Outrage over cashless parking meters: High costs and privacy concerns

Parking in Sydney has always been challenging, but the latest developments have left many motorists fuming over what they see as an unfair cash grab and an unnecessary complication to their daily routines.

Introducing new cashless parking meters in some of Sydney's more affluent suburbs has sparked criticism, with residents and visitors calling the system invasive, overly complicated, and expensive.

The North Sydney Council rolled out the new system in July, requiring motorists to leap through several digital hoops before leaving their cars in peace.

Gone are the days of simply dropping a few coins into a meter.

1725597471982.png
Sydney's new parking meters require a criticised cashless system. Credit: North Sydney Council

Now, drivers are expected to download an app, create an account, and provide a raft of personal information, including their full name, phone number, car registration, and credit card details.

Every transaction using the Touch N Go boxes or the PayStay app incurs an 8.25 per cent surcharge.

This surcharge has left many questioning the system's fairness, especially considering the already high cost of living in Sydney.

The frustration is palpable, with talkback radio host Ben Fordham highlighting the confusion caused by the council's rollout.

‘The old parking meters are still there with garbage bags over the top of them and masking tape going around them,’ he said.

The backlash isn't just about the cost or the invasion of privacy; it's also about the complexity of the system and its accessibility.

Jody, a listener of Fordham's show, voiced her exasperation, pointing out how the new system is particularly challenging for older people who may need to be more tech-savvy.

‘What happened to anonymously chucking a coin in a meter and getting on with your day?’ she questioned.

‘When did it become so complicated and time-consuming just to park the car?’

The sentiment is echoed across social media, with many lamenting the loss of the simple coin-operated meter.

‘Whatever happened to just dropping a few coins in the meter? The whole system is a joke – and we’re the punchline,’

Even Jessica Keen, a Liberal candidate for North Sydney Council with four years of experience on the council and the traffic committee, admitted to struggling with the system.

‘I was on council for four years and sat on traffic committee, so I’m very across parking meters, and I was also like Jody trying to work it out,’ she said.

If someone with her background finds it difficult, what hope is there for the average driver?

One of the most significant concerns raised is the exclusion of those without mobile phones.

In a society where we're increasingly reliant on technology, there's a risk of leaving behind those who either choose not to or cannot engage with these digital systems.

In response to the uproar, a spokesperson for North Sydney Council has stated that drivers have three payment options: the traditional parking meters (where still available), the Touch N Go boxes, or the PayStay app.

However, more is needed to address the concerns about privacy, the additional costs, and the system's complexity.
Key Takeaways
  • Newly installed parking meters in Sydney now require motorists to use a cashless system that has been criticised for its invasiveness and complexity.
  • Motorists must download an app, create an account, and provide personal information, including their full name, phone number, car registration, and credit card details, to use the new system.
  • There is an 8.25 per cent surcharge on every transaction when paying to park, leading to public outcry and frustration.
  • Despite offering three payment options, The North Sydney Council faced backlash due to the new system's difficulty, especially for older people and those without mobile phones.
Have you had an experience with these new parking meters? Do you find them convenient or cumbersome? And what do you think about the additional surcharge? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Newcastle only has the mobile phone app type parking metres. They are difficult bullshit things to use. No other options such as using a debit card etc, so I just don't go into CBD of Newcastle anymore. Most people I talk to detest using the horrible things. Passing trade for business is just about dead. An absolutely stupid decision by the council of Newcastle.

A story so close to my heart. Visiting Melbourne last week to visit our new grandson, we had to pay for street parking. This is the first time we have had to do this for at least ten years. Found a park, went to the meter (pay station they call them now) and was confronted with having to download the app, enter bank detail etc etc. then saw the PayWave sign so decided to pay using Apple Pay. I consider my self to be well up on this technology so waved my phone, Face ID was used and my phone advised me that a transaction went through. Looked for a ticket/receipt but then realised that it was a ticketless machine. Looked at the display which showed 3-29pm. It was exactly 2 hours from that time. Great, parking paid for and we have 2 hours we thought. On return to the car at 3-20 found the infringement notice with a fine of $99. “Parking fee not paid”. Checked my bank account and no transaction showing. I have put a request for a review based on the above but don’t hold out much hope. No ticket, no transaction so no evidence.

So, not only are they saving thousands in wages, they add 8.25% to make more profit. What a SCAM. The government and councils are the worst scammers of all. Especially when everyone is struggling to make ends meet.

You lost all credibility when you quoted Fruitcake Fordham! Shock jocks like him are the bane of existence for intelligent people!

Reactions: Keswickian
It annoys me that in main roads / streets you have to walk to the machine to buy a ticket. While you are doing that a parking inspector can see your car and give you a parking fine.

Bout time to do away with local govt. None of them do what they were initially established to do - keep streets clean, provide water and garbage services etc. Now they want to be mini-corporations and hire for megabucks their CEO. With a levy on everything including the kitchen sink they have worn out their usefulness. Sack the lot of the b*****ds

I don’t live in Sydney nor do I drive. BUT why do we have to put our bank details into a damn parking machine ? We are always told don’t give your bank details to anyone ! Then along comes the council or government and just about anyone, and to do business with them they want your bank details. It’s bull and we wonder how scammers get all our information!

I don’t live in Sydney nor do I drive. BUT why do we have to put our bank details into a damn parking machine ? We are always told don’t give your bank details to anyone ! Then along comes the council or government and just about anyone, and to do business with them they want your bank details. It’s bull and we wonder how scammers get all our information!
An excellent point!!

Reactions: June E