PayPal users, are you aware of this new money transfer request scam? Here's what you need to know

It's no exaggeration to say that nowadays, many of us can hardly bear to imagine a life without digital payments.

Forget about carrying around cash and counting out coins, this wildly popular payment option makes it easy to transfer and receive money virtually anywhere in the world, in just a few clicks.

PayPal is one of the most popular payment platforms out there, and it has become an integrated part of many Aussies' online shopping experiences.

It allows us to pay with simple one-click ease instead of clunky credit cards—all the while safe in the knowledge that we can rely on PayPal's Purchase Protection program to be there in case of fraud or scams.

But that doesn't mean PayPal is immune to scammers. In fact, with more than 430 million users, this user base makes it the perfect target for scams.

And scammers have plenty of ways to attempt to exploit it. But the one we’re focussing on today is the money request feature.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.18.52 AM.png
If you've ever sent or received money on PayPal, then you may need to be aware of a new scam that's currently circulating. Credit: Brett Jordan.

The thought of someone trying to make away with your hard-earned savings just doesn't sit well with us. So, to make sure you're aware of this new scam, as well as what to do should you come in contact with it, let's delve a little deeper...

According to Australian email security company MailGuard, this 'sophisticated' new scam works by sending a money transfer request to a number of people, in the hope that someone will blindly approve it.

Scammers typically use different reasons in each request they send, but they usually urge the receiver to transfer hundreds of dollars to them, and even provide a phone number to contact in order to feign authenticity.

Even though PayPal has placed restrictions on sending money requests to make sure the user on the receiving end is registered as the sender's family or friend in order to protect users, scammers have found a way to work around this security measure.

How? By using compromised Office 365 accounts to create secondary profiles that are linked to the primary account as 'friends'. This then makes it possible for them to redirect PayPal emails to a list of known users with PayPal accounts.

What's more, the emails sent usually carry the label 'This message is from a trusted sender', making a con job look legitimate to the untrained eye.

As seen in the example below, the 'To' address displays as 'member12(at)(subdomain)(dot)onmicrosoft(dot)com'.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.19.06 AM.png
Scammers are using compromised accounts of real users, rather than creating fake ones. Credit: MailGuard.

So, what should you do if you ever receive a suspicious request?

PayPal is aware of this scam, and its representatives recommend not responding to the request and reporting it as soon as possible.

If someone calls you and is threatening action if you don't pay, be cautious and don't provide any further payment details.

Also, please remember that PayPal's Purchase Protection Program doesn't extend to Family and Friends transactions, so if someone requests a payment from you through this method, cancel it as soon as possible.

It's also important to be extra vigilant when browsing online marketplaces such as eBay, Gumtree, Trading Post, or Facebook, and always double-check the source of any requests you receive.

Lastly, if you've already transferred funds, contact PayPal and have the payment request cancelled too.
Key Takeaways

• PayPal is one of the most popular payment platforms and is often the target of different types of scams.
  • There is a new PayPal scam to be aware of, where scammers use the money transfer request feature to target users.
  • This scam bypasses PayPal's security measures by using compromised Office 365 accounts to create second profiles for the primary account.
  • PayPal advises recipients of suspicious invoices or money requests to not pay and to delete these emails immediately.
When it comes to scams like this, the best defence is knowledge. Knowing the signs to look out for and the safety features to activate when using online payment platforms can help protect users from fraudulent activity.

PayPal, for example, offers a number of recognised security features to protect users' accounts and data. These include two-factor authentication, extended protection to cover unauthorised transactions, and email and text notifications for transactions.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.19.14 AM.png
Remember to think twice and do your research before transferring your money over the internet. Credit: Ono Kosuki.

Enabling two-factor authentication is recommended for all online accounts for maximum security. This requires users to provide an extra layer of authentication - usually either a code sent to an email address or mobile phone, or a biometric verification such as a fingerprint - when they log in to their account.

It's also important to regularly monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. In the event of suspicious activity, contact your financial institution immediately or contact PayPal's customer service hotline at 1800 073 263 or +61 2 8223 9500.

PayPal also provides users with access to confidential information with the help of encrypted communication. Any contact with the PayPal team is made through its support website or via the customer service hotline, which ensures a safe and secure transaction for all parties involved.

Finally, ensure that your payment information is up to date and that your contact information is correct. PayPal offers its users the ability to update their payment information as needed and make sure their contact information is always up to date.

Did you receive a suspicious money transfer request email from PayPal_.jpg

By following these strategies, users can feel safe knowing that their personal information is secure. It also enables them to monitor their accounts more closely for any suspicious activity and react quickly if needed.

As you may already be aware, it's important to exercise caution when using the internet, especially when it comes to your accounts and finances.

To stay safe, we encourage you to avoid clicking on any links that seem suspicious and to always thoroughly research before making any transfers.

If you are a frequent PayPal user, we would love to hear about your experiences. Have you come across this scam recently? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below. We appreciate your input!

Sponsored
We say it all the time - Do not click on any hyperlink whether they are in a text or email. What you do is you go to the webpage direct from the web, then check if anything needs to be done. I get these types of email & texts from so many different sites that now-a-days it hard to tell what is real and what if fake. But by you either doing a search for the web page or using your pre-created shortcut (bookmark) to go the web page you know that you are going to that webpage. Example - I got 2 emails from PayPal within a few minutes from each other both look real, and both were asking me to update my details or restrictions will apply (Contact & Bank details). But in reality, only the one asking about updating my contact detail was real (for 2nd person access). So please be careful and please never click on a hyperlink.

I use Paypal all the time for my online purchases. I get an untold number of emails purporting to come from Paypal, they all get immediately deleted. About once every two weeks I go directly to the Paypal website to check that I haven't missed anything important by blindly deleting emails. So far so good! :)

If I receive an email with the tag 'This message is from a trusted sender' I know for sure it is a scam & it goes immediately in garbage. I never open these emails as I'm afraid that this might trigger another link to make the scammers lives easier. None of my friends would ever ask me for money via Paypal without first discussing their problem with me &, if I thought it necessary, I would just send them money. No request needed.

It's no exaggeration to say that nowadays, many of us can hardly bear to imagine a life without digital payments.

Forget about carrying around cash and counting out coins, this wildly popular payment option makes it easy to transfer and receive money virtually anywhere in the world, in just a few clicks.

PayPal is one of the most popular payment platforms out there, and it has become an integrated part of many Aussies' online shopping experiences.

It allows us to pay with simple one-click ease instead of clunky credit cards—all the while safe in the knowledge that we can rely on PayPal's Purchase Protection program to be there in case of fraud or scams.

But that doesn't mean PayPal is immune to scammers. In fact, with more than 430 million users, this user base makes it the perfect target for scams.

And scammers have plenty of ways to attempt to exploit it. But the one we’re focussing on today is the money request feature.

View attachment 13498
If you've ever sent or received money on PayPal, then you may need to be aware of a new scam that's currently circulating. Credit: Brett Jordan.

The thought of someone trying to make away with your hard-earned savings just doesn't sit well with us. So, to make sure you're aware of this new scam, as well as what to do should you come in contact with it, let's delve a little deeper...

According to Australian email security company MailGuard, this 'sophisticated' new scam works by sending a money transfer request to a number of people, in the hope that someone will blindly approve it.

Scammers typically use different reasons in each request they send, but they usually urge the receiver to transfer hundreds of dollars to them, and even provide a phone number to contact in order to feign authenticity.

Even though PayPal has placed restrictions on sending money requests to make sure the user on the receiving end is registered as the sender's family or friend in order to protect users, scammers have found a way to work around this security measure.

How? By using compromised Office 365 accounts to create secondary profiles that are linked to the primary account as 'friends'. This then makes it possible for them to redirect PayPal emails to a list of known users with PayPal accounts.

What's more, the emails sent usually carry the label 'This message is from a trusted sender', making a con job look legitimate to the untrained eye.

As seen in the example below, the 'To' address displays as 'member12(at)(subdomain)(dot)onmicrosoft(dot)com'.

View attachment 13499
Scammers are using compromised accounts of real users, rather than creating fake ones. Credit: MailGuard.

PayPal is aware of this scam, and its representatives recommend not responding to the request and reporting it as soon as possible.

If someone calls you and is threatening action if you don't pay, be cautious and don't provide any further payment details.

Also, please remember that PayPal's Purchase Protection Program doesn't extend to Family and Friends transactions, so if someone requests a payment from you through this method, cancel it as soon as possible.

It's also important to be extra vigilant when browsing online marketplaces such as eBay, Gumtree, Trading Post, or Facebook, and always double-check the source of any requests you receive.

Lastly, if you've already transferred funds, contact PayPal and have the payment request cancelled too.
Key Takeaways

• PayPal is one of the most popular payment platforms and is often the target of different types of scams.
  • There is a new PayPal scam to be aware of, where scammers use the money transfer request feature to target users.
  • This scam bypasses PayPal's security measures by using compromised Office 365 accounts to create second profiles for the primary account.
  • PayPal advises recipients of suspicious invoices or money requests to not pay and to delete these emails immediately.
When it comes to scams like this, the best defence is knowledge. Knowing the signs to look out for and the safety features to activate when using online payment platforms can help protect users from fraudulent activity.

PayPal, for example, offers a number of recognised security features to protect users' accounts and data. These include two-factor authentication, extended protection to cover unauthorised transactions, and email and text notifications for transactions.

View attachment 13500
Remember to think twice and do your research before transferring your money over the internet. Credit: Ono Kosuki.

Enabling two-factor authentication is recommended for all online accounts for maximum security. This requires users to provide an extra layer of authentication - usually either a code sent to an email address or mobile phone, or a biometric verification such as a fingerprint - when they log in to their account.

It's also important to regularly monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. In the event of suspicious activity, contact your financial institution immediately or contact PayPal's customer service hotline at 1800 073 263 or +61 2 8223 9500.

PayPal also provides users with access to confidential information with the help of encrypted communication. Any contact with the PayPal team is made through its support website or via the customer service hotline, which ensures a safe and secure transaction for all parties involved.

Finally, ensure that your payment information is up to date and that your contact information is correct. PayPal offers its users the ability to update their payment information as needed and make sure their contact information is always up to date.

By following these strategies, users can feel safe knowing that their personal information is secure. It also enables them to monitor their accounts more closely for any suspicious activity and react quickly if needed.

As you may already be aware, it's important to exercise caution when using the internet, especially when it comes to your accounts and finances.

To stay safe, we encourage you to avoid clicking on any links that seem suspicious and to always thoroughly research before making any transfers.

If you are a frequent PayPal user, we would love to hear about your experiences. Have you come across this scam recently? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below. We appreciate your input!
Where you have an illustration of a scam email and there was a paragraph at the bottom saying "Do you recognise the request" or similar and that if not press decline to cancel is that part legit or also part of the scam. Please clarify .

Reactions: Ricci
I love paypal and use it often, I have had many scams, I would say I receive at least one a week. A couple of years ago I contacted them just to be on the safe side and was told it was a scam. I know what to look out for and just delete these emails !

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13499

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13500

I had Pay Pal set up with a retailer as automatic payment for purchases. Luckily PayPal send texts when something is bought on my account. It was a scam! a TV had been purchased, not me! I was immediately able to contact retailer and PayPal and had it all reversed. I then went through my PayPal account and removed automatic payments for stores. I have to manually choose my payment type now, but better security that way.

Reactions: Ricci and Justme49
We say it all the time - Do not click on any hyperlink whether they are in a text or email. What you do is you go to the webpage direct from the web, then check if anything needs to be done. I get these types of email & texts from so many different sites that now-a-days it hard to tell what is real and what if fake. But by you either doing a search for the web page or using your pre-created shortcut (bookmark) to go the web page you know that you are going to that webpage. Example - I got 2 emails from PayPal within a few minutes from each other both look real, and both were asking me to update my details or restrictions will apply (Contact & Bank details). But in reality, only the one asking about updating my contact detail was real (for 2nd person access). So please be careful and please never click on a hyperlink.
Simple. Don't use Paypal.

By the way, how secure is Seniors Discounts Club in regard to our personal information? If scammers can get into Optus and Medibank.............?

I had Pay Pal set up with a retailer as automatic payment for purchases. Luckily PayPal send texts when something is bought on my account. It was a scam! a TV had been purchased, not me! I was immediately able to contact retailer and PayPal and had it all reversed. I then went through my PayPal account and removed automatic payments for stores. I have to manually choose my payment type now, but better security that way.
Just tell the retailer that if they want to sell you anything you will pay by bank cheque and if they don't like it, find another retailer. Cheques, written by you or your bank, are still legal tender and the date of postage of the cheque is the date of legal payment for the bill.

However, beware some Australian telephone "providers" as they happily ignore such trivial legalities. Which is why I must finish my letter to the Telephone Ombudsman.

I also use a prepaid credit card with PayPal. Rarely has more than $20 - $50 on it. Makes it harder for the scammers. Buy at the post office

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13499

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13500

47088965-6E63-42C7-9861-E29917E00420.jpeg

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13499

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13500

I get a few a month. PayPal want these emails forwarded to [email protected] and they deal with them.

If I get then I forward them to spoof@paypal for them to ? trace and be aware of then delete them 99.9% of the time I get a message back from them saying thanks
I tried doing that but the email bounced back. Seems a lot of companies (like McAfee and Norton) don’t want to know about attempts to use their name in scams and aren’t prepared to help try to stamp them out.

• Sad
If I get then I forward them to spoof@paypal for them to ? trace and be aware of then delete them 99.9% of the time I get a message back from them saying thanks
I just had another look at their website. Seems they've changed their email address to do this. I'll have to change the original address I had for them. This is what they say.

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13499

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13500

Seems Paypal have changed the email address to send fake emails to [email protected]

I tried doing that but the email bounced back. Seems a lot of companies (like McAfee and Norton) don’t want to know about attempts to use their name in scams and aren’t prepared to help try to stamp them out.
Yeah I've never had acknowledgement form those companies either, but have had from Paypal and Optus.

I had been a regular user of paypal for many years & i put $2000 in Paypal to restrict the limit for regular transactions I had just topped up the $2000 & went to use the acct & payal notified me the I have NO acct there any more as my acct had been closed & transferred to Austin Texas USA & the acct
was empty I got onto Paypal & they recognised it & they reffunded all my money & I asked to have my acct back & the guy said yes sure but they woulf send a message to this phone number ****** & I laughed at him & said you would be stupid that number is the scammer & you want to notify him that there is more money in the acct for him to have a second bite at it
the PayPal guy went silent & stammered & he cut my phone call off so I still dont have a Pay Pal acct
som of these big companies do get some smart people to work for them hahahahahaha

• Wow