Plus-size Kmart coat controversy explodes online: ‘Come on, Kmart’

The world of fashion retail is no stranger to controversy, and an incident involving a Kmart shopper's experience has sparked an intense debate about the inclusivity of plus-size clothing.

The shopper's online post, expressing disappointment over a plus-size coat not being available in smaller sizes, has opened up a broader conversation about representation and the availability of stylish clothing options for all body types.

The shopper's initial post seemed innocent enough, lamenting the lack of sizes, such as Kmart’s Curve Long Sleeve Trench Coat ($49), in sizes smaller than 18.

'I saw these today, and they feel gorgeous. I'm upset that they are only in the 18-26 sizes. Come on, Kmart. They should be available for all sizes,' she wrote.

However, this plea for inclusivity was met with a wave of responses highlighting a different perspective.

image.jpg
A plus-sized Kmart item has sparked controvery online. Credit: Kmart

Many members of the online community were quick to point out the ongoing struggle for plus-sized individuals to find fashionable and flattering clothing.

'There's so much nice stuff that's not available in the bigger sizes,' one commenter noted, while another stated, 'Finally, plus-size people get an option that isn't second best to regular sizes, and you're complaining? Check your privilege!'

‘I was just thinking this. It's not often that the curve range has nice things that the standard range doesn't have, but the opposite always happens,’ another said.

‘Straight sizes get all the cute s**t, I can't feel bad that you miss out on one thing when we miss out on 96 per cent of clothes sold in stores.’

The conversation soon escalated as some accused the original poster of failing to recognise the systemic challenges faced by those who wear plus sizes.

'All the other clothes everywhere that are readily available in smaller sizes, why pick this one thing to complain about? Read the room,' urged one commenter.

‘Let us big ladies have something for just us! It's normally the other way around!’ another commenter exclaimed.

Another echoed, ‘Be fair! It's about time they put some effort into the plus sizes. The rest of the store is devoted to the 6-16s.’

The debate revealed the stark reality of the fashion industry's often limited and uninspired plus-size offerings.

Sarcastic comments like, ‘Have you seen the plus-size range...it's shameful! I'd rather have all your options over one coat that feels nice,’ and 'Here's a garbage bag and a mumu, pick one,' underscored the frustration felt by many plus-sized shoppers.

Despite the heated discussion, some tried to bridge the gap by suggesting similar options available in Kmart's standard size range.

'Nine times out of ten, whatever they have in the curve range, they have a similar standard option,' one person pointed out.

Another commenter gave a dose of reality for shoppers who don’t fit standard sizing.

'Plus-size people are crying out for more options and representation. Please don't make out like you're being hard done by,' they said.

In a previous story, a plus-sized traveller shared her thoughts on how airlines’ policies are discriminatory.

What were her claims against airlines? You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • There has been a heated debate on social media regarding the availability of plus-sized clothing at Kmart, sparked by a shopper's request for a coat in smaller sizes.
  • The shopper's complaint about a trench coat only available in plus sizes led to a broader conversation about inclusivity and fashion options for plus-sized individuals.
  • Some social media users highlighted the scarcity of stylish options for plus-size people, while others criticised the complainer for not understanding the challenges faced by plus-sized shoppers.
  • The discussion underscored the desire for more diverse and equally fashionable clothing choices for all body types, acknowledging the often limited options available in plus sizes.
Have you faced similar challenges in finding clothing that fits and flatters? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Liag
Sponsored
This woman can bugger off...how many years have plus size people anyone over a size 14 have not had choices in clothing at most known brands...Dotti, Katie's, Rockmans, Yeltour, Cotton On, etc only catered to those under size 14 for years and years...nah this woman is a sook she's never missed out before...too bad!!

Trushing in Wagga, there is nothing for 14, 16 everything is 20 plus. Some of us are normal sizes and can't buy clothing that looks decent.

Reactions: Marilynne
I'm a plus size lady, when i see something nice that I like it only goes up to an 18, (I'm a size 22 ) so I go to the plus size to see if I can find similar & I never can, So it works both ways anyway K Mart have terrible plus size clothing I always put it down to A smaller size person making plus size clothing, They are shocking,
This woman can bugger off...how many years have plus size people anyone over a size 14 have not had choices in clothing at most known brands...Dotti, Katie's, Rockmans, Yeltour, Cotton On, etc only catered to those under size 14 for years and years...nah this woman is a sook she's never missed out before...too bad!!

Clothes for Plus sizes is so limiting, badly made and ugly. Plus, general they place together (own section on the floor), had this woman looked for clothing outside the Plus Size range/section? there is area/section for Plus size and area/section for normal fashion.

I am a Plus size woman and I find that most of the Plus sizes are revolting, none of the trendy styles that are available in the smaller sizes so this is definitely a first for me as Plus size girls have been suffering this for many years so get over it!

Reactions: relljube
Trushing in Wagga, there is nothing for 14, 16 everything is 20 plus. Some of us are normal sizes and can't buy clothing that looks decent.
Is Trushing a shop, suburb or typo?
Surely, in the whole of Wagga there are outlets that look after sizes under 20. Just about every well known outlet in Oz gives priority to smaller sizes.

Plus size (yes I am) are the Aged Pensioners of the clothing industry - always forgotten or getting the left-overs. How many of us would honestly wear horizontal stripes by preference? I make my own outfits these days. My own choice of fabrics and colours, not buying one of the same as hundreds of others. The last time I bought a blouse I walked into a solicitors office a couple of hundred kilometers away and there met a woman wearing the same top. Never again!

Plus size (yes I am) are the Aged Pensioners of the clothing industry - always forgotten or getting the left-overs. How many of us would honestly wear horizontal stripes by preference? I make my own outfits these days. My own choice of fabrics and colours, not buying one of the same as hundreds of others. The last time I bought a blouse I walked into a solicitors office a couple of hundred kilometers away and there met a woman wearing the same top. Never again!
Meeting someone wearing the same top - sorry I really did crack up over that. A couple of years back a young girl was whispering to her dad and pointing at me when I asked what was wrong the girl said we are twins, really are you sure I asked. Yes, she said - turns out we were wearing the same style of sneakers - Kmart kids department.

Where were you hiding when the feet were given out as a little kid?
I must have been well and truly behind the door because I missed out on the height as well {4' 7"}. I remember one time when I was out with my 3 sisters and some old biddy said to another "who's the blonde with the Williams girls", the answer "that's their older sister, she's very plain compared to the others."
When I told mum she had some wonderful wisdom "you have something others only dream of - natural blonde hair, when my sisters started to go blonde, I always had a smug feeling on the inside.

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
In a slightly different situation, I was in KMart today looking to buy some knickers that go all the way to the waist. I was unable to find any size 16. Various styles had sizes 8 to 14 and 18 to 26. I looked in all the fixtures and eventually found a size 16 that filled the bill but was not exactly what I originally wanted. And it appeared to be the only one.