'Outrageous': Woolworths employee sparks debate after revealing the truth behind this 'secret' trolley hook

If you're anything like us, you'll know how frustrating it can be to struggle with grocery bags while walking around the shops.

If you're a Woolworths shopper and you're tired of carrying bags, then we've got some news for you!

It seems like every other day, we here at the SDC stumble upon another new ‘insider’ secret that loyal Woolies employees have shared with the world.

This time around, it was an employee who took to social media to share what he thinks is the real purpose of the ‘secret’ hooks.

Have you noticed the hook placed below the handle on the back of trolleys?

It made headlines recently after some customers revealed that they used it to hold onto their roast chooks while shopping.

It makes sense as well, given we want to keep our hot and cold groceries separate.

But according to Liam Kirley, an employee at Woolies, the hook’s main purpose was sadly not to hold onto roast chooks.

In a video, Liam was seen explaining that the hook was ‘originally used’ for storing hats and reusable shopping bags – nothing to do with chooks!

'Here is a Woolworths trolley hack,' the employee said in the clip.

'Every Woolworths trolley has a courtesy hook so you can hang your hat or your reusable bags.'

Naturally, this assertion sparked a heated debate among shoppers. After all, most customers believed that the hook was invented for the purpose of keeping items, such as roast chickens, away from other groceries.

67143945-11694271-image-m-26_1675125209864.jpg

Woolworths Sydney employee Liam Kirley accidentally stirred a debate after revealing the original purpose of the 'secret' hook on the shopping trolleys. Credit: TikTok/@WoolworthsAU.

'Definitely for roast chook,' one commented.

'It's good for your roast chicken so it doesn’t spoil other food,' added another.

So Liam isn’t the only one using the trolley hook to his advantage. As we’ve discovered, some shoppers use it to hang handbags and pocket items such as keyrings while shopping!

'I use it for my bags and my roast chicken,' declared one shopper.

'My mum hangs her purse off it,' remarked another.

Besides revealing the ‘real’ intent of the trolley hook, Liam also shared some other helpful Woolworths shopping hacks.

For instance, he suggested setting a reminder on the Woolies app to remind you to grab your reusable bags before heading over.

'If you're like me and forget your bags, you can set a reminder on the Woolworths app to tell you when you arrive at the store to get your bags,' he explained in the clip.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths worker revealed what he believes the true purpose of the trolley hook is.
  • Many shoppers disagreed and admitted they have been using the hook to hold roast chickens.
  • Other shoppers said they use the hook for handbags and pocket items, such as key rings.

There you have it, folks! If you’ve been using the Woolworths 'secret' trolley hook for items like roast chickens, it seems you may have been using it incorrectly all this time – who knew?

However, it’s worth bearing in mind that you can use the trolley hook for whatever you please and it won’t cost you a cent.

Do you have any Woolies tips and tricks to share with us? What are your thoughts on Liam’s claims? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you're anything like us, you'll know how frustrating it can be to struggle with grocery bags while walking around the shops.

If you're a Woolworths shopper and you're tired of carrying bags, then we've got some news for you!

It seems like every other day, we here at the SDC stumble upon another new ‘insider’ secret that loyal Woolies employees have shared with the world.

This time around, it was an employee who took to social media to share what he thinks is the real purpose of the ‘secret’ hooks.

It made headlines recently after some customers revealed that they used it to hold onto their roast chooks while shopping.

It makes sense as well, given we want to keep our hot and cold groceries separate.

But according to Liam Kirley, an employee at Woolies, the hook’s main purpose was sadly not to hold onto roast chooks.

In a video, Liam was seen explaining that the hook was ‘originally used’ for storing hats and reusable shopping bags – nothing to do with chooks!

'Every Woolworths trolley has a courtesy hook so you can hang your hat or your reusable bags.'

Naturally, this assertion sparked a heated debate among shoppers. After all, most customers believed that the hook was invented for the purpose of keeping items, such as roast chickens, away from other groceries.

Woolworths Sydney employee Liam Kirley accidentally stirred a debate after revealing the original purpose of the 'secret' hook on the shopping trolleys. Credit: TikTok/@WoolworthsAU.

'It's good for your roast chicken so it doesn’t spoil other food,' added another.

So Liam isn’t the only one using the trolley hook to his advantage. As we’ve discovered, some shoppers use it to hang handbags and pocket items such as keyrings while shopping!

Besides revealing the ‘real’ intent of the trolley hook, Liam also shared some other helpful Woolworths shopping hacks.

For instance, he suggested setting a reminder on the Woolies app to remind you to grab your reusable bags before heading over.

'If you're like me and forget your bags, you can set a reminder on the Woolworths app to tell you when you arrive at the store to get your bags,' he explained in the clip.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths worker revealed what he believes the true purpose of the trolley hook is.
  • Many shoppers disagreed and admitted they have been using the hook to hold roast chickens.
  • Other shoppers said they use the hook for handbags and pocket items, such as key rings.

There you have it, folks! If you’ve been using the Woolworths 'secret' trolley hook for items like roast chickens, it seems you may have been using it incorrectly all this time – who knew?

However, it’s worth bearing in mind that you can use the trolley hook for whatever you please and it won’t cost you a cent.

Do you have any Woolies tips and tricks to share with us? What are your thoughts on Liam’s claims? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Jenny07
OMG!, as they say in the latter-day classics. The things you see when you haven't got a camera. I looked down at the trolley I was manoeuvring around the aisles yesterday and discovered it had FOUR WHEELS, one on each corner! I used to think they were there to make it easier to drag the trolley around, but apparently I was sadly mistaken.

Key Takeaways

A Woolworths worker revealed what he believes the true purpose of the trolley hook is.
Many shoppers disagreed and admitted they have been using the hook to hold roast chickens.
Other shoppers said they use the hook for handbags and pocket items, such as key rings.

Do yoBeen usiu have any Woolies tips and tricks to share with us? What are your thoughts on Liam’s claims? Share them with us in the comments below!

Been using that hook on the trolley for years fir my bags when there empty and when i have a really heavy one easier to manage when you get to the car to unload your groceries

Key Takeaways

A Woolworths worker revealed what he believes the true purpose of the trolley hook is.
Many shoppers disagreed and admitted they have been using the hook to hold roast chickens.
Other shoppers said they use the hook for handbags and pocket items, such as key rings.

Reactions: Zoya
Personally I don’t hang my bag off there - too easy for thieves to steal. I do, however, thread the bag loop through and then back on itself so it “locks” onto the loop and for extra security, I hitch the carabiner which doubles as a key ring, onto a thinner wire on the trolley.

I’ve always hung my bags here, that’s what I thought the hook was for. Sometimes I hang my other shopping I’ve done there also and my handbag but never a hot/chicken or any type of food

Been doing this for years with my bag (double looped over the hook) & I never leave my trolley unattended anyhow to pick up a product for just that reason - my handbag can get ‘lifted’ by anyone when my back is turned & my eyes don’t see. We keep our folded bags in the baby seat section (folded closed) until arriving at the checkout as we don’t have any small children to worry about. Keep your hot food, including BBQ chooks, away from the cold stuff (perhaps in that narrow separate section at the front of the trolley) & the cold stuff won’t spoil - also keep fruit/vegies together in one spot. Makes it easier for the checkout attendant to place all fruit & vegies separately into your bags from other heavier items that might bump against them & mark or damage these tender items. All common sense, I’m afraid.

Keep your shopping bags in the boot permanently - less likely to forget to take them into the shop - or in the passenger seat if shopping alone. Always put them back in the car after you empty them into your pantry - you’ll never forget things (anything) if you always put them back where they came from in the first place.

Last edited:
It is handy for hanging hot chooks on - not so good when you return the trolly and leave the chook handing there. I would never do that though lol

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jenny07
If I hung my roast chicken on that hook it would surely fall off at some point and I’d create a huge mess all over the place. Think I’ll stick with the trolley!! Haha

Reactions: Ricci
Ok so I have the hook thingy figured out I put my handbag handles through it then add my re usable bags on top of the handles, makes it harder to gain entry to my bag from some Toe Rag with Nefarious intentions. While trying to steer the trolley around the store Ï have often said My main talent in life is selecting the only shopping trolley with 4 wheels all traveling in opposite directions. getting around the store is no where near as bad as negotiating the car park on my way back to my car, HELP, does any one have any tips on steering a shopping trolley with out losing control of it and putting me and surrounding cars in imminent danger of an insurance claim??

• Haha
Reactions: 52KID and Ricci