Police find prisoner after shocking mistaken release

Breaking news out of a major Australian city points to a disconcerting mishap that has resulted in a widespread manhunt for an unintentionally released prisoner.

Corey Hastings, a 30-year-old man, was erroneously released from the Long Bay Correctional Complex in Matraville around 1 pm on 7 March.

The Corrective Services New South Wales (NSW) attributed this to an 'administration error’.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 8.30.40 AM.png
Corey Hastings was erroneously released due to an ‘administration error’. Credit: NSW Police

Hastings, who was facing charges of dangerous driving and other related offences, was reportedly on remand and had been listed for a mention in Wagga Wagga District Court the same morning of his wrongful release.

He wasn't physically present for this court appearance and was instead connected through a video link.

Law enforcement agencies plunged into an extensive search after he was last seen at an Eastgardens shopping centre before 3 PM on 7 March.

He was later found in a hotel at Bondi, in Sydney's eastern suburbs, at 6 am on 8 March.

A spokesperson for Corrective Services NSW said they were investigating how the release error happened.

‘CSNSW staff are required to follow detailed procedures when processing inmate detention, sentencing decisions and releases from custody,’ they said.

‘The release was due to an administration error following a court appearance.’

Law enforcement agencies are responsible for maintaining peace and order, but they sometimes need the help of the public.

In a previous story, the Victoria Police appealed to the public to find the culprits of a daylight robbery in a local Bunnings store. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Corey Hastings was mistakenly released from Long Bay Correctional Complex due to an administration error by Corrective Services NSW.
  • An extensive search was initiated across Sydney after the prisoner was last seen at an Eastgardens shopping centre.
  • Hastings, who is on remand for dangerous driving and other related charges, was due for a court mention via video link.
  • Hastings was found at Bondi around 6 AM on 8 March
Do you recall similar mistakes happening in the past? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Petra
Sponsored
Firstly I don't understand why it was on TV and the radio here in Sydney stating a manhunt after a prisoner was released by mistake !!
As listed his most serious crime was dangerous driving , although this crime isn't good it sounded like he was a murderer or rapist.

My sister lives one street away from the prison .

I'm sure he thought he got an early pardon 🤔 I don't even think he was really hiding , you can't hide in Bondi there is always heaps of police walking around

How on earth could this have happened, where did this all went wrong ? Was there a mixup and some one else was suppose to be released in stead of the guy who did traffic offences?
Shouldn’t there be a double of triple check for identity ?
If you are going to the operating theatre , you will be asked several times what procedure should be done .
I know , still mistakes are happening .

Reactions: Chrisaw14
Firstly I don't understand why it was on TV and the radio here in Sydney stating a manhunt after a prisoner was released by mistake !!
As listed his most serious crime was dangerous driving , although this crime isn't good it sounded like he was a murderer or rapist.

My sister lives one street away from the prison .

I'm sure he thought he got an early pardon 🤔 I don't even think he was really hiding , you can't hide in Bondi there is always heaps of police walking around
That wasn’t his only crime