Parking inspectors hit law-abiding drivers with parking fines: ‘It’s just not OK’

Navigating the bustling streets of Melbourne can be challenging enough without the added stress of parking fines, especially when those fines are issued in error.

Recently, several incidents have come to light that have left many Melbourne motorists feeling frustrated and unfairly targeted by parking inspectors.

Emma Hodgkinson from Essendon is one such driver caught up in this maelstrom of mistaken fines.

She was fined for supposedly overstaying in a two-hour zone, despite having left her house only 40 minutes prior to the time stamp on the fine.

shutterstock_2512832299.jpg
Parking inspectors were fining law-abiding drivers in Melbourne. Credit: Shutterstock

Thanks to her home CCTV footage, she could demonstrate her innocence.

'I was furious, it's just not OK,' she said.

‘When I saw the timecode on the footage and I compared it to the time on the ticket I realised I hadn't done anything wrong and it was their mistake.’

But Emma's case is far from isolated.

In Richmond, another driver was slapped with a $99 penalty despite having close to an hour left on his Pay Stay app.

And in Stonnington, a driver faced a fine for exceeding a two-hour limit when he had only parked for about 20 minutes.

These examples are just the tip of the iceberg, with numerous other drivers reporting comparable experiences.

‘I was able to prove I was innocent, but how are [the other drivers] going to be able to prove that?’ Emma said.

The pattern of these incidents suggests a worrying trend: parking inspectors, possibly under pressure to meet quotas, are issuing fines without proper verification.

Dean Hurlston from Council Watch has voiced concerns about this practice, stating, ‘We know the job of a parking inspector is well paid for good reason.’

'They definitely have quotas. Councils need money; they're cash-strapped. This is a way to gouge and raise revenue.'

The motorist has the onus of proving innocence, and appeals are not often granted.

If you find yourself unfairly fined, it's crucial to gather as much evidence as possible, including photos, screenshots, and any other relevant documentation from the time of the penalty.
Key Takeaways
  • Melbourne motorists have been issued parking fines despite proving their innocence, sparking debate about the accuracy of infringement notices.
  • Evidence such as CCTV footage and app data have supported claims by drivers that parking inspectors issued incorrect penalties.
  • There are concerns that council parking inspectors may have quotas to meet, leading to unjust fines and revenue raising for cash-strapped councils.
  • Drivers who believe they have been unfairly fined are encouraged to gather evidence and appeal the decision, as the onus is on them to prove their innocence.
Have you ever been wrongly fined, and how did you handle the situation? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
The pattern of these incidents suggests a worrying trend: parking inspectors, possibly under pressure to meet quotas, are issuing fines without proper verification.

Dean Hurlston from Council Watch has voiced concerns about this practice, stating, ‘We know the job of a parking inspector is well paid for good reason.’

'They definitely have quotas. Councils need money; they're cash-strapped. This is a way to gouge and raise revenue.'

Come on all you revenue denialists! What is your take on this???

Can't trust cops, can't trust councils, can't trust judges and can't trust the government. We're up shits creek in a barbwire canoe without a paddle. And yet people get upset when I say this is all revenue raising. I am grateful Trump isn't in Australia though.