Peter Dinklage calls out Disney’s remake of Snow White: “What the f*** are you doing, man?”

Peter Dinklage is best known for his role as Tyrion Lannister in the historical TV drama series, Game of Thrones.

Like his character in the fictional series, the Emmy-winning actor is also diagnosed with achondroplasia, which is a form of short-limbed dwarfism.

Sharing his thoughts as a guest on Marc Maron’s recent “WTF” podcast, the 52-year-old actor slammed the entertainment company, Disney, for remaking the age-old story of Snow White.

z-zfrwMFhnQfs2mbISkgihdfxM__TD9zOqU_C8NkhK4XQrgpbKpg8WrMPWloQlX3XVogWvXivA8fl07-sx0Wc2z2UZlMgVdDRJSrJ0vFbsZLRZHqd-6_WTcZYJ9R8JY1hIpJ7nDj

Peter Dinklage said the remake of the 1937 animated film was “backward”. Credit: Getty (left), Disney (right).
“There’s a lot of hypocrisy going on,” Mr Dinklage said. “Literally no offence to anyone, but I was a little taken aback when they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White.”

Disney recently announced that they would be having the 20-year-old actress Rachel Zegler for the role of Snow White.

“But you’re still telling the story of ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.’ Take a step back and look at what you’re doing there,” the actor continued.

“It makes no sense to me,” said Peter, as he voiced his anger at how Disney could look over the other group of minorities in the story – people diagnosed with dwarfism.

“You’re progressive in one way but then you’re still making that f***ing backwards story about seven dwarfs living in a cave together, what the f*** are you doing, man?”

He added: “Have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soapbox? I guess I’m not loud enough.”

“All love and respect to the actress and all the people who thought they were doing the right thing. But I’m just like, what are you doing?”

Peter Dinklage has always been known in the show business industry as someone who’s careful in choosing the type of roles he would be playing.

In an interview with The New York Times Magazine back in 2012, he blamed the media for always making dwarves the “butt of the jokes”. At the same time, he also went on to say how actors with dwarfism tend to choose the wrong roles, instead of simply saying ‘no’.

“You can not be the object of ridicule,” he added.

Xvr0Z7uViLzdS2tNLUO7nPxddMTwPeEGfjydeyq46ZrkzExoaA5mlVzuafl2aXfs4pERX5k3Jt_qtJV9us-8pnCfR1E4iiU82vsnkRp7_U7XKTQ2Udg9zAc0fApn3iD_Y5UBdNe7

21-year-old swimmer Will Perry also spoke out against the abuse he has received for his dwarfism. Credit: Northampton Chronicle and Echo.
British Paralympian swimmer Will Perry, shares the same sentiments as Mr Dinklage, calling out how people with dwarfism were often portrayed as “mythical or comical characters” in the media.

“I know loads of people who love [Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs] for the right reason... but we are now in the 21st Century,” he said in a BBC interview.

“People like Disney, who have influence over young people, need to be influencing them in the right direction.”

Disney has since responded to the veteran actor’s statement.

“To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community,” said a spokesperson for the company.

“We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period.”

According to the casting sheets that TheWrap has seen, Disney will be showing a group of “magical creatures” in the film, instead of dwarves. The company is also reportedly looking for voice actors to give these creatures their own personalities.

Yikes! This sounds like a major case of misrepresentation on Disney’s part… But we’ll just have to wait until the film has finished production to see.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored