Plumber Reveals Unexpected Product That Could Be Destroying Your Toilet!

We all want a sparkling clean toilet, but your tried and tested cleaning method could be destroying your porcelain throne. Bleach tablets are a popular choice for toilet cleaning, but a plumbing company has revealed this 'quick fix' could be doing irreparable damage.

Bleach tablets are a multi-purpose fixture in cleaning cupboards, promising to kill up to 99.9% of germs when used to disinfect surfaces. This convenience makes them a tempting choice for cleaning toilets – just drop one in, and you’re done.

However, with this 'quick fix' comes hidden dangers. Mr. Rooter Plumbing Company has revealed that bleach tablets can corrode pipes and dissolve your toilet's plastic, rubber gaskets, and washers. 'The longer the tablet sits, the longer its chemicals chip away at your toilet's materials.’

Untitled design.png
Professional Plumber warns about cleaning your toilet with bleach tablets! Image: Freepik.

Every time the toilet is flushed, bacteria, minerals, and contaminants escape into the water tank. Over time, this can build up and damage your toilet, triggering corrosion that won't resolve itself. Toilet blockages and difficulty flushing can also result from the tablets, as they don't always dissolve completely in the water.

The use of bleach tablets could even lead to financial costs down the line. The warranty may be voided if corroded toilets have been cleaned with bleach tablets, leaving you with pricey repairs. The good news is that you don't need to replace your whole toilet to keep things clean.

For starters, be sure to replace your toilet brush regularly; worn-out bristles won't do as thorough a job, which can lead to bacteria build-up. Invest in a cleanser specifically designed for toilets, which should safely remove any hard water build-up or bacteria.

If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and affordable alternative to bleach tablets, try distilled white vinegar. Not only is it kinder to your pipes, but it's also highly effective at removing stains. Regular cleaning is also essential. Use a toilet brush to thoroughly scrub the inside of the bowl, and for tough stains, leave a solution of vinegar and bicarb soda to soak for 10-20 minutes before washing off. For the outside and lid, simply wipe with a damp cloth and disinfectant.

housekeeper-cleaning-hotel-room_53876-25197.jpg
The ‘old way of cleaning your toilet might be more useful! Image: Freepik

Key Takeaways

• A plumbing company has warned against the use of bleach tablets for toilet cleaning, stating that they can corrode the pipes, plastic, washers and rubber gaskets.
  • The company cautioned that over time, the bleach tablets could result in frequent leaks and hinder the proper functioning of the toilet.
  • Many Australian warranties can be voided if bleach tablets are found to have interfered with the toilet's functionality.
  • The plumber suggested alternatives for cleaning toilets effectively, including using a toilet-specific cleanser and cleaning regularly with distilled white vinegar.

With a little extra effort, you'll be rewarded with gleaming, bacteria-free porcelain that won't be broken easily due to the effects of harsh chemicals. Along with being budget friendly, you can take some pride in knowing you've kept your toilet shiny and safe while avoiding any potentially costly repairs. What do you think, members? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all want a sparkling clean toilet, but your tried and tested cleaning method could be destroying your porcelain throne. Bleach tablets are a popular choice for toilet cleaning, but a plumbing company has revealed this 'quick fix' could be doing irreparable damage.

Bleach tablets are a multi-purpose fixture in cleaning cupboards, promising to kill up to 99.9% of germs when used to disinfect surfaces. This convenience makes them a tempting choice for cleaning toilets – just drop one in, and you’re done.

However, with this 'quick fix' comes hidden dangers. Mr. Rooter Plumbing Company has revealed that bleach tablets can corrode pipes and dissolve your toilet's plastic, rubber gaskets, and washers. 'The longer the tablet sits, the longer its chemicals chip away at your toilet's materials.’

View attachment 34685
Professional Plumber warns about cleaning your toilet with bleach tablets! Image: Freepik.

Every time the toilet is flushed, bacteria, minerals, and contaminants escape into the water tank. Over time, this can build up and damage your toilet, triggering corrosion that won't resolve itself. Toilet blockages and difficulty flushing can also result from the tablets, as they don't always dissolve completely in the water.

The use of bleach tablets could even lead to financial costs down the line. The warranty may be voided if corroded toilets have been cleaned with bleach tablets, leaving you with pricey repairs. The good news is that you don't need to replace your whole toilet to keep things clean.

For starters, be sure to replace your toilet brush regularly; worn-out bristles won't do as thorough a job, which can lead to bacteria build-up. Invest in a cleanser specifically designed for toilets, which should safely remove any hard water build-up or bacteria.

If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and affordable alternative to bleach tablets, try distilled white vinegar. Not only is it kinder to your pipes, but it's also highly effective at removing stains. Regular cleaning is also essential. Use a toilet brush to thoroughly scrub the inside of the bowl, and for tough stains, leave a solution of vinegar and bicarb soda to soak for 10-20 minutes before washing off. For the outside and lid, simply wipe with a damp cloth and disinfectant.

View attachment 34686

Key Takeaways

• A plumbing company has warned against the use of bleach tablets for toilet cleaning, stating that they can corrode the pipes, plastic, washers and rubber gaskets.
  • The company cautioned that over time, the bleach tablets could result in frequent leaks and hinder the proper functioning of the toilet.
  • Many Australian warranties can be voided if bleach tablets are found to have interfered with the toilet's functionality.
  • The plumber suggested alternatives for cleaning toilets effectively, including using a toilet-specific cleanser and cleaning regularly with distilled white vinegar.

With a little extra effort, you'll be rewarded with gleaming, bacteria-free porcelain that won't be broken easily due to the effects of harsh chemicals. Along with being budget friendly, you can take some pride in knowing you've kept your toilet shiny and safe while avoiding any potentially costly repairs. What do you think, members? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
three items in a row....I can't stop laughing. Maybe people will learn that this vinegar has been used since long before I was born. Ya gotta love it.

Bleach tablets can be convenient, but it's concerning to learn that they may cause damage to pipes and toilet components over time. Nobody wants to deal with costly repairs or a voided warranty!
Your suggestion of using distilled white vinegar as an eco-friendly and pipe-friendly alternative is a great tip. It's reassuring to know that there are effective, safe options for keeping our toilets clean without harming the plumbing.
For those interested in plumbing as a business, it's crucial to be aware of industry standards and requirements. Most states require plumbers to take this test and pass it, which is an essential step in becoming a certified professional.
be interesting to know how many rules are in place these days. My father held NSW certificate No 1 for plumbing, draining and gas fitting and brother and I often helped him in the school holidays.

I stopped using tablets and those blue things you drop in the toilet cistern . I was told years ago by a plumber they weren't good.
I just paid a little over $600 to have my sewer pipe unblocked. The plumber pulled out 2 of those toilet cleaners that hang on the side of the cistern under the seat.They had fallen in, been flushed and gradually collected all the paper to form a huge blockage. I warn everyone I can about the issue.

I just paid a little over $600 to have my sewer pipe unblocked. The plumber pulled out 2 of those toilet cleaners that hang on the side of the cistern under the seat.They had fallen in, been flushed and gradually collected all the paper to form a huge blockage. I warn everyone I can about the issue.

My plumber experience, of course, had to be the weekend when the hang cleaner thing I had on my ensuite loo fell in and blocked the water flush. I had a basic plunger it did not do much other than make things worse. I fortunately had access to another loo, but on Monday called a plumber who took one look grabbed my roll of toilet paper unrolled over half of it ( a new roll) stuffed it in the bowl then pushed the button. The loo flushed and the blockage cleared. He said he had to charge me the call-out fee ( 8 years ago now) of $78 adding calling him at weekends or out of business hours would have cost me double. I felt 'cheated' all the same and he did use my loo paper! I guess I was lucky!
I also occasionally use the bleach-toiled powder in between the usual ones.
What about the Blu loo blocks? They also considered ruining the seals and others. I use those occasionally too.
How misinformed we are by some products. I use white vinegar on other things..now the loo too I guess

My plumber experience, of course, had to be the weekend when the hang cleaner thing I had on my ensuite loo fell in and blocked the water flush. I had a basic plunger it did not do much other than make things worse. I fortunately had access to another loo, but on Monday called a plumber who took one look grabbed my roll of toilet paper unrolled over half of it ( a new roll) stuffed it in the bowl then pushed the button. The loo flushed and the blockage cleared. He said he had to charge me the call-out fee ( 8 years ago now) of $78 adding calling him at weekends or out of business hours would have cost me double. I felt 'cheated' all the same and he did use my loo paper! I guess I was lucky!
I also occasionally use the bleach-toiled powder in between the usual ones.
What about the Blu loo blocks? They also considered ruining the seals and others. I use those occasionally too.
How misinformed we are by some products. I use white vinegar on other things..now the loo too I guess
I hear your pain. I had a sensor light installed in my ceiling outside bedroom door. When I went to go upstairs it wouldn't turn on, no matter how many times I switched it on and off.
I called the electrician, and he charged me $110 to change the light globe.:oops:
What made me annoyed was, when I told him the problem originally, he never suggested checking the globe.

Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 34685

View attachment 34686

Key Takeaways

my grandson is a plumber and he told me never to put bleach in toilet or the blue thing in cisten that make water blue. Now I have read putting a dishwasher tablet in the toilet at night gets rid of limescale, it works but now im concerned. My Grnadson did not tell me this I read it on pintrest. Any answers anyone?

View attachment 34685

View attachment 34686

Key Takeaways

I've never used bleach tablets for anything!
For the loo i use a spray that is a 10 in 1 bleach cleaner meant for the loo and almost follow the de-structions for it - it says spray the loo and leave 10 mins but i double spray it all over and leave 5 minutes before i wipe it dry (as it kills the nasty's straight off) and i give the bowl a scrub out with the toilet brush then spray in the bowl and over the brush again before flushing. It's good $h!t as it covers all areas of the loo so don't have to change cleaners for certain areas and does not have a noxious smell to it like all other cleaners seem too.
Never had a problem with it.

I never would have thought that something as seemingly harmless as bleach tablets could actually be damaging our toilets. Thanks for shedding light on this important issue. It's crucial to be aware of the potential risks associated with common cleaning products. I'll definitely be more cautious about what I use in the future.
And it's great to know about pm247.co.uk and their plumbing services in Bristol. Having a reliable company to turn to for plumbing needs is invaluable. Thanks again for sharing this valuable information!

Last edited:
WWE are always wiser after the event but like all things we should be made aware of the danger of these products.