in the alignment of Princess Charlotte's left hand, leading to speculation that the image had been digitally altered.

Social media users slammed the photo as well, saying it appeared to have been doctored.

In response, Princess Kate has apologised for ‘experimenting with editing’ of the photo in question.

‘Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing,’ she said in a statement.

‘I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C.’

The photo's release was likely intended to provide an update on Princess Kate’s health and to counteract the rampant speculation about her condition circulating online.

The Princess, who appeared to be in good health in the image, had undergone abdominal surgery at the London Clinic, a private hospital where King Charles had previously been treated.

While the nature of her condition has not been disclosed, Kensington Palace assured the public that it was not cancer-related.

The Princess's hospitalisation prompted her husband, William, to temporarily step back from his royal duties to care for her and their children.

He resumed his public engagements in early February, while Princess Kate is not expected to return to official duties until after Easter.

Amid growing unease over the lack of updates about Princess Kate from Buckingham Palace, Royal Expert Rachel Hawkins said in late February: ‘We’re at [two] months since anyone has seen her… We’re not even getting [the] “I appreciate the well-wishes” statements from her.’

While she stressed that there was nothing ‘nefarious’ about the lack of updates, Hawkins did stress that there was mishandling of the princess’s case, labelling the whole affair ‘unprecedented’ and ‘very weird’.
Key Takeaways
  • Major picture agencies have issued a 'kill notice' for the first official photo of Kate, Princess of Wales, since her surgery due to suspected digital manipulation.
  • The photograph was published on the Prince and Princess of Wales’ social media for the United Kingdom Mother’s Day but was later found to potentially have inconsistencies.
  • Princess Kate apologised, saying she was ‘experimenting with editing’.
  • Princess Kate, who underwent abdominal surgery, is not expected to resume official duties until after Easter and has requested her medical information remain private.
What are your thoughts on the uploaded photo? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Why photoshop the photo. It even sounds like she created the photo. What caught my eye was I thought her arms looked too long .

Also after major stomach surgery not sure she would be wearing jeans ?
They have actually created more mystery by publishing this photo. They should have either kept on being quiet or made a statement on what she had gone through . This has just added fuel to an already talked about situation

Who cares it's her photo to do what she wants media that everyone is brain 🧠 washed over photoshop shit all the time get over it people bloody drama Queen's
I think the difference here is its through the people that the royals are there.

Her photo was made public for the people To see everything was ok . It wasn't just something she popped up on Facebook.
By doing this to the photo it has created trust issues.
Apparently even her face was added from another photo .

I think the difference here is its through the people that the royals are there.

Her photo was made public for the people To see everything was ok . It wasn't just something she popped up on Facebook.
By doing this to the photo it has created trust issues.
Apparently even her face was added from another photo .
Let's bring on a Republic then we don't need to worry about the Royal family that have been riding of the sheep's back remember Australia was the dumping ground for the British undesirables time to move on Australia 🇦🇺 and stand alone 👍

Never have the Royal Family been held up to such scrutiny, as they are now, and I blame Harry and wife. Since they brought the worlds’ attention to the RF with their exposée and long running feud, the Royal Family is up for grabs to anyone and everyone, and they all want to have their say, and they all want juicy gossip and if they don’t get it then they create it thereby forcing the RF to respond. Catherine said that she was taking time off to recuperate from her surgery and would be back for business around Easter……so why is there such a hue and cry from everyone, why is she being bullied into showing herself, and why does everyone think that it’s absolutely their business anyway to be kept in the loop about every single little thing…..they don’t live in glass houses and neither should they. So Catherine doctored a photograph…..she probably did it because she hoped everyone would be satisfied, stop being so bloody nosy and give her the peace to fully recover, but I don’t think that’s going to happen unless everyone is appraised of the reason that she had to have surgery…….poor girl, she can’t win….

Why photoshop the photo. It even sounds like she created the photo. What caught my eye was I thought her arms looked too long .

Also after major stomach surgery not sure she would be wearing jeans ?
They have actually created more mystery by publishing this photo. They should have either kept on being quiet or made a statement on what she had gone through . This has just added fuel to an already talked about situation
As far as photoshop all photographers us photoshop the trick is make sure the photo doesn't have 3 arms or something like that

Reactions: Jarred Santos
There is nothing wrong with this beautiful picture taken by Prince William. I rather believe the royal photographers are annoyed for not being invited to take the pictures. It is a childish attitude like they are now throwing the toys out of the pram🙄 and finding mistakes everywhere …

Never have the Royal Family been held up to such scrutiny, as they are now, and I blame Harry and wife. Since they brought the worlds’ attention to the RF with their exposée and long running feud, the Royal Family is up for grabs to anyone and everyone, and they all want to have their say, and they all want juicy gossip and if they don’t get it then they create it thereby forcing the RF to respond. Catherine said that she was taking time off to recuperate from her surgery and would be back for business around Easter……so why is there such a hue and cry from everyone, why is she being bullied into showing herself, and why does everyone think that it’s absolutely their business anyway to be kept in the loop about every single little thing…..they don’t live in glass houses and neither should they. So Catherine doctored a photograph…..she probably did it because she hoped everyone would be satisfied, stop being so bloody nosy and give her the peace to fully recover, but I don’t think that’s going to happen unless everyone is appraised of the reason that she had to have surgery…….poor girl, she can’t win….
well put

I cannot believe the rubbish that is going around regarding this beautiful photo. It's not like she's 'slimmed' everyone down to ridiculous proportions like all the 'influencers' today like to do. Right from the word go when it was announced that she was going in for abdominal surgery, it was reported that she would not be seen until Easter but now all these conspiracies are flying around because she hasn't been seen since Christmas. They can't take a break at all. This is why I'm really starting to despise Social Media as everyone want's to jump on the band wagon and bag everyone for something so trivial including what busy mums put into their childs lunchbox for goodness sake.

So she photo shopped it ! now the media agencies have put out a "Kill Notice" I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. They all do it but don't like anyone else doing it.
My phone camera has a button I can press to take out people in the background, I guess I must be guilty too.

So she photo shopped it ! now the media agencies have put out a "Kill Notice" I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. They all do it but don't like anyone else doing it
My phone camera has a button I can press to take out people in the background, I guess I must be guilty too.
I think everyone that has photoshop "plays" with their photos, if I had photoshop then I would be doing it too, some people are just stirring s##t, why can't they leave her alone?