Prince Harry and the Queen won’t meet at Prince Philip’s memorial

After news outlets have reported that the Queen was “desperate” to see her great-grandchild Lilibet, who was named after her, recent developments imply that it’s highly unlikely the two will ever meet, apart from online video calls.

On Friday, a spokesperson for Prince Harry confirmed that the prince would not travel to the UK for Prince Philip’s memorial service on March 29.

Though, Prince Harry is hoping to visit his 95-year-old grandmother as soon as possible.

lsDkZ9g_BRXfKP_-1QW5dvcO1Rk8r6q8uso1Ys4MGRBzRxhSIr86hvlBC3dMOe_ycctEY6G15wR5JTW-QK4nZwfktWR5uFr8JFC8ZErswchrgBKymy1r7DAZ4CEqR-W8dbDv4Ik0

Prince Harry wants to see the Queen, but will not be returning to the UK for Prince Philip's memorial. Credit: WPA Pool Getty Images.
On April 9 last year, Prince Philip passed away at the age of 99. On March 29, a memorial service is set to take place at Westminster Abbey, but the Duke of Sussex won't be attending.

Prince Harry's legal team said that he “does not feel safe” bringing his family back to the UK, following the loss of his public-funded police protection after he and his wife, Meghan Markle, stepped back from their royal duties in 2020.

Since then, the couple has privately paid for their own security in the US.

They were also later told that they could not pay for UK police protection out of their own pockets. Meaning, if the two ever return back to London, they will not be entitled to state-funded protection and the deep level of security intelligence that comes with it.

Prince Harry’s attorney, Shaheed Fatima, has expressed that the Duke really wants to come back – to see his family, his friends, and to continue to support the charities that are so close to his heart.

The lawyer added: “Most of all, this is, and always will be, his home.”

News outlets have also reported that it seems like Prince Harry won’t be the only royal to miss Prince Philip’s memorial service.

On Friday, the Queen cancelled her appearance at the annual Commonwealth Day service, with Prince Charles attending in her place.

Charles Rae, a former royal correspondent at The Sun, said that royal aides have decided it would not be best for the 95-year-old monarch to drive all the way out from Windsor to Westminster Abbey, since the travel causes her discomfort.

And since the Commonwealth service and Prince Philip’s service are both happening at the same venue, the royal expert assumed the possibility of the Queen missing out on her husband’s memorial service later this month.

“Let's hope she can make it but she has to look after herself,” he added.

The Queen, who turns 96 next month, has only recently recovered from contracting coronavirus. According to her royal aides, the Queen was so frail she was even unable to walk her beloved corgis.

“The Queen usually turns to her beloved corgis in times of crisis and stress and took them out almost every day after Philip fell ill and then died last year,” said a royal source.

“They are an enormous source of solace, so it is a real shame.”

Sponsored
I think Harry should visit his grandmother before she's gone and all he's left with is regret! If he has his own team of security in USA, I don't know why he can't bring a small group with him to UK... once here, he'll be with the other royals and under their protection anyway.. .. and besides... Guns are mostly illegal in UK... not everyone has one in their pocket or purse like in America so I don't know why he even thinks there's an increased risk.???

Unfortunately I think the time has almost come for the Crown to be passed on. I know the Queen takes her duties seriously but at the moment she's not quite fulfilling the role. Since Prince Philip died she has aged and her health has gone downhill, surely she deserves some time to herself and her family in her twilight. I do not look forward to when Charles is in charge and would much rather skip him and go straight on to William but I know that won't happen.:(