Outrageous! This Aussie mum was tricked by a pub into paying an extra $4 for her meal

We’ve all heard stories about sneaky restaurants and pubs tacking on unexpected charges–from last-minute corkage fees to extra charges for condiments and sauce.

But a Father’s Day meal at the Cooroy Hotel in Queensland, west of Noosa Heads, has prompted an Aussie mum to share her experience after being given an additional charge on her bill.

The family had ordered a ‘Black Angus Rump’ steak priced at $30, including salad, chips and a ‘homemade creamy green peppercorn’ sauce–or so they thought.

When the bill came through, the mother was stunned to find an extra charge of $4 for the sauce, despite it being listed for inclusion in the dish on the menu.

shutterstock_1535919197.jpg
Hidden charges can be tricky to spot. Credit: Shutterstock

'They charged [my] daughter $4 for the peppercorn sauce that comes with the dish. I asked for [my] money back and the manager refused,' the mum wrote online.

When approached by Yahoo News Australia, Cooroy Hotel’s General Manager Tristan Hayes said there had been a misunderstanding and the hotel had reached out to the family to apologise.

It is believed the 'Black Angus Rump' is served in two different areas in the hotel and the serving of sauce is smaller and inclusive of the dish's price only in the hotel bar where the diners were seated.

image1.jpg
The frustrated mother shares her shock on social media with a snapshot of their menu. Credit: Facebook.

'Unfortunately on this occasion, the staff member, who usually works within our retail department, was confused about the sauce inclusion on the bar menu,' Mr Hayes told Yahoo News Australia.

'This resulted in miscommunication and the extra charge. We are now reviewing our bistro and bar menu inclusions, so they are uniform throughout the hotel.'

He said the hotel has reached out to the family on social media to issue a refund and voucher, as well as offer an apology for the misunderstanding.

Many people responded online saying it is important to stand up to the venue on principle due to the alleged poor customer service after the diner queried the cost.

It comes as many of us continue to watch our spending as a punishing cost-of-living crisis continues to affect millions across the country.

Hotels have routinely been called out in recent months as prices of staple pub meals, such as steak and chicken parmies, rise to amounts some deem as too expensive.

However, one local noted the menu shared by the Father’s Day diners was different than the one available for viewing online—with the bistro’s online menu clearly stating the sauce as an additional charge.

After being advised by those online, the diner who shared the initial complaint has since written a Google review expressing their dissatisfaction.

To avoid this experience the next time you’re dining out, remember to double-check the menu for any hidden charges. If you spot an unexpected cost on the bill, don’t hesitate to ask the staff about it.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland hotel has been criticised for adding a 'deceptive' $4 charge to a family's Father's Day meal.
  • The 'Black Angus Rump' steak meal served at Cooroy Hotel allegedly came with a 'homemade creamy green peppercorn' sauce, but the family were charged an additional $4 for it.
  • Cooroy Hotel's General Manager said there was a menu miscommunication with a staff member and the hotel is now reviewing their bistro and bar menu inclusions.
  • Despite the minimal cost of the additional charge, the incident has prompted discussion online about the importance of standing up to venues on principle and amid increasing cost-of-living pressures.

Have you ever had a similar experience to this mum? How do you feel about the additional charge she was forced to pay for the meal? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It has happened to me three time. In WA, we ate in a restaurant where they asked us if we would like water -sparkling or plain. There was no indication of a fee and sparkling water was not on the menu. But they charged $10 per glass for it, while plain water was free. There was no indication at all until the credit card receipt revealed $20 had been added to the bill. When we questioned, the response was ''Oh, sparkling water is charged for."
In a restaurant in Queen St Brisbane we paid the bill by credit card and didn't notice until we were driving home that a $20 ''tip'' had been written in without our consent. I complained that it was fraudulent but got no satisfaction.
In another Brisbane restaurant, we dined on my birthday because the restaurant advertised that if you ate on your actual birthday, the meal was free. They charged for my meal. When we queried, the response was that only certain standard menu items were free. I had asked for my meal to be served without the sauce, as I had a food allergy. That made it 'non-standard'' so it was charged for at full price. What was worse, when my husband inquired, the waiter answered at a volume everyone could hear. Everyone was staring at us. He asked to see the manager and he was equally rude, telling him I had ordered a non-standard dish and he should have read the terms of the offer before assuming the meal would be free. My husband was trying to give me a nice birthday treat and it turned into a miserable night. Honestly, omitting the sauce was such a big deal that they had to renege on an offer of a free birthday meal???? I wrote to the restaurant the next day, enclosing a copy of my online review stating that their birthday offer was deceptive and their rudeness was thoroughly inexcusable. I received a letter of apology but no refund. The letter attempted to justify their conduct. The restaurant closed a month later after going under flood. It never reopened. Apparently it had been operating at a loss and the management determined that there was ''insufficient patron loyalty and positive reputation to justify continuing operations". I wonder why?

We’ve all heard stories about sneaky restaurants and pubs tacking on unexpected charges–from last-minute corkage fees to extra charges for condiments and sauce.

But a Father’s Day meal at the Cooroy Hotel in Queensland, west of Noosa Heads, has prompted an Aussie mum to share her experience after being given an additional charge on her bill.

The family had ordered a ‘Black Angus Rump’ steak priced at $30, including salad, chips and a ‘homemade creamy green peppercorn’ sauce–or so they thought.

When the bill came through, the mother was stunned to find an extra charge of $4 for the sauce, despite it being listed for inclusion in the dish on the menu.

View attachment 29364

'They charged [my] daughter $4 for the peppercorn sauce that comes with the dish. I asked for [my] money back and the manager refused,' the mum wrote online.

When approached by Yahoo News Australia, Cooroy Hotel’s General Manager Tristan Hayes said there had been a misunderstanding and the hotel had reached out to the family to apologise.

It is believed the 'Black Angus Rump' is served in two different areas in the hotel and the serving of sauce is smaller and inclusive of the dish's price only in the hotel bar where the diners were seated.

View attachment 29365
The frustrated mother shares her shock on social media with a snapshot of their menu. Credit: Facebook.

'Unfortunately on this occasion, the staff member, who usually works within our retail department, was confused about the sauce inclusion on the bar menu,' Mr Hayes told Yahoo News Australia.

'This resulted in miscommunication and the extra charge. We are now reviewing our bistro and bar menu inclusions, so they are uniform throughout the hotel.'

He said the hotel has reached out to the family on social media to issue a refund and voucher, as well as offer an apology for the misunderstanding.

Many people responded online saying it is important to stand up to the venue on principle due to the alleged poor customer service after the diner queried the cost.

It comes as many of us continue to watch our spending as a punishing cost-of-living crisis continues to affect millions across the country.

Hotels have routinely been called out in recent months as prices of staple pub meals, such as steak and chicken parmies, rise to amounts some deem as too expensive.

However, one local noted the menu shared by the Father’s Day diners was different than the one available for viewing online—with the bistro’s online menu clearly stating the sauce as an additional charge.

After being advised by those online, the diner who shared the initial complaint has since written a Google review expressing their dissatisfaction.

To avoid this experience the next time you’re dining out, remember to double-check the menu for any hidden charges. If you spot an unexpected cost on the bill, don’t hesitate to ask the staff about it.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland hotel has been criticised for adding a 'deceptive' $4 charge to a family's Father's Day meal.
  • The 'Black Angus Rump' steak meal served at Cooroy Hotel allegedly came with a 'homemade creamy green peppercorn' sauce, but the family were charged an additional $4 for it.
  • Cooroy Hotel's General Manager said there was a menu miscommunication with a staff member and the hotel is now reviewing their bistro and bar menu inclusions.
  • Despite the minimal cost of the additional charge, the incident has prompted discussion online about the importance of standing up to venues on principle and amid increasing cost-of-living pressures.

Have you ever had a similar experience to this mum? How do you feel about the additional charge she was forced to pay for the meal? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!
The pub should have given the refund 🙄 or not charged her and blaming a worker for the mix up how low do you have to go 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 29364

View attachment 29365

Key Takeaways

BULLSHIT, ROBBING BASTARDS

Our Local Bowls Club in Brisbane has started charging $2 for sauce for the steak. I have never been to a club or restaurant where they charge for this, always you choose what sauce. You pay enough these days to eat out a bit a sauce should be included. I think I will start to go somewhere else to eat a club that includes sauce.

Reactions: Marj53
Ordered serving of chips at Capalaba Sports Club in Ney Road and charged $4 for very small pot of tomato sauce and vinegar !!!!Did complain.