Potato shortage panic? Not anymore! Supermarket's fully-stocked freezer brings relief to chips enthusiasts

If there's one thing we love, it's the good ol' trusty side of chips. No matter if they're accompanying a meal or just as a slightly guilty pleasure, it's always good to know that we can rely on our local supermarket freezer to have them readily available.

However, Australia has been experiencing a troublesome potato shortage, causing a 25 per cent spike in wholesale potato prices.

Even our trusted local supermarkets, like Coles, have been hit hard by the potato shortage. They've had to put limits on the amount of frozen potato products customers can buy due to weather disruptions and international import restrictions.

But it's not just the supermarkets that are feeling the pinch. Our favourites, like pubs and restaurants, have also been hit by the potato shortage. Customers are reporting sky-high prices for hot chips, leaving them in shock.

Just ask this outraged pub-goer who was charged a jaw-dropping $14 for a 'tiny' bowl of hot chips and sauce. Read the full story here.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.33.10 AM.png
An ordinary snap of a supermarket freezer filled with packets of frozen chips has given Aussie shoppers hope that the potato shortage is finally over. Credit: Facebook.

The potato shortage has certainly left us all in a bit of a pickle. Just when we thought our chances of satisfying our chip cravings were slim, we stumbled upon a glimmer of hope at an ALDI store in Queensland…

A photo of a well-stocked supermarket freezer full of packets of frozen chips has sent potato lovers across Australia into a frenzy!

The sight of the fully stocked freezer has brought joy to many who have been eagerly awaiting the return of their favourite snack. One happy customer exclaimed, 'Chippies! Imported from Belgium, but I'll take them.'

Others took to social media to share their excitement, with comments like, 'I got some this week, haven't seen them for months,' and 'Stop teasing! I bet my local store will be empty.'

The potato shortage in Australia has been a major concern for chip enthusiasts, with limited availability and skyrocketing prices. But this snapshot of a fully stocked freezer has given us a ray of hope that things may be turning around.

With frozen chips making a comeback, it's a sign that the potato supply may be improving, and we can once again indulge in our beloved crispy treats.

Key Takeaways

• Australia has been facing a potato shortage due to flooding and heavy rainfall, leading to a 25 per cent increase in wholesale potato prices and limited availability of frozen potato products in local supermarkets.
  • However, a recent photo of a well-stocked freezer of frozen chips at an ALDI store in Queensland has given hope to potato lovers, indicating that the potato shortage may be improving.
  • Many Aussies have rejoiced at the sight of the fully stocked freezer, expressing excitement and relief at the prospect of their favourite snack returning to stores after months of limited availability.

It's been a tough 12 months for potato lovers in Australia as the country faced adverse weather conditions during the prime growing period last spring and summer. Increased rain, cold weather, and frost have led to a low potato crop, causing shortages along the east coast, in Tasmania, and in Western Australia.

The impact of the shortage has been felt not only by consumers but also by businesses, with some restaurants forced to close or switch to hand-cut chips.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.33.20 AM.png
Due to the shortage of hot chips, some local businesses had to temporarily close their doors. Credit: Facebook.

One such business, Roy's Fish & Chips Takeaway Cafe in the popular tourist town of Batemans Bay, NSW, had to shut its doors twice in a week over the New Year holiday due to the potato shortage.

Potato growers have reported that the cost of producing the beloved root vegetable has doubled, but supermarkets have been reluctant to adjust prices.

Potato lovers across the country have been feeling the pinch as their go-to comfort food has become scarcer and more expensive. But amidst the challenges, Australians have come together to support local potato growers and find creative solutions.

Some have resorted to hand-cutting their own chips, while others have had to seek out alternative options. And despite the hurdles, many remain hopeful that the situation will improve soon and their beloved chips will be back on the menu at affordable prices.

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 9.33.28 AM.png
Heavy rainfall and major flooding in recent months impacted the country's potato production, causing a 25 per cent spike in the wholesale potato price. Credit: Unsplash/Louis Hansel.

Members, have you been affected by the potato shortage? How have you been coping with the limited availability and increased prices of your favourite potato products?

To all the chip lovers out there, take heart! It seems like the tide may be turning, and our long-awaited reunion with our favourite snack may be just around the corner.

Until then, we'll be keeping a keen eye on our local supermarket freezers and eagerly stocking up on frozen chips while we can. Happy snacking, everyone!

Sponsored
It's like they have stopped making frozen chips.

Coles Had advertised 2kg bags of potatoes on sale for $4 but unfortunately they were sold out day 2 of the sale so I purched 2 x 4kg bags of potatoes from Coles for $9 a bag. That night when I began peeling them I found they were all wet and when I starting cutting them I found they were black inside.

This was from my online shop , I called and was refunded .

If I have to pay alot for spuds so be it but just give me eatable ones at least 😗

I must be a rarity. My husband cooks our tea and he loves potatoes. I am NOT a fan. Chips or mashed potatoes 6 nights a weeks. I was so excited every week when we did our shopping and there were no spuds.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: