Police investigate counterfeit cash advertisements on social media

In the digital age, where social media platforms have become the new marketplace for many, a concerning scam has surfaced that targets unsuspecting Australians.

Federal police are currently investigating a disturbing trend where criminals are brazenly advertising counterfeit cash on social media, exploiting the trust and reach of these platforms to prey on the vulnerable.

Imagine scrolling through your feed and stumbling upon an offer too good to be true: $20,000 in 'premium' fake notes in exchange for a mere $1,000 of real money.

The sellers audaciously claim their counterfeit currency can easily be passed off in everyday transactions at supermarkets, petrol stations, pubs, and even on Facebook Marketplace.

shutterstock_2336529259.jpg
The federal police are investigating a disturbing trend of criminals advertising counterfeit money on social media. Credit: Shutterstock

Brian Hay, the executive director of Cultural Cyber Security, shed light on the issue: 'It's easy to mock these people, but it's important to understand the underlying problem.’

‘We're going through tough times, and what we do know when we're going through tough times is that financial crime, identity crime, and cybercrime increase.'

It seems that this business model is designed to exploit the desperation of Australians struggling in the current economic climate.

However, the risks associated with this scam are immense.

Graham Cooke, Finder's head of consumer research, warned, 'Australian banknotes are very hard to counterfeit, so if you have counterfeit cash, it will be very obvious to those you're handing it over to, and you're at high risk of being caught.'

The sophistication of Australia's currency design means that fake notes are often easily identifiable by those who know what to look for.

The Australian Federal Police have noted a significant rise in counterfeit currency being offered for sale via social media.

Yet, most of the time, the fake money advertised doesn't even exist, leaving the buyer out of pocket and in possession of nothing but a promise.

The Reserve Bank of Australia advises vigilance and offers tips on how to spot counterfeit notes.

Look for security holograms, the clarity of the small text, and the distinct plastic texture with a window that is notoriously difficult to replicate. If you suspect you've come across a counterfeit note,

'If any of those things are ringing alarm bells, you can take it into your local bank, and you can hand it over to them with an amnesty and not get caught using a counterfeit note,' Cooke said.

Anyone caught buying or selling fake cash can face up to 12 years behind bars—a hefty price to pay for a moment of financial desperation.
Key Takeaways
  • Federal police are investigating criminals advertising counterfeit cash on social media.
  • Counterfeit notes are being offered at a fraction of their supposed value with the promise they can be used in everyday transactions.
  • Experts warned that Australian bank notes are difficult to counterfeit, and using fake money carries a high risk of detection and arrest.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia provided tips on how to identify fake money, and those in possession of counterfeit cash can hand it over to a bank under an amnesty to avoid prosecution.
Have you or someone you know encountered counterfeit cash or similar scams? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Perhaps the police should reply to these posts and set up a "sting" operation to capture the crooks.

If something sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Besides, this is obviously illegal and wrong so I would never even consider getting involved. Karma will eventually have its own judgement on us all.

Reactions: Fanger and Wieso
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks they are going to swap $1000 and receive $20,000 would have to release that it's a scam of some sort. Nobody is going to swap $1000 for $20,000 if it's legal tender it's as simple as that.
But the $20k is not legal tender.

The so-called sellers are telling the prospective buyers that they (the fakes), will pass inspection.

The people who attempt to buy are seeing the deal as a profitable one. In other words their greed is driving their desire.

I live by the principal 'Don't take what's not yours'.

These prospective buyers are trying to take what's not theirs.

At the beginning of this year, there was a 15 something year old youth with a stack of $100 "notes" tossing them on the footpath outside the main entrance of Dandenong Plaza. I picked one up and they were noticeably smaller than the real thing, sporting an Oriental person in place of John Monash.

Bizarre to say the least!

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
I think this is an instance where the greedy mug definitely deserves to lose his/her $1000. Most businesses should be aware of the very simple tests that can easily spot counterfeit banknotes. Most people on the street should as well, so I think the scammers need to re-think the likelihood of this one being successful product for them. 🤑 I wouldn't use audacious to describe the scammers claims, I think stupidity is closer to the mark.

Reactions: saundy
I have $20 000 fake banknotes . I will sell them to you for $1000. That is not dishonest. The only crime is to have counterfeited those banknotes in the first place. Interesting scam and perhaps the first honest one.