Phillip Schofield faces heartbreaking betrayal that nearly makes him quit TV forever

In the world of television, the spotlight can be both a blessing and a curse.

For Phillip Schofield, a small screen veteran, it has been a journey of highs and lows.

The recent revelation of an 'utter betrayal' by his television colleagues nearly pushed him to abandon his career as a presenter altogether.

Phillip Schofield, at 62, has been a familiar face to many, especially as the former host of ITV's This Morning.

However, his departure from the show in May 2023, following the admission of an 'unwise but not illegal' affair with a younger male colleague, marked a turning point in his life and career.

Schofield's exit was shrouded in controversy, but he firmly denied being 'forced out' and expressed deep regret for deceiving his channel, colleagues, and loved ones.

1727659574037.png
Betrayal by television colleagues has affected Phillip Schofield's desire to continue as a daytime presenter. Credit: Shutterstock

As Schofield returns to television in Channel 5’s Phillip Schofield: Cast Away, he opened up about his emotional turmoil.

The series, which documents his time on the remote island of Nosy Ankarea off the coast of Madagascar, served as a backdrop for Schofield's candid reflections on his career.

On the fourth day of his island experience, Schofield shared his feelings of being 'chucked under a bus' by those he once trusted.

Despite the temptation to retaliate, he maintained that he is 'not that sort of person.' The pain of betrayal is palpable as he admits that his dream of dying on live television at the age of 93 has been shattered by the hurt he has suffered at the hands of his colleagues.

Schofield reminisces about his early days at the BBC, where he started as a booking clerk at 19.

The Television Centre, which later became the filming location for ~~This Morning, was once a place he adored.

‘When what happened to me happened to me, it screwed up my favourite building in the world, and it pretty well blew away all those happy memories, and suddenly the place became hostile to me, and that was heartbreaking.’ he said.

‘And the people who did it to me know, they know how important that building was to me.’

‘They know that when you throw someone under a bus, you’ve got to have a really bloody good reason to do it. Brand ambition is not good enough. It’s not a good enough reason to throw someone under a bus.’

Schofield also touches on the double standards he perceives in the industry, saying that his relationship would have been less controversial had he not been gay.

He speculated that a heterosexual affair might have been met with a 'pat on the back,'

‘I think another TV presenter or two might have done exactly the same thing. The difference is, heterosexual, it’s not an unusual thing in the gay world for there to be a difference in age groups.’ he added.

As the series progresses, viewers witness Schofield's introspective journey as he climbs the island's mountain on day six, contemplating life beyond the television studio.

A poignant moment occurs when he reflects on the poem "Welcome to Holland" by Emily Perl Kingsley, which his therapist shared.

The poem, which speaks to the experience of unexpected life detours, resonates with Schofield's current crossroads.

ITV has been approached for a statement regarding Schofield's comments, but no response has been made public at the time of writing.
Key Takeaways
  • Phillip Schofield has spoken about feeling betrayed by television colleagues, affecting his desire to continue as a daytime presenter.
  • Since his resignation from ITV's This Morning in May 2023, Schofield has released a series on Channel 5, marking his return to television.
  • He reflects on the impact of personal scandals on his career and admits to being hurt by the industry and certain individuals within it.
  • Schofield discusses finding a new path in life, highlighting the importance of genuine friendships and embracing unexpected turns in life's journey.
Have you ever faced a betrayal that made you reconsider your path? How did you cope, and what lessons did you learn? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored