Outrageous 'manspreading' incident on a plane sparks outrage

Air travel can be a test of patience at the best of times, but one passenger's audacious disregard for common courtesy has sparked a wave of online outrage.

The incident, which saw a male passenger violate plane etiquette, took an already frowned upon practice ‘to a new level'.

Claire Zhu, a 27-year-old globetrotter from North Carolina, captured the shocking display of inconsiderate behaviour during a recent flight.

Claire and her boyfriend, Peter Ovendorf, 29, are no strangers to air travel.

SDC Images (21).png
A frequent traveller shared on social media the 'manspreading' incident she encountered onboard. Image source: TikTok/@claireandpeter.

The couple bid farewell to their conventional nine-to-five jobs to embark on a 'corporate gap year', documenting their global adventures on their popular social media account, which boasts over 242,000 followers.

Despite their extensive travel experience, the couple was taken aback by the audacity of one fellow passenger.

In a video that has since gone viral, amassing over 8.4 million views, Claire shared footage of a man extending his leg so far into the aisle that it encroached on her personal space.

The video begins with Claire, visibly shocked, covering her mouth.

You can watch Claire’s video below:

Video source: TikTok/@claireandpeter.

The text overlay reads: 'The way this man took manspreading to ANOTHER LEVEL on my flight.'

She then pans the camera to reveal the man's leg stretched out into the aisle, his foot resting uncomfortably close to her seat.

The video has sparked a flurry of comments from outraged viewers.

One user wrote, 'I would lose my mind.'

Another replied, 'All of a sudden, I'd have to get up to go the bathroom an awful lot!'

'That isn't manspreading, that's literally splitting,' a third said.

'It’s like a spider,' a fourth commented.

While a fifth said: 'He will trip someone!'

A flight attendant chimed in on the conversation, saying, 'As a flight attendant, I’d be announcing a reminder to keep the aisle clear.'

The term 'manspreading' was coined to describe the behaviour of men who spread their legs excessively wide while sitting, particularly in public spaces, often encroaching on the personal space of others.

The unpopular practice has become so controversial that certain areas, such as Madrid in Spain, have enacted bans against it.
Key Takeaways
  • A plane passenger was criticised for his extreme 'manspreading' on a flight, extending his leg across the aisle.
  • The incident was shared by frequent flyer Claire Zhu, who documented the event on her social media account.
  • The video showing the man's behaviour went viral, amassing over 8.4 million views and sparking outrage in the comments section.
  • One user who identified as a flight attendant said they would announce a reminder to keep the aisle clear.
What are your thoughts on this incident, dear readers? Have you ever encountered such behaviour during your travels? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I too would fake an accidental bump.
If that didn't work I would approach him and give him a mouth full of granny abuse.
Next step, I would want to know which seat the air security person is in and put him next to the sprawler.
Not good manners. He is very selfish.

My first impression was that at least he's in the aisle seat. I'm sure he wasn't actually encroaching on her space. That said, it could be dangerous - would have been good if the drink trolley accidentally ran into him. If obviously wasn't a Jetstar flight because he actually has room in from of the seat to not crush his knees into the seat in front. Maybe he had a good reason? Who knows? It is a bit rude though

at least his Johnson wasn’t falling out. All corrected now. hhahahahahaha

Last edited: