Overcome overspending with spending coach’s ‘mind-blowing’ trick!

Many often become more conscious of their spending habits and the importance of financial security.

It's not just about saving for a rainy day anymore; it's about making sure our money lasts and serves us for the long term.

That's why the tip from a professional spending coach on how to curb impulse shopping and overspending is not just timely but could also be a game-changer.

Paige Pritchard, a finance expert and the founder of the online community Overcoming Overspending, has shared a 'mind-blowing' trick that could revolutionise how we think about our purchases.

Pritchard, who once struggled with her spending habits, has since turned her financial life around, paying off $98,000 USD ($150,000 AUD) in student loans and amassing a six-figure investment portfolio by the age of 29.

Now, she's dedicated to sharing her insights and helping others reach their ‘full financial potential’.

photo.jpg
Paige Pritchard shared her ‘mind-blowing’ trick to prevent overspending and impulse buying. Credit: @overcoming_overspending / TikTok

In her video online, part of her 'Daily Deinfluencing Series,' Pritchard revealed a profound truth about our shopping habits.

‘So when you buy a product, you're not actually buying the product,' Pritchard began.

'I mean, you are, but you're not really buying the product for the product.'

This statement might seem puzzling initially, but Pritchard explained that ‘beneath the desire’ for the new product purchased is a desire for something else.

'You're either buying yourself an identity or a feeling,' Pritchard shared.

'Because when it boils down to it, that's all you really want.'

'You want to identify as a certain type of person, or you want to feel a certain type of way.’

For example, she said when you buy a fancy-looking planner, you're not just buying the planner itself; you're buying into the ‘identity’ of someone who is organised and the emotion of feeling put-together.

‘When you buy the anti-aging cream to smooth out your wrinkles, you're not actually buying the anti-aging cream, what you're buying is confidence,’ she added.

Pritchard also said this is how marketing works.

‘Advertising is actually trying to sell you either the promise of an identity or the future promise of an emotion,’ she said.

By understanding that we often seek to purchase emotions or identities rather than the products themselves, we can start to question our motives before we reach for our wallets.

Tip

Pritchard suggested asking ourselves two critical questions before making a purchase:

1. 'What identity do I think that this product is going to give me or reinforce?'
2. 'What emotion am I really trying to buy by making this purchase?'

She also suggested using something you already own to fulfil that emotion or identity within yourself.
‘Realising this and understanding this doesn't mean that you're never going to buy anything ever again, but when I made this realisation, I found that it actually did help me save a ton of money,’ she said.

‘I consume a lot less when I'm actually getting to the root of what I'm really trying to buy when I'm interested in a product because it challenges me to think of ways that I can do that and give that to myself versus relying on a product to do that for me.’

The response to Pritchard's advice has been overwhelmingly positive, with many people acknowledging the truth in her words.

‘I shop with my feelings for sure, great insight, I will be thinking of this all day now,’ one commented.

‘The concept of buying for the fantasy self changed everything for me in terms of buying habits,’ another added.

‘I need this video to pop up every time I open Amazon. Any tech savvies out there who can tell me how to make that happen?’ a third said.

You can watch Pritchard’s video below:

Credit: @overcoming_overspending / TikTok

If you want more money-saving tips and tricks, here’s another one that might help you!

In a previous story, some easy-to-use tricks were provided to help you achieve the goal of lowering your spending habits. You can learn more about these tricks here.
Key Takeaways

• Paige Pritchard, a professional spending coach, shared tips to prevent impulse shopping and overspending.
  • She explained the importance of recognising that buyers often seek an identity or a feeling rather than the product itself.
  • Pritchard encouraged asking two critical questions before making a purchase: 'What identity do I think this product will give me?' and 'What emotion am I really trying to buy?'
  • The financial expert advised ways to fulfil desired emotions or identities without making unnecessary purchases, which can lead to significant savings.
How do you overcome impulse buying or overspending? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think this post and lady is crazy 🤪

Really if you buy a planner you are buying an identity of a person who is organised...no I am that organised person who needs to write down appointments and things I need to buy ect. I mostly use my white board or planner in my phone, and that's only because of my memory loss

If you buy wrinkle cream you are just buying confidence !!! How good if you could buy a jar of confidence.
Come on I use my creams to stop my skin being dry and to slow down my wrinkles. I don't need confidence

Now real tips for saving

1. Don't impulse buy, walk away and think about it , even if it's on sale. I will do this when shopping on line and in store and 95% off time I dont buy it.

when I'm shopping and I see things I didn't intend on buying , I walk away and at the end of shopping I'm still thinking of that item I will then go back and get it. 95% of the time I dont get it. Eg I saw a bag 50% off but was still $125 I then thought before going back that I had plenty of bags and had one similar

2. when you are buying a big purchase shop around and dont be afraid to ask for best price.

My philosophy is if you don't ask it's a no anyway.
I amaze my husband and kids at the amount of discount I can receive when buying something. I have saved us heaps.
Never be afraid to ask. If you don't ask it's already a no. Business have room to move .

3. Stock up in groceries when 50 % off.
I always stock up on washing detergent, dish washing detergent, shampoo n conditioner , toilet paper, coffee ect When it's on sale at 50 % off. I never pay full price for any if these items
4. Limit eating out. People waste huge amounts of money by eating out.
We will pack a picnic or will buy fish n chips and eat by the water watching the sunset. I would take this over eating inside a restaurant. And I've been to many many restaurants
5. Look at any subscriptions and see if you really need all of them.
We had so many , hubby wanted foxtel I want Netflix. I cut the rest and called foxtel and asked for a better price before I cut off. They gave me $30 plus added Netflix for no extra cost so I saved another $20 there

when I see an ad they seem to indicate their product will solve my problem. I didn’t know there was a problem until I saw the ad. Do not even start me with the continuous ads for gambling. What a waste of money - we all know who is the winner in that scenario

i only buy what i need i I don't care if it's on sale if I don't need it it is more saving not to buy it at all I am a minimalist though. and I don't have any extras. 35 pieces of clothing mix and match and five pairs of shoes.
Five Pairs of Shoes: These pairs should each serve a unique purpose, providing sufficient footwear for daily needs without going overboard1

• Ballet Flats: Versatile and suitable for spring and summer, they can be worn with pants, capris, shorts, skirts, and dresses.
  • Walking Shoes: Comfortable slip-on shoes ideal for travel, sightseeing, and everyday wear.
  • Knee-High Boots: Perfect for Autum and winter, especially when paired with tights and skirts or sweater dresses.
  • Office Heels: Professional-looking heels appropriate for work and dressier occasions.
  • Dressy Heels: Sling-backs suitable for cocktail parties, weddings, and cultural.
  • money saving tips.

Reactions: hinda