Popular baker calls out Coles for allegedly 'ripping her off' – but not everyone is convinced

One woman has taken to TikTok to let her frustration at Coles be known after the retailer allegedly included her cake ‘hack’ in one of its advertisements – and claimed credit for it.

However, there are plenty of people who don't see what all the fuss is about.

Tegan ‘Tigga’ Maccormack, a popular online content creator and cake maker, vented her frustration on TikTok when she saw her rainbow cake ‘hack’ (which is a repurposed mud cake) in Coles’ promotional catalogue.

‘When Coles rip off your cake hack and claim credit,’ she said in the video while showing the catalogue.

cake1.jpg
Tegan’s mud cake design was posted just a few months ago. Credit: tigga_mac on TikTok

She described it as ‘a bit cheeky’, and asked if what she saw was a joke.

In Tegan’s original video (which was uploaded back in July) she used Woolies mud cake and received an impressive 5.6 million views on TikTok.

Other social media users commented on the video, saying that the design has been around for ‘decades’.

‘This was in a women’s weekly magazine in the 90s’, one man said.

Tegan responded: ‘I have the book and it’s not in there.’

‘I mean I love your posts and your cakes but yours wasn’t the first rainbow cake hack,’ added another.

A third wrote: ‘Pretty sure this was in the original women's weekly children’s cake books way back when I was a kid.’

colescake.jpg
Rainbow cake has been around for ages. Credit: Coles

While Tegan doesn’t deny knowledge that similar designs have been around for years, she finds that the mud cake element in Coles’ catalogue ‘too much of a coincidence’ just a few months after her video went viral.

‘Ok, so I know the cake design isn’t original. It’s the “hack” that I made go viral,’ she replied to one of the comments.

Tegan added that Coles’ cake looked ‘exactly the same’.

You can watch her original video here:

Still, social media users were adamant that the exact cake design was around when they were just kids.

One person claimed: ‘I’m pretty sure I had this exact cake in the 80s.’

‘My mum did this for my brother’s birthday in the early 90s,’ shared another.

Others were quick to defend Tegan.

‘I immediately thought of you when I saw this in the magazine!’ Said one woman.

Someone else explained: ‘I’m sorry but that’s what businesses and places do. I used to work at a doughnut king and designed a doughnut (minion look) next I knew all the stores were doing it.’

Coles has yet to make a statement about this matter.

You can watch Tegan’s call-out video below:

Key Takeaways

• A popular TikTok user called out Coles for allegedly using her mud cake ‘hack’ that was featured in one of the supermarket giant's catalogues.
  • While some people agreed with the cake maker, others pointed out that such a hack has been around for decades.
  • Coles has not responded to the claim.
What can you say about this story, folks? Do you think Tegan’s call-out was justified? Let us know in the comments below! If you want to try Tegan's rainbow cake for yourself, you can find her recipe here.

Sponsored
What is she on about , this cake has been around for ages , it's in the old women's weekly party cake books.

The only thing she can claim is it was done with a coles mudcake .
She could claim it if it was her original creation and its not. I made this cake maybe 30 years ago for my sister inlaws birthday.
I didn't buy a Mudcake I made the cake from scratch.

What is she on about , this cake has been around for ages , it's in the old women's weekly party cake books.

The only thing she can claim is it was done with a coles mudcake .
She could claim it if it was her original creation and its not. I made this cake maybe 30 years ago for my sister inlaws birthday.
I didn't buy a Mudcake I made the cake from scratch.

One woman has taken to TikTok to let her frustration at Coles be known after the retailer allegedly included her cake ‘hack’ in one of its advertisements – and claimed credit for it.

However, there are plenty of people who don't see what all the fuss is about.

Tegan ‘Tigga’ Maccormack, a popular online content creator and cake maker, vented her frustration on TikTok when she saw her rainbow cake ‘hack’ (which is a repurposed mud cake) in Coles’ promotional catalogue.

‘When Coles rip off your cake hack and claim credit,’ she said in the video while showing the catalogue.

View attachment 9249
Tegan’s mud cake design was posted just a few months ago. Credit: tigga_mac on TikTok

She described it as ‘a bit cheeky’, and asked if what she saw was a joke.

In Tegan’s original video (which was uploaded back in July) she used Woolies mud cake and received an impressive 5.6 million views on TikTok.

Other social media users commented on the video, saying that the design has been around for ‘decades’.

‘This was in a women’s weekly magazine in the 90s’, one man said.

Tegan responded: ‘I have the book and it’s not in there.’

‘I mean I love your posts and your cakes but yours wasn’t the first rainbow cake hack,’ added another.

A third wrote: ‘Pretty sure this was in the original women's weekly children’s cake books way back when I was a kid.’

View attachment 9250
Rainbow cake has been around for ages. Credit: Coles

While Tegan doesn’t deny knowledge that similar designs have been around for years, she finds that the mud cake element in Coles’ catalogue ‘too much of a coincidence’ just a few months after her video went viral.

‘Ok, so I know the cake design isn’t original. It’s the “hack” that I made go viral,’ she replied to one of the comments.

Tegan added that Coles’ cake looked ‘exactly the same’.

You can watch her original video here:

Still, social media users were adamant that the exact cake design was around when they were just kids.

One person claimed: ‘I’m pretty sure I had this exact cake in the 80s.’

‘My mum did this for my brother’s birthday in the early 90s,’ shared another.

Others were quick to defend Tegan.

‘I immediately thought of you when I saw this in the magazine!’ Said one woman.

Someone else explained: ‘I’m sorry but that’s what businesses and places do. I used to work at a doughnut king and designed a doughnut (minion look) next I knew all the stores were doing it.’

Coles has yet to make a statement about this matter.

You can watch Tegan’s call-out video below:

Key Takeaways

• A popular TikTok user called out Coles for allegedly using her mud cake ‘hack’ that was featured in one of the supermarket giant's catalogues.
  • While some people agreed with the cake maker, others pointed out that such a hack has been around for decades.
  • Coles has not responded to the claim.
What can you say about this story, folks? Do you think Tegan’s call-out was justified? Let us know in the comments below! If you want to try Tegan's rainbow cake for yourself, you can find her recipe here.

At a loss here. Isn't anything posted on social media open to being copied. Made that cake 40 years ago and was always excited when others copied it.