Outrageous $500 Traffic Fine Leaves Aussie Woman Speechless: Do You Know This Little-Known Road Rule?

It’s easy to become a little complacent with road rules when we’ve been driving for many years. New rules and changes are often implemented and there are hefty fines should we accidentally break them.

We mean, let's get one thing straight - there's nothing worse than getting a fine, but it can be especially irritating when it's for something you're not even aware of.

Unfortunately, such has been for one young Melbourne woman who found herself with a hefty fine after breaking a commonly misunderstood road rule.

Lucinda McGarrity shared her plight on TikTok, saying how she was shocked to receive a $500 fine for something she thought was perfectly legal.

'They say you learn something new every day,' she said in the clip, explaining that she learned her lesson in a 'very dramatic fashion'.

The woman was driving along Rathdowne St, Carlton, one Monday morning, when suddenly the police pulled her over.

The officers noticed she had travelled through a yellow (amber) light and gave her an on-the-spot fine.

She shared: 'And today I learnt that it is illegal to drive through an amber light unless it's 100 per cent necessary to do so.'

'There were police sirens, I was pulled over in front of Florian — mind you if you’re from Melbourne you know, so that was embarrassing. Everyone’s eating their salmon gravlax and tomato tartan while getting the show of their life.'

And while it was embarrassing to be reprimanded in such public circumstances, it was the whopping fine that really hit her.

Lucinda continued: 'I was drug tested and breath tested while bawling my eyes out and receiving a $500 fine.'

'It was so full on. So anyway, don’t drive through amber lights.'

b4f905e0-96d6-11ed-bdff-b501825744bc

Police stunned a Melbourne woman by handing her a hefty fine after driving through a yellow light in Carlton. Credit: TikTok/c1ndarella/Google Maps.

The clip has made the rounds on social media, amassing more than 41,000 views.

However, the responses were divided, with some people encouraging her to ‘fight the fine’, and others highly critical, asking why there was such a huge punishment for a minor offence.

'Fight the fine, it’s so extreme. Try to get out of it!' one person wrote, urging Lucinda to resist the charges.

But Lucinda said that she will not fight, explaining that she was in the wrong.

'I did the wrong thing. Good to know for the future though,' she remarked.

Another asked: 'How do they justify such a high fine for such a small offence?'

'Cops have seen me do this and haven’t stopped me. Do they just pick and choose when to fine you?' a third chimed in.

Others took the opportunity to share that they did not know that they'd been committing this prohibited act regularly as they were not aware of its legality.

One motorist shared: 'I drive for work all day and I did not know this.'

'I thought the rule was as long as the light doesn’t turn red you’re good?!!!'

Another said: 'This is news to me.'

Legally, driving through a yellow light is treated the same as driving through a red - whether the motoring infringement occurs on general roads, or in a school zone - with hefty fines and demerit points handed out in each state.

In New South Wales, the offence carries a $469 fine and three demerit points, although this increases if it happens in a school zone.

In Queensland, the penalty is a flat $575 fine and three demerit points.

In Victoria, a yellow light penalty will get you three demerit points and a $462 fine, while in South Australia, any driver breaking a yellow light will get a $515 fine and three demerit points.

Key Takeaways

• It is illegal to drive through a yellow (amber) light unless it's 100% necessary to do so.
  • If caught running a yellow light, drivers face fines and demerit points ranging from $462 to $587 and three to four demerit points, depending on the state.
  • Many people were unaware that this rule existed, emphasising the importance of educating drivers about road rules and regulations.

So, members, please remember - the next time you’re approaching a yellow light, please, stop (unless it’s unsafe to do so).

Doing so may save you in fines and demerit points, but more than anything, it will help keep you safe and sound. Please feel free to share this with your friends and loved ones so they can be aware and avoid hefty fines as well.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, did you know about this rule?

Sponsored
This is indeed news to me.
What does the Highway Code say about this? Is the amber light to signal a warning to slow down or quickly make through the white stop line if you are about to cross?

If this is true, then the timing of ‘near the white line’ could be subjective and depends on the amber light duration.

I was once fined when my car front wheels crossed the white line while waiting to turn right on the arrow signal but couldn’t.
The camera caught my car still waiting behind the lights but it was the front wheels crossing the white line that was the trigger.

Road rules and traffic fines are meant to deter errant drivers and road bullies, but it seems that the government is using this as an easy form of “fine” revenue with annual targets.

It’s easy to become a little complacent with road rules when we’ve been driving for many years. New rules and changes are often implemented and there are hefty fines should we accidentally break them.

We mean, let's get one thing straight - there's nothing worse than getting a fine, but it can be especially irritating when it's for something you're not even aware of.

Unfortunately, such has been for one young Melbourne woman who found herself with a hefty fine after breaking a commonly misunderstood road rule.

Lucinda McGarrity shared her plight on TikTok, saying how she was shocked to receive a $500 fine for something she thought was perfectly legal.

'They say you learn something new every day,' she said in the clip, explaining that she learned her lesson in a 'very dramatic fashion'.

The woman was driving along Rathdowne St, Carlton, one Monday morning, when suddenly the police pulled her over.

The officers noticed she had travelled through a yellow (amber) light and gave her an on-the-spot fine.

She shared: 'And today I learnt that it is illegal to drive through an amber light unless it's 100 per cent necessary to do so.'

'There were police sirens, I was pulled over in front of Florian — mind you if you’re from Melbourne you know, so that was embarrassing. Everyone’s eating their salmon gravlax and tomato tartan while getting the show of their life.'

And while it was embarrassing to be reprimanded in such public circumstances, it was the whopping fine that really hit her.

Lucinda continued: 'I was drug tested and breath tested while bawling my eyes out and receiving a $500 fine.'

Police stunned a Melbourne woman by handing her a hefty fine after driving through a yellow light in Carlton. Credit: TikTok/c1ndarella/Google Maps.

However, the responses were divided, with some people encouraging her to ‘fight the fine’, and others highly critical, asking why there was such a huge punishment for a minor offence.

'Fight the fine, it’s so extreme. Try to get out of it!' one person wrote, urging Lucinda to resist the charges.

'Cops have seen me do this and haven’t stopped me. Do they just pick and choose when to fine you?' a third chimed in.

Others took the opportunity to share that they did not know that they'd been committing this prohibited act regularly as they were not aware of its legality.

Legally, driving through a yellow light is treated the same as driving through a red - whether the motoring infringement occurs on general roads, or in a school zone - with hefty fines and demerit points handed out in each state.

In New South Wales, the offence carries a $469 fine and three demerit points, although this increases if it happens in a school zone.

In Victoria, a yellow light penalty will get you three demerit points and a $462 fine, while in South Australia, any driver breaking a yellow light will get a $515 fine and three demerit points.

Key Takeaways

• It is illegal to drive through a yellow (amber) light unless it's 100% necessary to do so.
  • If caught running a yellow light, drivers face fines and demerit points ranging from $462 to $587 and three to four demerit points, depending on the state.
  • Many people were unaware that this rule existed, emphasising the importance of educating drivers about road rules and regulations.

So, members, please remember - the next time you’re approaching a yellow light, please, stop (unless it’s unsafe to do so).

Doing so may save you in fines and demerit points, but more than anything, it will help keep you safe and sound. Please feel free to share this with your friends and loved ones so they can be aware and avoid hefty fines as well.

So, if you go through on green it turns yellow you have to stop and reverse back?
You have vehicle behind you , you have to keep going. It’s too rigid. It is just an excuse to raise revenue.

At least Victorian police are doing their job. Obviously, her actions were enough to attract the attention of the police. Ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law. Yes, we all make mistakes.

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

I got my NSW licence in 1971 and that was one of the rules you had to learn. It hasn't changed.

I'm in Queensland now, but it's the same rule Australia-wide, as far as I know.

"When the light turns amber YOU MUST STOP, unless you are driving too fast, you have crossed the white line, stopping would cause an accident or it is too dangerous to do so" (wet road, heavy vehicle in wet etc.)...or words to that effect.

You have to know this rule to get your licence. If you don't remember, that's a fine. End of story.

People play on the "delay in lights changing" factor when going through amber and dare I say it, RED lights. It is dangerous. The rules are there for a reason.

As you get a tad older, you're not in so much of a hurry, so it's easier to take it cautiously and obey the road rules.

I was a tad "faster" in my late teens I must admit...and I paid the price with loss of licence back then. I learned and have had an excellent record since.

Key Takeaways

It’s always been a rule and I’ve been drinking 50 yrs but if u r too close to stop u can’t. The road rule should be the same in all states. It’s too confusing otherwise.

Key Takeaways

That's why you should have dashcam if you are at the light when it turns yellow it would be unsafe to stop suddenly and thereby you are going through a yellow light nothing illegal about that

Key Takeaways

It will all depend on whether they have got their quota of tickets and value of fines issued for the month.... yes that is true and they dont use the word Quota, its more like allotted something, I just cant remember the exact terminology.... but it is actual revenue raising for each state corporate government

Key Takeaways

All very good to brake on amber, but beware of the tailgater who speeds up behind you to beat the Red.

This is indeed news to me.
What does the Highway Code say about this? Is the amber light to signal a warning to slow down or quickly make through the white stop line if you are about to cross?

If this is true, then the timing of ‘near the white line’ could be subjective and depends on the amber light duration.

I was once fined when my car front wheels crossed the white line while waiting to turn right on the arrow signal but couldn’t.
The camera caught my car still waiting behind the lights but it was the front wheels crossing the white line that was the trigger.

Road rules and traffic fines are meant to deter errant drivers and road bullies, but it seems that the government is using this as an easy form of “fine” revenue with annual targets.
All Sates Governments are in desperate needs to raise money.......Anything will do.

Key Takeaways

I have had an infringement notice issued in Victoria because I started my turn just when the amber turned to red. 1.6 seconds. The fact that there was a lorry in front of me made no difference. Sometimes you are too near the lights when the amber comes on and it is unsafe to stop because somebody behind you could tail end you.
Speeding to overtake I understand is legal in Queensland but not elsewhere. What are you supposed to do when an "I'm-in-fronter" stays in the middle lane and won't budge. You should be able to overtake and then immediately pull back into the lane you were traveling in without penalty. Come to Victoria and watch the Monash freeway and then go home wondering what is happening here!!!