Pasta showdown: Unveiling the BEST and WORST supermarket brands! Is your favourite on the list?

An argument could be made that pasta is one of the world’s greatest culinary inventions.

It’s versatile and satisfying and can be transformed from a simple staple into a mouth-watering masterpiece in a matter of minutes, especially if you have a decent sauce and perhaps a glass of wine on standby!

The fresh pasta selection in our local supermarket aisles has rapidly expanded and evolved, moving from standard spaghetti and lasagna to more exotic and innovative options.

This can be attributed to the soaring interest in ready-made supermarket meals as consumers swap restaurant dishes for hassle-free, home dining experiences amidst the escalating cost of living.

As we know all too well, every dollar saved is a dollar earned!

pasta_pexels_79d45f85-0647-4246-8241-c6d2a990eb1f.jpeg
The fresh pasta section of supermarkets has seen an increase in sales. Credit: Pexels/Engin Akyurt.

A consumer report by NAB in July revealed that 55 per cent of 2000 surveyed consumers were ready to forgo dining out or takeaways to balance their budgets. Who could blame them when you can enjoy restaurant-quality pasta in the comfort of your own home for as little as $2.50 per serving?

According to a Woolworths spokesperson, the past year has witnessed a spike in fresh pasta sales as customers seek fancier home dining options. Coles has also introduced several home brand options targeting specific lifestyles. Both major supermarkets now offer over 20 varieties of fresh pasta.

Industry predictions estimate a 3.65 per cent increase in the pasta market's revenue across Australia in the upcoming year.

With such a dazzling array of mass-produced fresh pasta available, how do you choose which one to add to your boiling pot?

For this reason, Bianca Hrovat from Good Food put an array of supermarket pasta to the test. There were three categories—fresh supermarket filled, fresh non-filled, and wildcard—and according to her, these factors were considered when determining the rankings: colour, length, cooking time, texture, and, of course, flavour.

Every type of pasta was prepared by following the instructions on its package. A generous amount of sea salt was added to boiling water before cooking to enhance the pasta's flavour. This step is crucial for bringing out the best taste in whichever pasta you prepare.

After cooking, the pasta was drained and taste-tested both before and after being paired with a homemade sauce.

WORST

Based on her findings, Bianca found that among the fresh supermarket filled pasta options, Coles' Spinach and Ricotta Agnolotti ranked the lowest in terms of impressiveness. This pasta had a dense and pasty texture, and its mild filling often clung to the roof of the mouth. Furthermore, many of the pasta pockets were devoid of filling, leading to a lack of flavour and substance.

Moving on to the fresh non-filled category, the least satisfactory pasta was the Latina Fresh Gluten-Free Tagliatelle. Bianca immediately noticed its stickiness after cooking, which made it effective for picking up sauce. However, the rubbery texture wasn't particularly appealing to her.

The pasta's vibrant yellow colour, likely achieved through the addition of carotene to mimic traditional egg pasta, also caught her attention. Despite its benefits for those with gluten sensitivities, its higher price per serving ($4.37) placed it on the pricier side.

Lastly, in the wildcards category, the Latina Fresh Vegetarian Broccoli and Potato Pasta earned the least favourable review from Bianca. She likened it to a childhood memory of overcooked, uninspiring broccoli. While not entirely unappealing, it fell short of being her favourite choice, especially considering its price.

photo (1).jpg
Here are Bianca's best picks among the supermarket pasta options. Credit: Coles and Woolworths.

BEST

In the fresh supermarket filled category, the top position was claimed by Rana Ricotta and Spinach Tortellini. This delightful option features a straightforward yet luscious filling, boasting a higher ratio of ricotta and spinach. This filling is enveloped by delicate layers of fresh pasta, resulting in a gratifying burst of flavour with each bite. The taste is both sweet and slightly citrusy, providing a truly satisfying experience.

When it comes to the best fresh non-filled pasta option, Bianca discovered that iPastai's Linguine claimed the top spot. This pasta, made with flour, eggs, and a touch of passion, promises to transport you to Italy with each bite due to its multi-coloured strands. It strikes a balance between being light yet satisfyingly substantial. The texture is firm and slightly sticky, which allows it to gather all the sauce effortlessly.

Finally, delving into the wildcard category, the standout choice is Rana Eggplant Parmigiana Tortellini. Bianca attested to its excellence in ticking all the right boxes: a creamy filling, a tender pasta that cooks quickly without losing its structure, and a nuanced fusion of cheesy and tomatoey notes that elegantly complement a variety of sauces.

Key Takeaways

• The fresh pasta section at supermarkets has expanded due to increased consumer interest in ready-made meals as a cost-effective alternative to dining out.
  • Major supermarkets, such as Woolworths and Coles, now offer over 20 varieties of fresh pasta targeted at different consumer groups.
  • Consumer reports predict a growth in revenues for the pasta market in Australia by 3.65 per cent within a year.
  • Bianca Hrovat from Good Food tested various supermarket pasta options, highlighting the Rana Ricotta and Spinach Tortellini, iPastai Linguine, and Rana Eggplant Parmigiana Tortellini as the best picks.

Elevate your pasta nights with these exciting new discoveries! Check out the list to see if your favourite brand is included. Have you had the chance to try any of these supermarket pasta options? Or, if you have more to add to the list, feel free to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
My daughter loves the Lattina brand. Better yet make your own !

I actually avoid most items that I have never heard of due to the high recalls of items which 99 % of the items recalled are brands I have never heard off eg like this one

Last edited:
Reactions: Monmc and Tervueren
Being an avid pasta freak, I find the best being Latina Beef Ravioli and their range of fresh sauces, such as carbonara and sun dried tomato varieties.

Steer away from Leggo's products. They taste weird!

Just checked my Latina Creamy Carbonara and it's Australian manufactured from at least 82% Australian produce.

My fave supermarket pastas are those little 400g el-cheapo frozen Lasagnes from Woolworths; for years I would buy them @ $2.50 each but now @ $3. They are very handy for those nights at home when I just can't be bothered cooking from scratch, and they are even handier when I'm travelling - they act as an edible freezer brick in my Esky!

My fave supermarket pastas are those little 400g el-cheapo frozen Lasagnes from Woolworths; for years I would buy them @ $2.50 each but now @ $3. They are very handy for those nights at home when I just can't be bothered cooking from scratch, and they are even handier when I'm travelling - they act as an edible freezer brick in my Esky!
I like your thinking! Aldi ones go OK too.

Reactions: Monmc
An argument could be made that pasta is one of the world’s greatest culinary inventions.

It’s versatile and satisfying and can be transformed from a simple staple into a mouth-watering masterpiece in a matter of minutes, especially if you have a decent sauce and perhaps a glass of wine on standby!

The fresh pasta selection in our local supermarket aisles has rapidly expanded and evolved, moving from standard spaghetti and lasagna to more exotic and innovative options.

This can be attributed to the soaring interest in ready-made supermarket meals as consumers swap restaurant dishes for hassle-free, home dining experiences amidst the escalating cost of living.

As we know all too well, every dollar saved is a dollar earned!

View attachment 28222
The fresh pasta section of supermarkets has seen an increase in sales. Credit: Pexels/Engin Akyurt.

A consumer report by NAB in July revealed that 55 per cent of 2000 surveyed consumers were ready to forgo dining out or takeaways to balance their budgets. Who could blame them when you can enjoy restaurant-quality pasta in the comfort of your own home for as little as $2.50 per serving?

According to a Woolworths spokesperson, the past year has witnessed a spike in fresh pasta sales as customers seek fancier home dining options. Coles has also introduced several home brand options targeting specific lifestyles. Both major supermarkets now offer over 20 varieties of fresh pasta.

Industry predictions estimate a 3.65 per cent increase in the pasta market's revenue across Australia in the upcoming year.

With such a dazzling array of mass-produced fresh pasta available, how do you choose which one to add to your boiling pot?

For this reason, Bianca Hrovat from Good Food put an array of supermarket pasta to the test. There were three categories—fresh supermarket filled, fresh non-filled, and wildcard—and according to her, these factors were considered when determining the rankings: colour, length, cooking time, texture, and, of course, flavour.

Every type of pasta was prepared by following the instructions on its package. A generous amount of sea salt was added to boiling water before cooking to enhance the pasta's flavour. This step is crucial for bringing out the best taste in whichever pasta you prepare.

After cooking, the pasta was drained and taste-tested both before and after being paired with a homemade sauce.

WORST

Based on her findings, Bianca found that among the fresh supermarket filled pasta options, Coles' Spinach and Ricotta Agnolotti ranked the lowest in terms of impressiveness. This pasta had a dense and pasty texture, and its mild filling often clung to the roof of the mouth. Furthermore, many of the pasta pockets were devoid of filling, leading to a lack of flavour and substance.

Moving on to the fresh non-filled category, the least satisfactory pasta was the Latina Fresh Gluten-Free Tagliatelle. Bianca immediately noticed its stickiness after cooking, which made it effective for picking up sauce. However, the rubbery texture wasn't particularly appealing to her.

The pasta's vibrant yellow colour, likely achieved through the addition of carotene to mimic traditional egg pasta, also caught her attention. Despite its benefits for those with gluten sensitivities, its higher price per serving ($4.37) placed it on the pricier side.

Lastly, in the wildcards category, the Latina Fresh Vegetarian Broccoli and Potato Pasta earned the least favourable review from Bianca. She likened it to a childhood memory of overcooked, uninspiring broccoli. While not entirely unappealing, it fell short of being her favourite choice, especially considering its price.

View attachment 28223
Here are Bianca's best picks among the supermarket pasta options. Credit: Coles and Woolworths.

BEST

In the fresh supermarket filled category, the top position was claimed by Rana Ricotta and Spinach Tortellini. This delightful option features a straightforward yet luscious filling, boasting a higher ratio of ricotta and spinach. This filling is enveloped by delicate layers of fresh pasta, resulting in a gratifying burst of flavour with each bite. The taste is both sweet and slightly citrusy, providing a truly satisfying experience.

When it comes to the best fresh non-filled pasta option, Bianca discovered that iPastai's Linguine claimed the top spot. This pasta, made with flour, eggs, and a touch of passion, promises to transport you to Italy with each bite due to its multi-coloured strands. It strikes a balance between being light yet satisfyingly substantial. The texture is firm and slightly sticky, which allows it to gather all the sauce effortlessly.

Finally, delving into the wildcard category, the standout choice is Rana Eggplant Parmigiana Tortellini. Bianca attested to its excellence in ticking all the right boxes: a creamy filling, a tender pasta that cooks quickly without losing its structure, and a nuanced fusion of cheesy and tomatoey notes that elegantly complement a variety of sauces.

Key Takeaways

• The fresh pasta section at supermarkets has expanded due to increased consumer interest in ready-made meals as a cost-effective alternative to dining out.
  • Major supermarkets, such as Woolworths and Coles, now offer over 20 varieties of fresh pasta targeted at different consumer groups.
  • Consumer reports predict a growth in revenues for the pasta market in Australia by 3.65 per cent within a year.
  • Bianca Hrovat from Good Food tested various supermarket pasta options, highlighting the Rana Ricotta and Spinach Tortellini, iPastai Linguine, and Rana Eggplant Parmigiana Tortellini as the best picks.

Elevate your pasta nights with these exciting new discoveries! Check out the list to see if your favourite brand is included. Have you had the chance to try any of these supermarket pasta options? Or, if you have more to add to the list, feel free to leave a comment below!
I will always go pasta a pasta meal just carbs and I dont need that sort carbs in my weight loss program.

Reactions: Monmc