Postage price peak: Australia Post's stamp prices soar as letter volumes plummet!

In an era where digital communication reigns supreme, the humble postage stamp has been holding on, a reminder of a slower, more tactile world of communication.

However, for Australians who still enjoy or rely on sending physical letters, the cost of maintaining this tradition is about to rise significantly.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has recently given the green light for a substantial increase in the price of postage stamps, a decision that reflects the changing landscape of communication and the financial realities of Australia Post's operations.

Starting April 3, the price of an ordinary small letter stamp will jump by a hefty 25 per cent, from $1.20 to $1.50.

This marks a significant shift in the cost of sending a standard letter, and it's not just the small letters that will feel the impact.

The cost of sending ordinary large letters weighing less than 125g will rise from $2.40 to $3.00, while those between 125 and 250g will now set you back $4.50, up from the previous $3.60.

mail-box.jpg.auspostimage.2000_0.medium.jpg
The ACCC has approved Australia Post to increase stamp prices starting April 3. Credits: Australia Post

Thankfully, there's a silver lining for concession card holders, who will see their stamp prices frozen at 60 cents.

Additionally, the cost of sending Christmas cards will remain at a modest 65 cents, allowing for the continuation of festive traditions without additional financial burden.

The ACCC's approval of the price hike comes after a months-long consultation process, which began when Australia Post proposed the change in August 2023.

‘We acknowledge the concerns raised in our consultation processes about the impact of the price increase on consumers and businesses, especially in light of cost-of-living pressures,’ ACCC Commissioner Anna Brakey stated.

Australia Post welcomed the decision, stating that the $1.50 increase in price would result in an extra $4.50 per year for the average household.

‘Australian households only receive two letters on average each week, and letter volumes are expected to halve in the next five years,’ Australia Post said.

‘Charities will continue to be able to access our heavily discounted Charity Mail service, while business and government customers, who send more than 95 per cent of all mail in Australia, can access a broad range of discounted services.’

In the recently released Australia Post results, the service announced a half-year profit of $33.6 million, marking an increase from the $10 million recorded during the same period in 2022.

This surge in profit was fueled by a surge in parcel deliveries, which reached nearly 100 million during the summer season.

However, the service's letter business continued to suffer losses, with a reported deficit of $182 million, attributed to a 12 per cent decline in letter volumes over the same period.

Without a previous 10-cent increase in stamp prices implemented in January 2023, the division would have experienced a further $90 million decline in revenue.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post has been approved by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to increase stamp prices by up to 25 per cent from April 3.
  • The price of an ordinary small letter stamp will rise from $1.20 to $1.50, while other postal charges for larger letters will also increase.
  • Concession card holders will not experience a price hike, with their costs remaining at 60c, and the price of sending Christmas cards will stay at 65c.
  • The increase in stamp prices came amid a significant decline in letter volumes, with the ACCC acknowledging the potential impact on consumers and businesses, but recognising the financial challenges faced by Australia Post.
How do you feel about the stamp price increase? Will it affect how often you send letters? Do you have any tips for others on how to manage these rising costs?

Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I very rarely send letters and I'm guessing with the increase in stamps alot more will nolonger send letters.

I think Australia post are killing any chances of reviving letter delivery

Australia post has announced they will be switching to every 2nd day delivery, not sure when it will start.

Where Australia post has lost in mail delivery they have increased drastically on the parcel delivery. I think maybe they are being a bit greedy.

I never knew postage cost was only 60c for concession card holders, that was kept quiet 🤫

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I’ve been buying concession stamps since my husband retired almost 8 years ago. It’s certainly not a secret as all of my friends & family know about it. I’m amazed that so many of you didn’t realise it was available.
Same for me. It was never a secret that as an aged pensioner I could send my letters for just 60c. I buy a packet of stamps for $3. There is a limit, however, to how many stamps you can buy in a 12 month period but I have never used my quota.

• Love
Reactions: Davmes and PattiB
I’ve been buying concession stamps since my husband retired almost 8 years ago. It’s certainly not a secret as all of my friends & family know about it. I’m amazed that so many of you didn’t realise it was available.
Yes PattiB, I am surprised too!
I have been buying concession stamps since they were introduced! You just produce your concession card at the Post Office, then you can purchase a book of 5 for $3.00. You can buy up to 50 concession stamps a year, in booklets of 5 Anddddd, you even get a free booklet of 5 to get you started!! (how generous is Australia Post :ROFLMAO:)

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
Australia Post is an absolute joke. It's been chasing its tail with no success. Its strategy? Jeep raising prices to solve their perceived problems. I say perceived because because it has effectively priced itself out of thw market.

People like me and believe me when I say their are millions of us, used to buy gifts etc to send overseas to family and friends. Everyone I speak to now says they can no longer afford to do this because the postage is outrageous. So not only do we no longer use Australia Post but we are no longer buying goods from our shops and sending them. I, myself, would buy up to 12 linen dresses plus tops, pants etc at a time to send to my sister in the UK. I'd buy our summer stuff and send so she was stocked up and ready for their summer. Then I'd repeat the exercise in winter. She, in turn, would do the same for me so we'd each end up with clothes that we hadn't bought from our local shops. Unfortunately AP has structured its pricing to make this completely unaffordable.

Shame on you Australia Post. You were, and are meant to be a service. You shpuld carry your core business regardless.

Days old this news,but I've had concession stamps for years.Think you get them because you don't send as many letters now. They can only be used within Australia not international

I make and send cards for Christmas and Birthday overseas and Christmas with in Australia. I am not surprised postage has gone up, what I am surprised at are people didn't know about the concession, I was told by the post office and there is also information at the post office usually on the window. That was many years ago now. Hopefully now more know more will send letters and cards to keep things going.

I still use snail mail.
Xmas cards, birthday cards etc a re not the same on-line.
The pensioner stamps have been a very welcome facility.
If more people used snail mail, perhaps the prices wouldnot go up.

Thankfully, there's a silver lining for concession card holders, who will see their stamp prices frozen at 60 cents.

Wait, what? I didn't know this. Which concession cards? No one at the post office ever asks that.

That's a 25% increase. Why are they allowed to have such a big increase? Now everyone will want that. Insurance, rates, power.
Woe is us.

• Wow