Pensioner who was fined $236 for painting DIY road safety markings on a busy road outside his home slams his local council for their inaction

A 79-year-old British pensioner, who was fined £130 ($236) after painting a DIY zebra crossing on a busy road outside his home, has claimed that it took his local council 18 months to paint out its own road safety signs, complaining that the new markings are not as effective as his now-erased signs.

Retired psychotherapist Laurie Phillips said that he was fed up with his local council's inaction after he started a 100-signature petition for it to paint road safety markings on the busy road outside their home in Mudeford, Dorset.

The pensioner claimed that seniors and residents with mobility issues were being discriminated against under the Equality Act of 2010.

QGj-cuncybm5IG1nYDOGOCGf8PVerwv7C2dmUsL4C0PlCr81M3bZtBs4-sRl5WnVhlAOGVetIm7-p_iTQZkpFKBtwKvsynPEyY9_cNWHuGBLi4xTWITmxt0NHaiE5og6gHYFcq8

Mr Phillips claimed that his local council ignored his 100-signature petition to paint road safety markings on the busy road outside his home, prompting him to paint them on his own. Credit: Laurie Phillip/BNPS.

It was reported that Mr Phillips woke up at 5 am one morning in August 2020 to paint six white rectangular blocks across the road that he and his 77-year-old disabled wife, Estelle, struggle crossing.

The pensioner was said to have spent several hours painting the markings only for them to be washed away by the council staff just four days after the 77-year-old finished painting them.

Police also summoned Mr Phillips to be interviewed over the allegations of criminal damage and eventually fined the pensioner $236 for the ordeal.

iVU9whuZ-rCkSpl3nlVtocfRaNrOl_vKl31OkUdgoZAsvj1xTk8cLrIb0rVcSAuYykSPQ0vodtW6dBC6Iujrc8kXxexLmqn4sKjpCG-PiNLCFGLKcaozXATR-Lnw1KKQMwWNWvM

The new road markings were “ignored” by most motorists, according to Mr Phillips. Credit: Max Willcock/BNPS.

It was reported that 18 months after the 77-year-old first petitioned for the markings to be painted, the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Council painted their own three 'slow' signs on the road.

However, Mr Phillips slammed the move, claiming that the newly-painted signs were "ignored" by most motorists and insisting that his DIY markings were respected by riders.

He explained: "It is just ironic that they washed away the signs that I made, saying they weren't necessary, and 18 months later they are now painting their own signs."

"I think I did a better job of it the first time around - my markings were broader and took up more of the road."

It should be noted that as many as 5,000 cars use the road outside Mr Phillips' home as it connects motorists to Mudeford Quay, a popular tourist spot.

The retired psychotherapist said: "The council have painted slow signs on the approach to Mudeford Quay."

"There are now three painted slow signs on the road which is similar to what I put up in the first place."

"It is just ironic that they washed away the signs that I made, saying they weren't necessary, and 18 months later they are now painting their own signs."

"It is better than nothing, but not much better, as nearly all the cars are still not slowing down."

"Not many people are going to reduce their speed for a slow sign, they'll only do it if there is a speed limit change or a speed camera."

"They haven't put up any electronic signs so people will know how many parking are available on the quay and when the car park is full."

"That would be useful, especially during the summer months as it would stop the endless queues of cars idling as they wait for a parking space."

"They need to put slow signs on the top road as well as people do come tearing along that road, especially in the evenings."

The pensioner also recalled the moment he was summoned by the police, labelling it as an "unnecessary waste of police time" which had caused him "unnecessary stress".

He remarked: "Looking back on how I was treated after the temporary zebra crossing, the council were very heavy-handed, it was an over-reaction and it could have been handled much more sensibly."

"The prosecution was a complete waste of valuable police time, as well as causing unnecessary stress through many delays in the process to me and my wife."

iOZv8xQNOb74jrb-Z_y7joQhzCK-CX83XR2DHIO07hjF0Wqjyjpu9WvSCoQkz_e5peZM2cHu6KHD0H3s3To59MmxXOCCy97YuqtxtP0QdyF0w8pJd6q-jvFTIYMVuNqHAKFXkoQ

Mr Phillips said that people with mobility issues such as his wife, Estelle, were discriminated against under the Equality Act 2010. Credit: Max Willcock/BNPS.

A BCP Council spokesperson confirmed that they received the petition and were actually keen on installing the markings.

The spokesperson explained: "The 'slow' line markings were installed following discussions around what can be done to keep both road users and pedestrians safe on Chichester Way."

"We are pleased that this has been completed by our lining team as it is still an active safety measure whilst crossing requests are reviewed."

"We can confirm a crossing request has been submitted for this area. We have many requests to assess but we aim to conduct a site visit in the coming months around April or May."

"By 'assess' we mean visiting the site for a number of hours physically counting all vehicle traffic and pedestrians crossing. We need to carry out these assessments at the busiest time possible, which means we will carry out our visit here when we expect warmer weather and more visitors."

What are your thoughts on this? Was it appropriate for Mr Phillips to be fined, or would you have bought him a beer?

Sponsored
Good on you I would of done the same . There was no need for the heavy handed action by the council

Reactions: Ricci
Pensioner who was fined $236 for painting DIY road safety markings on a busy road outside his home slams his local council for their inaction

A 79-year-old British pensioner, who was fined £130 ($236) after painting a DIY zebra crossing on a busy road outside his home, has claimed that it took his local council 18 months to paint out its own road safety signs, complaining that the new markings are not as effective as his now-erased signs.

Retired psychotherapist Laurie Phillips said that he was fed up with his local council's inaction after he started a 100-signature petition for it to paint road safety markings on the busy road outside their home in Mudeford, Dorset.

The pensioner claimed that seniors and residents with mobility issues were being discriminated against under the Equality Act of 2010.

QGj-cuncybm5IG1nYDOGOCGf8PVerwv7C2dmUsL4C0PlCr81M3bZtBs4-sRl5WnVhlAOGVetIm7-p_iTQZkpFKBtwKvsynPEyY9_cNWHuGBLi4xTWITmxt0NHaiE5og6gHYFcq8

Mr Phillips claimed that his local council ignored his 100-signature petition to paint road safety markings on the busy road outside his home, prompting him to paint them on his own. Credit: Laurie Phillip/BNPS.

It was reported that Mr Phillips woke up at 5 am one morning in August 2020 to paint six white rectangular blocks across the road that he and his 77-year-old disabled wife, Estelle, struggle crossing.

The pensioner was said to have spent several hours painting the markings only for them to be washed away by the council staff just four days after the 77-year-old finished painting them.

Police also summoned Mr Phillips to be interviewed over the allegations of criminal damage and eventually fined the pensioner $236 for the ordeal.

iVU9whuZ-rCkSpl3nlVtocfRaNrOl_vKl31OkUdgoZAsvj1xTk8cLrIb0rVcSAuYykSPQ0vodtW6dBC6Iujrc8kXxexLmqn4sKjpCG-PiNLCFGLKcaozXATR-Lnw1KKQMwWNWvM

The new road markings were “ignored” by most motorists, according to Mr Phillips. Credit: Max Willcock/BNPS.

It was reported that 18 months after the 77-year-old first petitioned for the markings to be painted, the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) Council painted their own three 'slow' signs on the road.

However, Mr Phillips slammed the move, claiming that the newly-painted signs were "ignored" by most motorists and insisting that his DIY markings were respected by riders.

He explained: "It is just ironic that they washed away the signs that I made, saying they weren't necessary, and 18 months later they are now painting their own signs."

"I think I did a better job of it the first time around - my markings were broader and took up more of the road."

It should be noted that as many as 5,000 cars use the road outside Mr Phillips' home as it connects motorists to Mudeford Quay, a popular tourist spot.

The retired psychotherapist said: "The council have painted slow signs on the approach to Mudeford Quay."

"There are now three painted slow signs on the road which is similar to what I put up in the first place."

"It is just ironic that they washed away the signs that I made, saying they weren't necessary, and 18 months later they are now painting their own signs."

"It is better than nothing, but not much better, as nearly all the cars are still not slowing down."

"Not many people are going to reduce their speed for a slow sign, they'll only do it if there is a speed limit change or a speed camera."

"They haven't put up any electronic signs so people will know how many parking are available on the quay and when the car park is full."

"That would be useful, especially during the summer months as it would stop the endless queues of cars idling as they wait for a parking space."

"They need to put slow signs on the top road as well as people do come tearing along that road, especially in the evenings."

The pensioner also recalled the moment he was summoned by the police, labelling it as an "unnecessary waste of police time" which had caused him "unnecessary stress".

He remarked: "Looking back on how I was treated after the temporary zebra crossing, the council were very heavy-handed, it was an over-reaction and it could have been handled much more sensibly."

"The prosecution was a complete waste of valuable police time, as well as causing unnecessary stress through many delays in the process to me and my wife."

iOZv8xQNOb74jrb-Z_y7joQhzCK-CX83XR2DHIO07hjF0Wqjyjpu9WvSCoQkz_e5peZM2cHu6KHD0H3s3To59MmxXOCCy97YuqtxtP0QdyF0w8pJd6q-jvFTIYMVuNqHAKFXkoQ

Mr Phillips said that people with mobility issues such as his wife, Estelle, were discriminated against under the Equality Act 2010. Credit: Max Willcock/BNPS.

A BCP Council spokesperson confirmed that they received the petition and were actually keen on installing the markings.

The spokesperson explained: "The 'slow' line markings were installed following discussions around what can be done to keep both road users and pedestrians safe on Chichester Way."

"We are pleased that this has been completed by our lining team as it is still an active safety measure whilst crossing requests are reviewed."

"We can confirm a crossing request has been submitted for this area. We have many requests to assess but we aim to conduct a site visit in the coming months around April or May."

"By 'assess' we mean visiting the site for a number of hours physically counting all vehicle traffic and pedestrians crossing. We need to carry out these assessments at the busiest time possible, which means we will carry out our visit here when we expect warmer weather and more visitors."

What are your thoughts on this? Was it appropriate for Mr Phillips to be fined, or would you have bought him a beer?
I'd have bpught him a beer!!

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci