Over 68,000 seniors in limbo as waitlist for home care packages surges

Home care packages are a lifeline for many seniors, offering services that enable them to maintain their independence and dignity while living in their homes.

These services can include nursing, meal preparation, help with personal care, and assistance with household chores, which provide the necessary support to delay or even prevent the need for residential aged care.

However, the plight of older Australians in need of support at home has become increasingly dire, with figures revealing that over 68,000 individuals are currently caught in a bottleneck, awaiting the allocation of a home care package (HCP).

This staggering number is more than double the 28,665 people in a similar situation around the same time last year, highlighting a troubling trend in the accessibility of essential in-home care services.

However, the Senate estimates have painted a concerning picture of the current state of affairs. By the end of last month, 68,109 people had been approved for a home care package but were still waiting for the support to materialise.

The list has been growing steadily, with about 51,000 people in limbo by December.

shutterstock_1423975307.jpg
Over 68,000 seniors are still waiting for home care packages. Credit: Shutterstock

The Department of Health and Aged Care's Russell Herald acknowledged the increasing difficulty people are having accessing the level of care they require.

'We have seen a deterioration of access, particularly in the last six months,' he admitted.

While the reasons behind this significant change remain somewhat unclear, Herald speculated that the increased demand could be linked to the rising cost of living, which has made the additional support provided by HCPs even more critical.

‘If I was a betting man I would link the increased demand to the cost of living, so just taking that little bit of pressure off,’ he said.

‘If you look at the data and growth in referrals, the lion's share appears to be in domestic assistance, so your cleaning, etc. They tend to be more of your lower ends needs clients.’

Home care packages are categorised into four levels, each designed to meet varying care needs and providing different amounts of funding, ranging from $10,000 to just over $59,000 a year.

Level one is for individuals needing basic care, level two is for those with minimal care needed, level three is for people who need intermediate care, and level four is for those who need the most or high care.

As the waiting list has grown, so too have the wait times for these packages.

Officials disclosed that as of 31 May, 117 individuals were waiting for a level one package, 17,611 were waiting for level two, 36,524 were waiting for level three, and 13,857 were waiting for level four.

Accessing a level three package now takes nine to 12 months, a significant increase from the six to nine months wait time reported in June last year.

For those in need of a level four package, the wait time is six to nine months, up from one to three months in the previous year.

In response to the ballooning waitlist, the government announced earlier this year an additional 24,100 home care packages to be offered in 2024-25.

Aged Care Minister Anika Wells has assured that those classified as needing urgent care are receiving packages within a month.

The allocation of these additional packages is heavily skewed towards level three in an attempt to address the substantial wait times for this category.

Liberal Senator Anne Ruston inquired about the determining factor, or ‘catalyst’ behind those figures. Michael Lye, the Deputy Secretary of Ageing and Aged Care, clarified that officials believed these figures would aid in reducing wait times.

‘That is the best combination of extra packages to get to an average waitlist of six months,’ he said.

Thea Connolly from the department stated that most of the additional packages would be allocated to level three.

‘There is quite a wait for level three packages, so the allocation of the additional packages is heavily skewed towards level three and indeed subsidised by a reduction in level one and level two packages,’ she said.

The department aims to reduce wait times to six months for packages at any level.
Key Takeaways
  • The number of Australians waiting for a home care package has significantly increased to over 68,000.
  • Department officials have acknowledged that it has become harder to access the scheme and linked the increased demand partly to the cost of living pressures.
  • There are four levels of home care packages catering to different care needs, with waiting times now extending up to 12 months for higher levels.
  • The government has announced an additional 24,100 home care packages for 2024-25 to help reduce wait times, with a primary focus on level three packages.
How have you or your loved ones managed the wait for a home care package? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and mOiOz
Sponsored
There is really NO EXCUSE!!! The influx of aged pensioners didn't exactly materialise overnight, or even 5 years ago.
The Baby Boomer generation began over 70 years ago... more than enough time for all governments to think and plan ahead... it was inevitable that this would occur at this time - it's totally shameful and unacceptable!!!!

I found out the hard way that the level of incapacity or illness is not really a criteria for allocation of varying levels of care.
Hubby has been suffering with chronic conditions for many years. For the first 20, I was the primary care giver and was happy to do so. However, as we age, there are limitations that have to be accepted.
Once cancer, toxic shock and fractured spine were suffered, he was put on level 3. Very much appreciated. Now, because he is at the point of needing specific equipment and more hands on care, level 4 needs to come into play. Some time ago, he was re-classified and level 4 compliant. Only thing is, it is a pretend classification. He is Level 4, however, funding is not available. In essence, that means to be eligible for the funding, someone who is now level 4, had to pass away before the next person receives funding. Hard to believe, but that is what I was told.

I was fortunate to gain a Level 3 package about 6 months ago and I have since received a number of items that the assessor thought I needed, including a $4000 lift and tilt bed. Also a variety of bathroom additions,
including a toilet seat with folding arms. Maria G. I sympathise with your husband, he surely needs more support than what he is geting. Have you tried looking at other porviders ?

I was fortunate to gain a Level 3 package about 6 months ago and I have since received a number of items that the assessor thought I needed, including a $4000 lift and tilt bed. Also a variety of bathroom additions,
including a toilet seat with folding arms. Maria G. I sympathise with your husband, he surely needs more support than what he is geting. Have you tried looking at other porviders ?
It's not about the provider in this case. We have been able to have hubby's needs managed to date, with the help of a stop-gap funding approval, but it is going to become more intensive as his illness progresses. Things like motorised wheelchairs and exterior home renovations come under the level 4 umbrella and are certainly beyond our means financially.
It is the Aged care that allocates the funds to the provider. They approve you for the level change, but not necessarily for the access to funding. That is something most people are not aware of. I know I was ignorant of the way it works until it was explained to me. I was over the moon when hubby was approved for level 4, until my provider's case manager explained how the system worked. It's a sad state of affairs, but, we do what we can and each day is dealt with on it's own merits.

So tier one is nearly $10,000 s and tier two is nearly $20,000. I will give all my money to my children and jn five years I can also ride on the taxpayers money train.

When the Federal Government first provided Aged Care Packages, I was one of the first ones hired to administer such packages. Initially, funding was awarded wholly to Local Government entities. I was an Assistant Manager of this program within the Multicultural Aged Care Department of the City of Canning in Perth, WA. My role was to respond to the Care needs of multicultural clients, liaising with the Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACAT) at two hospitals and going out with them to attend to client applications and then refer them for funding at the care level they were approved.

This program worked quite well and efficiently for a while, delivering Aged Care needs appropriately. Then, some years later, this program and its funding was taken away from local governments and advertised to interested private organisations. Sadly, as with most programs involving government funding,
"privatisation" saw the emergence of PROFIT as the major goal of most (not all) entities who applied to run/manage these programs.

Concrete proven examples:
1) Cleaning & Gardening Services - Some of their Cleaners refuse to vacuum or sweep under furniture and refuse to move furniture to do so. Even if you have initially informed the Assessor that said furniture has coasters. This is because a number of Managers of the program maintain they have a policy of caring for their Cleaners' backs and general welfare, so are discouraged from tasks involving lifting, pulling, carrying, pushing and bending. Similarly, they are discouraged from climbing low two-step ladders to dust high places. One cleaner said she is not allowed to dust "in case we break a precious family heirloom while dusting". And not wanting "to bend too much", Cleaners could forego mopping under large beds or bend over brushing under the rims of toilets.
Similarly, their gardeners are asked not to bend, twist, lift or dig too much to protect their backs.
SO, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE AND TRAINING IN PROPER MANUAL HANDLING PROCEDURES???

2) A current Home Care Package recipient received a Level 4 package after I referred her to the Assessment Team of Royal Perth Hospital about 8 years ago. At the time, she was recovering from having been in a coma for 6 days at the hospital, so her condition warranted a Level 4 package. In fact, this occurred at the exact time this Federally funded program was being transitioned from local governments to private organisations.

Four years later, she honestly offered to "return" her Care package or to be transitioned to lower levels 1 or 2 as she had completely recovered and was feeling very well. Her provider told her "not to create waves" and to stay at her level as they did not want the "bother" of revising her paperwork. So now, cleaners and carer come to accompany her with leisurely activities she can perfectly do herself -like window shopping, watching movies or just having a chin wag - all at the taxpayers' expense. At the end of the financial year, if there is too much unspent money in her account, they buy her a new fridge, a new bed and a dishwasher even if she still has all these in perfect condition!

3) There are just too many RORTS occurring in this area ( as with the NDIS)...
No wonder there's a growing and long waiting list for care packages and
so much money is needlessly wasted!

I SUGGEST THAT WE CAN ALSO INCLUDE THIS IN OUR PETITIONS TO GOVERNMENT - AN INQUIRY INTO HOW MONEY FOR AGED CARE PACKAGES ARE CURRENTLY BEING ADMINISTERED.

Signed: Emwick

Reactions: MariaG
When the Federal Government first provided Aged Care Packages, I was one of the first ones hired to administer such packages. Initially, funding was awarded wholly to Local Government entities. I was an Assistant Manager of this program within the Multicultural Aged Care Department of the City of Canning in Perth, WA. My role was to respond to the Care needs of multicultural clients, liaising with the Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACAT) at two hospitals and going out with them to attend to client applications and then refer them for funding at the care level they were approved.

This program worked quite well and efficiently for a while, delivering Aged Care needs appropriately. Then, some years later, this program and its funding was taken away from local governments and advertised to interested private organisations. Sadly, as with most programs involving government funding,
"privatisation" saw the emergence of PROFIT as the major goal of most (not all) entities who applied to run/manage these programs.

Concrete proven examples:
1) Cleaning & Gardening Services - Some of their Cleaners refuse to vacuum or sweep under furniture and refuse to move furniture to do so. Even if you have initially informed the Assessor that said furniture has coasters. This is because a number of Managers of the program maintain they have a policy of caring for their Cleaners' backs and general welfare, so are discouraged from tasks involving lifting, pulling, carrying, pushing and bending. Similarly, they are discouraged from climbing low two-step ladders to dust high places. One cleaner said she is not allowed to dust "in case we break a precious family heirloom while dusting". And not wanting "to bend too much", Cleaners could forego mopping under large beds or bend over brushing under the rims of toilets.
Similarly, their gardeners are asked not to bend, twist, lift or dig too much to protect their backs.
SO, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE AND TRAINING IN PROPER MANUAL HANDLING PROCEDURES???

2) A current Home Care Package recipient received a Level 4 package after I referred her to the Assessment Team of Royal Perth Hospital about 8 years ago. At the time, she was recovering from having been in a coma for 6 days at the hospital, so her condition warranted a Level 4 package. In fact, this occurred at the exact time this Federally funded program was being transitioned from local governments to private organisations.

Four years later, she honestly offered to "return" her Care package or to be transitioned to lower levels 1 or 2 as she had completely recovered and was feeling very well. Her provider told her "not to create waves" and to stay at her level as they did not want the "bother" of revising her paperwork. So now, cleaners and carer come to accompany her with leisurely activities she can perfectly do herself -like window shopping, watching movies or just having a chin wag - all at the taxpayers' expense. At the end of the financial year, if there is too much unspent money in her account, they buy her a new fridge, a new bed and a dishwasher even if she still has all these in perfect condition!

3) There are just too many RORTS occurring in this area ( as with the NDIS)...
No wonder there's a growing and long waiting list for care packages and
so much money is needlessly wasted!

I SUGGEST THAT WE CAN ALSO INCLUDE THIS IN OUR PETITIONS TO GOVERNMENT - AN INQUIRY INTO HOW MONEY FOR AGED CARE PACKAGES ARE CURRENTLY BEING ADMINISTERED.

Signed: Emwick
So true

Hi Marni,

I fully sympathise with you. But if you have read the long reply I just posted, you will realise that we -new applicants - might be waiting for a long time. There are so many rorts currently happening in the delivery of Home Care Packages...the government should really investigate how the funds are being utilised. Then, monies being wasted could go to those in the waiting list.

When I was working in Aged Care, I helped so many Seniors access these Home Care Packages. Now that I have aged and am a pensioner, it is ironical and a kick in the guts that I cannot get a package for my severely health-compromised husband. I have my own health problems that can only get worse in my efforts to care for him.

Emwick

• Sad
Reactions: MariaG