Outrage escalates! Why are BIG W and Target stocking this controversial sex education book?

Sex education in Australia: it's always been a delicate subject matter, and one surrounded by controversy. The debates, disagreements, and discords arising from how we should educate young children about such complex and intricate matters have not faded away.

Instead, it has birthed issues like the recent one involving a book titled Welcome to Sex: Your no-silly-questions guide to sexuality, pleasure and figuring it out that found itself under widespread scrutiny in BIG W and Target stores recently.

The book, jointly penned by Dr Melissa Kang and Yumi Stynes, was intended to serve as an inclusive, straightforward guide to sex education for kids as young as eight.

The controversy surrounding the book had tangible implications—BIG W was forced to make the book exclusively available online after store staff bore the brunt of the customers' ire. Some have also threatened to boycott the department stores until the book is removed from sale.

Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 2.13.19 PM.png
A controversial sex education book has sparked outrage among parents for being too graphic. Credit: BIG W, Instagram/theprimod.

Chris 'Primod' Issa, a well-known podcast host, emerged as one of the prominent figures fueling public outrage. He strongly criticised the book, claiming that it was exposing young children to 'sexually explicit' and 'highly inappropriate' content, essentially 'grooming' them.

Issa openly expressed his concerns in a widely-shared video, using it as a platform to bring forth a discussion that had been simmering beneath the surface.

Despite facing a barrage of criticism, BIG W made efforts to mitigate the damage caused and refrained from completely removing the book from their catalogue.

In a statement, their spokesperson clarified, 'BIG W will continue to sell the book as part of our Parenting range.'

The book, which they defended as 'educational, age-appropriate and inclusive', will be sold exclusively online starting July 18th.

It remains unclear if Target will follow suit.

Rachael Wong, Chief Executive of Women's Forum Australia, was one of the vocal critics who expressed strong concerns about the book. She found its explicit depiction of sex and its potential availability to young children highly objectionable.

She was also disturbed by the authors' seemingly casual attitude towards the legal age of consent.

Ms Wong accused the authors of mentioning the legal age merely as a way to avoid 'getting into trouble', as she believed that the book essentially served as a 'sex manual' for children.

'It's just so, so disturbing. My friend's son, who is 11 years old, thinks that kissing is gross, and most children his age feel similarly,' she added.

'They have this natural awkwardness around sexual things, a natural aversion, which is a protective mechanism and material like this is an attempt to destroy that.'

Despite receiving negative feedback, numerous parentson social media have expressed their enthusiasm for the book and their intention to introduce it to their children.

Even educators have praised the book's 'talk-early, talk-often' approach to sex education, which starkly contrasts its critics' opinions.

Many also endorsed the authors' efforts to de-stigmatise conversations around sexuality and appreciated the attempt to cultivate an open dialogue. So while this book might not replace the 'birds and bees talk', it certainly gives parents another option.

Key Takeaways

• BIG W stores across the country have removed a controversial sex education book from their physical shelves and moved it to online sales only, following intense criticism and abuse directed at staff.
  • The book, titled Welcome to Sex: Your no-silly-questions guide to sexuality, pleasure and figuring it out, intends to educate children as young as eight about sex but has attracted nationwide attention for its discussion of mature themes.
  • Critics have called the book 'sexually explicit' and 'highly inappropriate'. Some have also threatened to boycott the department stores until the book is removed from sale.
  • Despite the negative feedback, many parents have welcomed the book and expressed their interest in introducing it to their children. They believe in early and open discussions about sex with their children.

We value your opinions on this matter, members. Do you believe this book goes too far in discussing adult topics with young children, or is it simply reflecting a more accepting approach towards sex and relationships? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
No doubt the authors consulted a group of children aged about the same as the intended audience to help them write the book. They might even have learned a thing or two that they (the authors) didn't know previously, information picked up by the kids in their fiddlings on the web. After all, put the F word in the search box on your computer and you'll be greeted with about 40 million results straight away. Plus, they'll find lots of interesting videos which help explain the subject.

I think parents need a book as a guide to teach their children .
I think too many parents don't have the talk with their children and just leave it up to teachers and playground conversation.

I believe there are certain things that you need to tell your children at different ages or stages in their lives

My talks have started , where babies come from .
At other stages I have told my kids how beautiful sex is with someone you love and for them to choose wisely with whom they chose and how they can't regret their decision .

I also taught my boys to always treat a woman with respect and never take advantage of her.
I have had many talks with my kids but at different stages but unfortunately I have seen many of my friends not having these discussions with them.

I think young people already see more sexual stuff than is in that book.

Maybe what they could have done is had it sealed in plastic so it can't be read in store.

Disgusting that the staff were abused , it's not the staff who choose what goes on shelves.

I think the internet (which parents use as a babysitter ) is more of a concern that a book

Last edited:
Sex education in Australia: it's always been a delicate subject matter, and one surrounded by controversy. The debates, disagreements, and discords arising from how we should educate young children about such complex and intricate matters have not faded away.

Instead, it has birthed issues like the recent one involving a book titled Welcome to Sex: Your no-silly-questions guide to sexuality, pleasure and figuring it out that found itself under widespread scrutiny in BIG W and Target stores recently.

The book, jointly penned by Dr Melissa Kang and Yumi Stynes, was intended to serve as an inclusive, straightforward guide to sex education for kids as young as eight.

The controversy surrounding the book had tangible implications—BIG W was forced to make the book exclusively available online after store staff bore the brunt of the customers' ire. Some have also threatened to boycott the department stores until the book is removed from sale.

View attachment 25505
A controversial sex education book has sparked outrage among parents for being too graphic. Credit: BIG W, Instagram/theprimod.

Chris 'Primod' Issa, a well-known podcast host, emerged as one of the prominent figures fueling public outrage. He strongly criticised the book, claiming that it was exposing young children to 'sexually explicit' and 'highly inappropriate' content, essentially 'grooming' them.

Issa openly expressed his concerns in a widely-shared video, using it as a platform to bring forth a discussion that had been simmering beneath the surface.

Despite facing a barrage of criticism, BIG W made efforts to mitigate the damage caused and refrained from completely removing the book from their catalogue.

In a statement, their spokesperson clarified, 'BIG W will continue to sell the book as part of our Parenting range.'

The book, which they defended as 'educational, age-appropriate and inclusive', will be sold exclusively online starting July 18th.

Rachael Wong, Chief Executive of Women's Forum Australia, was one of the vocal critics who expressed strong concerns about the book. She found its explicit depiction of sex and its potential availability to young children highly objectionable.

She was also disturbed by the authors' seemingly casual attitude towards the legal age of consent.

Ms Wong accused the authors of mentioning the legal age merely as a way to avoid 'getting into trouble', as she believed that the book essentially served as a 'sex manual' for children.

'It's just so, so disturbing. My friend's son, who is 11 years old, thinks that kissing is gross, and most children his age feel similarly,' she added.

'They have this natural awkwardness around sexual things, a natural aversion, which is a protective mechanism and material like this is an attempt to destroy that.'

Despite receiving negative feedback, numerous parentson social media have expressed their enthusiasm for the book and their intention to introduce it to their children.

Even educators have praised the book's 'talk-early, talk-often' approach to sex education, which starkly contrasts its critics' opinions.

Many also endorsed the authors' efforts to de-stigmatise conversations around sexuality and appreciated the attempt to cultivate an open dialogue. So while this book might not replace the 'birds and bees talk', it certainly gives parents another option.

Key Takeaways

• BIG W stores across the country have removed a controversial sex education book from their physical shelves and moved it to online sales only, following intense criticism and abuse directed at staff.
  • The book, titled Welcome to Sex: Your no-silly-questions guide to sexuality, pleasure and figuring it out, intends to educate children as young as eight about sex but has attracted nationwide attention for its discussion of mature themes.
  • Critics have called the book 'sexually explicit' and 'highly inappropriate'. Some have also threatened to boycott the department stores until the book is removed from sale.
  • Despite the negative feedback, many parents have welcomed the book and expressed their interest in introducing it to their children. They believe in early and open discussions about sex with their children.

We value your opinions on this matter, members. Do you believe this book goes too far in discussing adult topics with young children, or is it simply reflecting a more accepting approach towards sex and relationships? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!
If parents think that their teen has not thought about, talked about or experimented/experienced sex in some way or another they are pretty naive. Our teens need to be aware of their bodies and the implications of sharing it with someone. This book is frank and doesn’t give bullxxxx. I haven’t read it all but but from what I have I think it is okay. I have sent the outline of the book to by teenage grandchildren’s parents for their opinion and hopefully they will let them read it. A book does not instigate sex but hopefully informs them and opens up the lines to communication about sex with their parent/s.

View attachment 25505

Key Takeaways

I do wish we'd go back to letting kids be kids for an appropriate time. I have nothing against sex education for kids at the right age nut there does seem to be a push to turn them into adults before they need to be. My 14 year old grandson was telling me about the awful relationship his friend had when she was 14 (she's now 15). I didn't even know what a relationship was really meant to be until I was at least 16. I've read about kids as young as 11 dating. I think it's a sham that they can't just enjoy childhood before having to learn about the complexities of adulthood. I followed the rule of thumb to answer questions about sex honestly when my kids asked them but not to bombard them with information before they were ready for it. But everyone has the right to make decisions for their own children so I think Big W's approach is reasonable.

Sex education is like a minefield to navigate. There is too much information available to young people today. When I had sex education at the age of 13, I watched a scratchy movie that presented the subject in a very scientific way which left me none the wiser however I think it's too explicit today and we should strive to find a balance. We have to' get with the programme' (but not too much) and have you noticed the drop-down lists from which to choose your gender from? It's getting quite long! So, our kids need a bit more education and awareness but in a decent, respectful and responsible way.

Regardless of judgement and attitude to the book/s there is an can NEVER be ANY excuse for supposed “adults” abusing staff. Hopefully those immature adults seek help for their abusive traits before even thinking about breeding and influencing their innocent young ?

View attachment 25505

Key Takeaways

Why is it that woolworths always appear to be on the front foot when it comes to political issues, someone in top management is pushing this woke rubbish, why would you want BIG W selling this it is PORN and it should be banned by the authorities, goodbye BIG W and WOOLWORTHS you will not be seeing my family in your stores anymore, look what happended to BUD LITE

Why is it that woolworths always appear to be on the front foot when it comes to political issues, someone in top management is pushing this woke rubbish, why would you want BIG W selling this it is PORN and it should be banned by the authorities, goodbye BIG W and WOOLWORTHS you will not be seeing my family in your stores anymore, look what happended to BUD LITE
I feel sorry for your children if you can't differentiate between sex education and porn.

Sex education should start at home at the correct age for the information to be understood. If parents feel uncomfortable talking to their children about this then perhaps they could get some appropriate person, like their doctor, to bring up the subject with the child in an age-appropriate way.

In my opinion, putting these books out in shops where children have free access to them is putting the young in danger. They don't know what their bodies can and are expected to do by looking at the book and experimentation in such instances could lead to a 'child' becoming a parent herself before they know what has happened. It's too late once a pregnancy has occurred and abortion means taking the life of an innocent baby and if that baby is kept how will a 'baby herself' live for the rest of her life. Take also the parents of a child who, through experimentation, becomes pregnant - those parents will end up having to provide for their innocent grandchild before it's mother is capable of providing for it. Then what happens to the father of the little innocent? Will he just walk away or will his life follow the same path as his innocent girlfriend where he is expected to provide for the child.

From my perspective, I think Big W has gone a bit too far here - it could have been put out in a sealed packet where no child under 15 (at least) has access to it. And it should not be legal to sell it to under 15s without a parent being present and paying for the book knowing what their underage child is reading. Bodies are not for experimenting with they are for giving a partner love and bearing the consequences of that love if a pregnancy occurs. Children these days have access to money through their bank cards so can access these books without their parents knowing and that is so wrong.

Sex education should start at home at the correct age for the information to be understood. If parents feel uncomfortable talking to their children about this then perhaps they could get some appropriate person, like their doctor, to bring up the subject with the child in an age-appropriate way.

In my opinion, putting these books out in shops where children have free access to them is putting the young in danger. They don't know what their bodies can and are expected to do by looking at the book and experimentation in such instances could lead to a 'child' becoming a parent herself before they know what has happened. It's too late once a pregnancy has occurred and abortion means taking the life of an innocent baby and if that baby is kept how will a 'baby herself' live for the rest of her life. Take also the parents of a child who, through experimentation, becomes pregnant - those parents will end up having to provide for their innocent grandchild before it's mother is capable of providing for it. Then what happens to the father of the little innocent? Will he just walk away or will his life follow the same path as his innocent girlfriend where he is expected to provide for the child.

From my perspective, I think Big W has gone a bit too far here - it could have been put out in a sealed packet where no child under 15 (at least) has access to it. And it should not be legal to sell it to under 15s without a parent being present and paying for the book knowing what their underage child is reading. Bodies are not for experimenting with they are for giving a partner love and bearing the consequences of that love if a pregnancy occurs. Children these days have access to money through their bank cards so can access these books without their parents knowing and that is so wrong.
I beg to differ, it is usually those children who are uneducated about sex who are the ones who end up pregnant.
There is no need for unwanted pregnancies in this day and age.
Throughout history children/teenagers have experimented in sex, you can't stop it by putting your head in the sand.
If you believe that waiting until the age of 15 is appropriate, you are living in the dark ages.

I beg to differ, it is usually those children who are uneducated about sex who are the ones who end up pregnant.
There is no need for unwanted pregnancies in this day and age.
Throughout history children/teenagers have experimented in sex, you can't stop it by putting your head in the sand.
If you believe that waiting until the age of 15 is appropriate, you are living in the dark ages.
No, I'm not living in the dark ages. It is just my opinion and, if you have time to look up statistics, find out how many unwanted pregnancies are occurring and how old those people are. There are also older people who are so naive about birth control and have fallen pregnant without wanting to. Safety is the key to pregnancy - if you do not want to become pregnant then you must use the available precautions and those are not always easily available to young people. Experimentation with the joy that sex can bring is undoubted but being cautious is absolutely essential.

And, just by the way, I wonder how many of us (me included) have actually seen and read through this book - we all have our opinions but it may or may not be as bad as the original person portrayed. Let's have a look in future before we all comment.

Reactions: Leenie
No, I'm not living in the dark ages. It is just my opinion and, if you have time to look up statistics, find out how many unwanted pregnancies are occurring and how old those people are. There are also older people who are so naive about birth control and have fallen pregnant without wanting to. Safety is the key to pregnancy - if you do not want to become pregnant then you must use the available precautions and those are not always easily available to young people. Experimentation with the joy that sex can bring is undoubted but being cautious is absolutely essential.
That is exactly what I am saying, without sex education, this is what happens.
Books like this are required as there are still parents out there who do not discuss the subject with their children.
Birth control is available to all in this country but if you are not educated about these matters then you don't know. Hence the need for such books.

Regardless of judgement and attitude to the book/s there is a can NEVER be ANY excuse for supposed “adults” abusing staff. Hopefully those immature adults seek help for their abusive traits before even thinking about breeding and influencing their innocent young ?
I think it’s good that it’s been moved to on line. Those who want it can get it, those who don’t , don’t have to see it. But to ABUSE the staff - not on. Don’t shoot the messenger they are only doing their job and have nothing to do with what the stores sell.

Abusing store staff is not a solution; it's just stupid.
I haven't seen or read this particular book but kids need to be educated about sex at least from early puberty.
We bought an excellent little book for our kids when they were that age. I think it was called "Where Did I Come From?"

I think parents need a book as a guide to teach their children .
I think too many parents don't have the talk with their children and just leave it up to teachers and playground conversation.

I believe there are certain things that you need to tell your children at different ages .

My talks have started , where babies come from .
At other stages I have told my kids how beautiful sex is with someone you love and for them to choose wisely with whom they chose and how they can't regret there decision .

I also taught my boys to always treat a woman with respect and never take advantage of her.
I have had many talks with my kids but at different stages but unfortunately I have seen many of my friends not having these discussions with them.

I think young people already see more sexual stuff than is in that book.

Maybe what they could have done is had it sealed in plastic so it can't be read in store.

Disgusting that the staff were abused , it's not the staff who choose what goes on shelves.

I think the internet (which parents use as a babysitter ) is more of a concern that a book
I love your writings Suzanne so logical no ranting

Regardless of judgement and attitude to the book/s there is an can NEVER be ANY excuse for supposed “adults” abusing staff. Hopefully those immature adults seek help for their abusive traits before even thinking about breeding and influencing their innocent young ?
It’s not ok to abuse staff they are only doing their job. Take your complaints to the top.

Do you not know the difference between PORN and Sex Education . I hope and pray you never gave your child PLAYBOY and said 'well this is how it is '

Abusing store staff is not a solution; it's just stupid.
I haven't seen or read this particular book but kids need to be educated about sex at least from early puberty.
We bought an excellent little book for our kids when they were that age. I think it was called "Where Did I Come From?"
I had that same book , great one to explain where babies come