Pedal pushback: City council’s new project sparks massive human rights uproar!

In cities worldwide, the creation and management of bike lanes often spark debate and controversy among various groups.

Recently, concerns over safety and accessibility have led to a human rights complaint regarding a prominent bike lane project in the heart of one of Sydney's most affluent neighbourhoods.

This development concerns not just the allocation of road space but also the safety and accessibility of some of the community's most vulnerable members.

A group of concerned residents, including former city councillor Kathryn Greiner, took a stand against the City of Sydney council's latest project—a separate cycleway along the iconic Oxford Street.

Their grievance was formally lodged with the Australian Human Rights Commission, claiming that the design of the bike lane, particularly the island bus stops, is inherently ‘unsafe’ for older adults, people with disabilities, and those with mobility, sight, or hearing impairments.

The heart of the complaint was the perceived danger that the new cycleway poses as the island bus stops are situated away from the footpath, requiring passengers to cross the bike lane to access them.

compressed-shutterstock_2406228859.jpeg
A group of Sydney residents filed a human rights complaint about a bicycle lane on Oxford St, alleging it is unsafe for seniors and people with disabilities. Credit: Shutterstock

On the Today show, Ms Greiner, along with Michael Waterhouse—who reportedly spearheaded the complaint—expressed their concerns.

‘The basic principle of a transport program should be safety for all,’ she argued.

‘But older people, disabled people, people with mobility, sight and even hearing issues are severely discriminated against in the traffic proposal.’

As someone with hearing loss who uses a hearing aid, Mr Waterhouse fears that cyclists may not stop in time for individuals like himself who need to cross the cycleway to reach the bus stop.

He cited troubling statistics from the United Kingdom, where similar bus stops have led to accidents and near-misses.

‘Blind people or deaf people…crossing the pedestrian crossing who don’t realise that cyclists could be coming at them from either direction at a given point in time,’ Mr Waterhouse explained.

‘You simply don’t hear cyclists coming. You don’t hear the bell, so it’s a major problem.’

He also mentioned that a recent survey conducted in the UK revealed that 60 per cent of cyclists in London do not yield to pedestrians at crossings near bus stops.

Construction began earlier this year on the Oxford St west cycleway, overseen by the City of Sydney council, covering the stretch from Castlereagh St to Taylor Square.

Meanwhile, the NSW State Government's Oxford St east project will extend from Taylor Square to Paddington Gates.

‘This dedicated cycleway will give thousands of people [the] confidence to safely get around on two wheels,’ Lord Mayor of Sydney Clover Moore stated in March.

However, Ms Greiner highlighted that the area is ‘highly developed’ and that there is a need for greater scrutiny of the project.

‘Not only is it dangerous for older people…these kinds of bus lanes are really ferociously difficult for older people to abide by,’ she asserted.

In response to the outcry, a City of Sydney spokesperson defended the cycleway as a ‘critical’ investment in the safety of pedestrians and cyclists and pointed to extensive community consultation prior to construction.

‘The bus stop platforms along Oxford St have been designed to meet current safety and accessibility requirements. They include fencing between riders and those waiting for buses, which will increase safety,’ the spokesperson explained.

‘This platform fencing also guides people to use the marked cycleway crossings, making the movement of people walking and riding more predictable.’

‘Importantly, by moving bus stops to dedicated platforms, it reduces clutter and crowding on the footpaths,’ they added.

Amid ongoing debates over cycling infrastructure safety in Sydney, concerns about e-bike usage have surfaced as a contentious issue among different age groups.

The recent human rights complaint by Ms Greiner and Mr Waterhouse underscores the urgency for well-designed and secure cycling routes.

This heightened awareness around cycling safety parallels the clash between elderly Australians and youths over e-bike etiquette in a popular beach area, highlighting broader societal tensions regarding public space usage and mobility preferences.
Key Takeaways
  • A group of Sydney residents filed a human rights complaint over a bicycle lane on Oxford St, claiming it is ‘unsafe’ for the elderly and disabled.
  • The complaint highlighted concerns over island bus stops that require crossing the cycleway, posing a risk to those with mobility, sight, and hearing issues.
  • The City of Sydney council asserted that the cycleway project has undergone extensive community consultation and is designed to improve safety.
  • A spokesperson from the council stated that the new bus stop platforms along Oxford St meet current safety standards and include features to enhance the safety of both bus passengers and cyclists.
Have you encountered similar issues with public infrastructure in your area? How do you feel about the balance between promoting active transport, like cycling, and ensuring safety and accessibility for all? Join the conversation in the comments below and let us know how you think these urban challenges should be tackled.

Sponsored
Over the years I have noted that cyclists feel more privileged than pedestrians. Adult cyclists riding on footpaths when confronted about it just give filthy abuse. E-bikes are exacerbating the problem. All bikes should be licensed with number plates, have insurance and be illegal on footpaths, except for very young riders. There should be an enforced speed limit in dual use areas. Cyclists race through Pitt Street Mall in Sydney's CBD at ridiculous speeds, dodging and weaving through the pedestrians. I asked a policeman patrolling the mall if there was a speed limit and he said 'no'. Time to pull cyclists into line. I like the idea of cyclists getting valuable exercise and not using ICE vehicles but there needs to be a drop in aggressive riding and an attitude of respect between cyclists and pedestrians.

Over the years I have noted that cyclists feel more privileged than pedestrians. Adult cyclists riding on footpaths when confronted about it just give filthy abuse. E-bikes are exacerbating the problem. All bikes should be licensed with number plates, have insurance and be illegal on footpaths, except for very young riders. There should be an enforced speed limit in dual use areas. Cyclists race through Pitt Street Mall in Sydney's CBD at ridiculous speeds, dodging and weaving through the pedestrians. I asked a policeman patrolling the mall if there was a speed limit and he said 'no'. Time to pull cyclists into line. I like the idea of cyclists getting valuable exercise and not using ICE vehicles but there needs to be a drop in aggressive riding and an attitude of respect between cyclists and pedestrians.
Bike riders are a menace on footpaths even on a shared footpath, none of them has a warning device as is the law but they come from behind at great speed giving both me and my dog a fright not to mention the danger of a collision. I agree they should not be allowed on footpaths and should be registered.

I have always felt that cyclists should ride against the flow of traffic. Where there are no separate cycle ways, you share the road. Facing traffic, you see what is coming and people who are about to open car doors, or drive off, can see you.
As far as cycle ways go, I decided to walk on footpaths when the Lycra set took over. So many riders out there behave as if walkers have no right to be there. Some were down right rude and egotistical.
If councils insist on putting the cycle lanes on the side of the road, more research should be done, and road rules put in place. It seems the pedestrian is getting lost in all of this.
I could go on about e-scooters but we all know what shenanigans they get up to.

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I have always said cyclists should be registered with their vehicle registration and have a small but readable plate on the front and back of their bike,,,,sadly if a collision occurs at the moment there is no way to identify the rider ,,they can just ride off into the sunset if they aren't hurt and leave the vehicle driver with possible injuries and damage to their car without anyway of recouping their losses,,,,,I seriously consider most cyclists are a danger out there,,,,they do cause a lot of problems everywhere...time to bring their smug look to a halt

It appears to be a one way street too. How far to people have to walk to catch a bus or taxi to go the opposite way. What about disabled people who have no option apart from a walking frame, wheelchair or electric equipment. Are there gaps wide enough even for a walking frame or manual wheelchair. Most of them aren't as wide as the battery operated ones The gaps are not wide or long enough

Reactions: Ezzy and marni
It appears to be a one way street too. How far to people have to walk to catch a bus or taxi to go the opposite way. What about disabled people who have no option apart from a walking frame, wheelchair or electric equipment. Are there gaps wide enough even for a walking frame or manual wheelchair. Most of them aren't as wide as the battery operated ones The gaps are not wide or long enough
They want people to use public transport, but the people that need it most are those without a licence, yet here they are making it more difficult for those same vulnerable people to access the very transport they need. In answer to another question- the policeman was very off hand about the speed. There should definitely be a speed limit for bikes on paths and pedestrian malls.

Reactions: Ezzy
I checked with our local traffic police and they said it was 10kph in dual use zones., but I have read it is the speed limit on adjoining streets. Whatever it is there needs to be police with speed cameras in dual use areas to stop and warn/fine these people who do not care about others' safety. No ID: confiscate the bike until the rider shows up at the local police station with it.