SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Playing outside until the streetlights came on

Ah, this brings back so many memories! As soon as school finished, we would race home to change into our play clothes (or play in the school uniform if mum let you!) and head outside to join the other neighbourhood kids. There were no phones or social media to distract us. Instead, we made our own fun, playing games like hide-and-seek, kick-the-can, skipping, climbing trees, and so many more. The long summer days seemed endless, and we would only come home when we heard our mother’s voice calling us in for dinner or if the street lights were turned! Do you still remember when the neighbourhood was your playground?

nostalgia.png
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

Great fun games, leap frop, what's the time mr wolf, chicken, simon says, down the park on mokey bars, slides & swings.... the slide was a metal slide & on a hot day you would scorch you bum, catching tadpoles in the creek & if lucky enough to own a trike, bike or scooter, we did that to. Growing up in the 50' & 60's was so much fun...then the 70's as a teenager was amazing. If you were not married by 20 - 22, you were considered to become a spinster. Us baby boomers lived the best, safest, fun lives of any generation. Things were so much simpler and easy going. You did your best & made the most with what you had. Being brought up in big family clothes & toys were always handed down through to the youngest & it did not matter to us at all. Precious memories.

Ah, this brings back so many memories! As soon as school finished, we would race home to change into our play clothes (or play in the school uniform if mum let you!) and head outside to join the other neighbourhood kids. There were no phones or social media to distract us. Instead, we made our own fun, playing games like hide-and-seek, kick-the-can, skipping, climbing trees, and so many more. The long summer days seemed endless, and we would only come home when we heard our mother’s voice calling us in for dinner or if the street lights were turned! Do you still remember when the neighbourhood was your playground?

View attachment 15716

I grew up in an inner suburb in the 50’s, we played marbles, cricket, kicked a football made out of the Sporting globe newspaper and string, until the lights came on and went inside for dinner.. great times..

I grew up overseas - played outside, eyed a young guy (my husband now) walking on the opposite footpath and didn’t have any fear about being attacked by anyone. That was in the early 60s. After getting married in Australia in late 60 and having my 3 children, unfortunately I had to keep an eye on them every time they played outside to make sure they didn’t stray outside our yard or neighbour’s yard on the opposite side of the street and didn’t get hit by a car or abducted. It’s a sorry life we follow these days - watching young children stay safe and hoping and praying older ones come home safe after an evening out.

The 60s were great.

There was three very close families with eleven children between them…our extended brothers and sisters along with extra mum’s and dad’s. We all played hopscotch after school, very fierce competition between all. As soon as the street lights would go on, we would hear a mother’s voice and all would go to one home for our evening meal. This went on for about eight years until older children started to leave to pursue their chosen careers.
We are still all very close after fifty or so years. There is never a wedding, birthday or funeral where we are all together!!
Sadly all our parents have passed away, and a couple of siblings..but we are all “family”

Last edited:

View attachment 15716

W

View attachment 15716

We had a spare allotment next door and all the neighbourhood kids would race home from school for a game of soccer One stipulation was that we finish before 5.30pm so we could listen to Hop Harrigan on the wireless

Reactions: Granny*Deb
I also grew up in the 60’s and like the other’s played games with neighbours I am 1 of 10 kids so everyone came to our street to play and after dinner or tea as we called it then I would watch my older sisters get ready for their dates teasing their hair putting on their makeup whilst my older brother was spitting on his shoes 👞 and what that did I will never know maybe it made them clean

Awww thanks for sharing your stories and taking me on a trip down memory lane, folks! :) I remember refusing to go inside for dinner and continue playing with the neighbourhood kids, which I now realise might have contributed to my stomach ulcer today. 😅