Pillow Talk: Expert Tips for Keeping Your Pillows Fresh and Clean

Did you know that washing your pillows is just as important as washing your sheets? That's right, neglecting your pillows could lead to a buildup of dirt, sweat, and even bacteria. Gross, right?

First off, let's talk about sweat. Yep, we all sweat at night (even if you don't think you do), and that moisture can seep into your pillows over time, creating the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and even mould. Not exactly a cosy and comfortable sleep environment for anyone…

It's not just your sweat that can accumulate in your pillows. Dead skin cells, hair oils, and makeup residue can also make their way into your pillowcase and ultimately your pillow.

And if you suffer from allergies or asthma, these allergens can exacerbate your symptoms, making for a less restful night's sleep.

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 4.38.45 PM.png
Washing your pillows is a must-do task for a clean and healthy sleeping environment. Credit: Unsplash/Isaac Martin.

But don't just take our word for it. Carolina McCauley, the so-called 'home hacks queen' on social media, is here to share her tips for washing pillows correctly and how often we should be washing them.

According to the Perth-based mum, it's important to wash pillows at least twice a year to keep them clean and fresh.

So how does Carolina recommend washing pillows?

First, she suggests placing the pillows in the drum with half a cup of baking soda. It's important not to overload your machine, though. Then, add a gentle laundry liquid and a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide to the detergent drawer.

Instead of fabric softener, Carolina recommends using half a cup of vinegar and a few drops of eucalyptus oil to 'kill dust mites'. And don't forget to add dryer balls in the drum so the pillows keep their shape.

This process, Carolina said, ensures that the pillows come out of the washing machine fresh and free from germs and bacteria.

Although her video went down a treat on social media – racking up close to a million views – it did prompt a few viewers to ask questions, mainly about the safety of mixing the vinegar with the hydrogen peroxide, which can apparently be 'dangerous' if combined.

Carolina was quick to clarify her method, stating that the two substances were not mixed together and that they have to be placed in separate compartments of the washing machine. Safety first, folks!

But perhaps the most important thing that Carolina emphasised was to check the labels of your pillows before attempting to clean them. This way, you'll know which setting and type of detergent is best for washes. Some pillows may not be suitable for machine washing at all and may require professional cleaning instead.

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 4.38.39 PM.png
Peracetic acid is best used by experts and is not recommended for household use. Credit: Unsplash/CDC.

Mixing hydrogen peroxide and vinegar: What are the dangers?

Have you ever wondered what happens when you mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide? Well, it turns out that these two common household items create a pretty powerful disinfectant called peracetic acid!

Peracetic acid is used in food and medical industries to kill off all sorts of nasty microorganisms, spores, and viruses. It even helps purify water!

However, peracetic acid also has a dark side.

If you're not careful, peracetic acid can be pretty harmful. It's corrosive and toxic, and it emits some dangerous fumes. So, unless you're an expert, it's probably best to leave peracetic acid to the professionals.

Mixing vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one bottle is a definite no-no. This creates an unstable mixture that could be dangerous. Instead, use them as a tag team in your cleaning routine! They work great together, without having to mix them up.

The dynamic duo of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are a powerful cleaning force. Just remember to use them safely and separately.

gXk103oJkN0vcLIIMsGC9FeNIVKCdQvxlFAtdY-xEgeKKhxvvmQtJgF_L7FE4pOamnhlXJNi6JLS883AXYOllxOWLEiDu3NBfNHy8VwKe5ovWGtVXK_UIYQFTT-LKfrALGjpWNxd2PKkznfEer5uw_s

So there you have it, folks - washing your pillows is important for a clean and healthy sleeping environment, but it's important to do it safely and correctly. We hope you found these tips helpful, and that your pillows stay fresh and clean all year round. Sweet dreams!

Have you got any of your own pillow-cleaning tips to share? Let us know in the comments below! And if you or someone you know is in need of a few tips on how to care for their pillows, please share this article with them.

Sponsored
My pillows work their way down the food chain! They start life as the top pillow on the bed, then they move to the bottom pillow and eventually end up in the dogs beds. I keep the pillow protectors on each pillow and even the dogs pillows have covers and slips that can be removed for washing. This happens approximately every two years, we get new top pillows and the dog beds get new, old pillows. Had no complaints so far! :)

My pillows have protectors on them and I change the pillows before expiry date.

Pillowcases and protectors are washed weekly.

I have washed pillows before and they are never the same. They go out of shape and don't fluff up as usual.

They do take along time to dry and if not dried 100 % then you risk mold

Last edited:
Most pillows have an expiry date printed on the pillow
And most retailers are selling them past their expiry dates, it was good in theory, but not practical. People either can't afford to replace, or they actually do clean them, or they use pillow protectors. So what is the use by date now?

Reactions: Ricci
Hey there! Thanks for sharing these expert tips on keeping our pillows fresh and clean. I had no idea that neglecting our pillows could lead to such gross buildups of dirt, sweat, and bacteria. By the way, has anyone tried the Miracle bamboo pillow? I've been hearing a lot about it lately and I'm curious if it lives up to the hype. As a new member of this forum, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with it. Also, do you have any other pillow-cleaning tips to share? I'm always looking for ways to keep my sleeping environment as clean and healthy as possible. Thanks again for the helpful post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci