Post paralysis: Australia Post faces stampede of complaints over delivery fails!

In an age where online shopping has become a staple for many, the reliability of postal services is more crucial than ever.

For our members who have embraced the digital revolution, the convenience of having goods delivered to their doorstep is undeniable.

However, this convenience is only as good as the delivery service, and it seems that Australia Post has been falling short of expectations.

The frustration among Australia Post customers is palpable, with a growing number of complaints about delivery failures.

Imagine the disappointment of waiting at home for a parcel, only to find that the postie has missed you entirely.

This scenario has become all too common, as evidenced by the outcry on a social media complaints page, which has amassed over 23,000 members.

compressed-shutterstock_1271842402.jpeg
Australia Post faced widespread criticism for delivery issues, with thousands expressing dissatisfaction on a social media complaints page. Credit: Shutterstock

The founder of this page, Stephen Shergold, echoed the sentiments of many when he described the lack of effort from some delivery drivers who are ‘not even coming to your door to let you know’ they were there.

‘If I order things online, if [they’re] sent to me via Australia Post, I always have to go to the post office (to collect),’ he claimed.

The tales of woe shared by customers were both bizarre and infuriating.

One customer recounted how they made eye contact and waved at a driver, who proceeded to take a photo of their letterbox and ‘still drove off’ without delivering the parcel.

Another customer was baffled by the excuse given for a non-delivery: a non-existent dog supposedly preventing the postie from making the drop.

‘The postie puts the “not able to be delivered reason” due to this non-existent dog,’ they shared.

Australia Post responded to these complaints, stating that their protocols for parcel deliveries are ‘stringent’.

A spokesperson stated, ‘Our drivers are required to knock three times and wait 30 seconds when delivering to households.’

Yet, customers' experiences suggested that these protocols were not always followed.

For those who have encountered such issues, it's important to know that formal complaints can be lodged with the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

This is a step that should not be taken lightly, as it can help to hold Australia Post accountable and potentially improve the service for everyone.

As frustrations mounted over Australia Post's delivery mishaps, customers became increasingly vocal about their grievances.

Reports of delivery failures and public displays of dissatisfaction, such as one customer's recent encounter with Australia Post's ‘locked gate’ excuse caught on camera, highlighted growing discontent with the postal service's operations.

These incidents underscore ongoing challenges faced by consumers relying on timely and reliable mail services.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post is receiving widespread criticism over delivery issues as thousands express their dissatisfaction on a social media complaints page.
  • Customers alleged that delivery drivers failed to attempt delivery, even when recipients were home to receive packages.
  • Some recipients reported being ignored by drivers, while others have had false non-delivery excuses made, such as claiming the presence of a non-existent dog.
  • Australia Post asserted that their delivery protocols are ‘stringent’, requiring drivers to knock three times and wait 30 seconds.
  • Dissatisfied customers can lodge formal complaints with the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
Have you faced similar issues? How did you resolve them? We'd love to hear from you about your experiences with Australia Post or any other delivery services in the comments below.

Sponsored
I always track my parcels and notice that they are often passed around for days through the postal depots in our town before finally being delivered. Too often, it takes far longer in our area than it does from travelling across the country. Our Postie is very good and have no problems with them at all.

We recently purchased a fruit tree from Daleys Nursery in Kyogle (Nthn NSW) to be delivered by AusPost to where we live just outside Brisbane - my parcel travelled overnight from Kyogle to a Distribution Centre in Brisbane: I was expecting delivery the next day but, when it didn't arrive and I checked, my fruit tree had been shipped off to Melbourne. I rang and lodged an "enquiry" but it took almost another week for my plant to return to Brisbane and be delivered! (Luckily, because of the care taken by the nursery in packing it, it was still alive)!

I live in Townsville & have no complaints the postie & delivery guys & girls are just great even help the elderly to if parcel is to heavy keep p the good work you guys

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with Australia Post. We live in a regional area and the couple who deliver our Australia Post parcels ( I assume they're contracted) are unfailingly polite, stick religiously to the rules and often go above and beyond to deliver for us. Just thought I'd throw in a positive experience.

Had parcel delivery confirmed by APO on 30 may. It took them to 25 Jun ( even then I had to go to PO) to get it to me ( after i sent many emails to them to chase it). They had ( and posted) it was miss sorted ( at one stage it was just around corner at Modbury, but sent it back to Netley). I could have walked to the airport and walked home quicker. I'll never recommend APO to anyone! (if i get that choice when ordering on line again).

If I’m expecting a parcel, I open my front door and the screen door.
Anyone can see that there is someone home.
My door is 6 METRES from the gate.
I’ve tried to attract their attention when they’re putting the card in the mail box.
The main excuses they use that are noted are locked gate….dog….
i don’t have a lock on the gate, and I don’t have a dog

This happens with 70% of deliveries to me and other family members.
Its not easy for me, a disabled person, has to try to get to the post office and struggle with a package, when an able bodied person, paid to do the job, decides he’s too lazy to walk through my gate and bring to the door

• Sad
Reactions: Cyberchook and Ezzy
I have had the locked gate excuse more than once. The gate is to my backyard, they are too lazy to walk around the corner.

Reactions: Ezzy
Yeh I was at home the day my parcel was being delivered, not, and they took it to a post office some seven kilometres away. When there is one within 50 metres.

Reactions: Ezzy
No problems in Hobart.We are notified by email when a parcel needs picking up and then another email when it has.
But it takes 7-10 days for a letter to get from the western to the eastern shore. I suppose some bright Board of Directors and the CEO has decreed that all letters from Hobart have to go through the Melbourne sorting office.