Outrage erupts among Home and Away fans over a shocking marketing fail—Here’s why they're demanding apologies!

The iconic soap opera Home and Away has long been a staple of evening television, capturing viewers' hearts with its gripping storylines and beloved characters.

However, a recent marketing campaign has sparked a wave of controversy and left many fans feeling outraged and deeply offended.

The 'Bring Eden Home' campaign, launched by Channel Seven, aimed to drum up excitement for the show's return in 2024 by delving into the mysterious disappearance of a character named Eden, the girlfriend of Cash, who was last seen in a forest under suspicious circumstances.

FB resize 179.jpg
Home and Away launched a ‘Bring Eden Home’ campaign before its 2024 return. Credit: @homeandaway/Instagram

The campaign included on-air promotions, social media posts with missing person posters, and even an 1800 number for fans to listen to Eden's final phone call.

‘After an epic cliffhanger left Cash desperately searching for his missing girlfriend, Eden, the campaign aims to emulate the true-to-life trauma and action that takes place when a person goes missing,’ the network said in a media release.

While some fans praised the campaign as 'epic' for its creative approach to audience engagement, others have slammed it as 'disrespectful' and insensitive.

The campaign's mimicry of real-life missing person cases has struck a nerve, with critics arguing that it trivialises the profound pain and suffering experienced by families of actual missing persons.

The backlash has been swift and vocal, with fans taking to social media to express their dismay. One viewer, in a statement to the media, condemned the campaign as 'disgusting' and 'dismissive' of the real-life anguish such situations cause.

'Home and Away should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely disgusting. I can't understand how this ad was even allowed to be televised by the media,' the viewer said.

The emotional plea continued, highlighting the insensitivity of the campaign: 'Put yourself in the position of someone who is every day, seven days a week, 24 hours a day, hoping to hear news about a loved one. Gross.'

Despite the outcry, the campaign has garnered significant attention, with the 1800 number receiving almost 66,000 calls in the past week alone, including over 28,000 calls within the first 24 hours of its launch.

Larissa Ozard, Seven's Director of Marketing – Brand, Product and Trade, defended the strategy, stating: ‘We're thrilled with the engagement and impact this campaign has driven so far and excited to spearhead an immersive, out-of-the-box creative campaign for Home and Away.’

‘It's in no small way thanks to some brilliant creative from Nina Kendall and execution by Marni Crutchley and team, who have been able to deliver a campaign to get the nation talking while sweating earned and owned channels,’ she continued.

As the debate continues, it's clear that the 'Bring Eden Home' campaign has left an indelible mark on the show's community. Fans call for a more thoughtful and respectful approach to marketing, honouring the emotional realities of those who have endured the heartbreak of a missing loved one.

You can watch the campaign here:

Key Takeaways
  • Home and Away fans are divided on a marketing campaign seeking a missing character, with some finding it disrespectful.
  • The 'Bring Eden Home' campaign includes on-air promotions and social media engagement, but some believe it mimics real-life tragedies inappropriately.
  • A viewer expressed that the campaign is offensive to those experiencing actual missing
    person cases, calling it 'disgusting' and 'dismissive'.
  • Channel Seven stands by its campaign, praising its creativity and the conversation it has sparked amongst viewers.

What’s your take on Home and Away’s campaign, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
The iconic soap opera Home and Away has long been a staple of evening television, capturing viewers' hearts with its gripping storylines and beloved characters.

However, a recent marketing campaign has sparked a wave of controversy and left many fans feeling outraged and deeply offended.

The 'Bring Eden Home' campaign, launched by Channel Seven, aimed to drum up excitement for the show's return in 2024 by delving into the mysterious disappearance of a character named Eden, the girlfriend of Cash, who was last seen in a forest under suspicious circumstances.

View attachment 37832
Home and Away launched a ‘Bring Eden Home’ campaign before its 2024 return. Credit: @homeandaway/Instagram

The campaign included on-air promotions, social media posts with missing person posters, and even an 1800 number for fans to listen to Eden's final phone call.

‘After an epic cliffhanger left Cash desperately searching for his missing girlfriend, Eden, the campaign aims to emulate the true-to-life trauma and action that takes place when a person goes missing,’ the network said in a media release.

While some fans praised the campaign as 'epic' for its creative approach to audience engagement, others have slammed it as 'disrespectful' and insensitive.

The campaign's mimicry of real-life missing person cases has struck a nerve, with critics arguing that it trivialises the profound pain and suffering experienced by families of actual missing persons.

The backlash has been swift and vocal, with fans taking to social media to express their dismay. One viewer, in a statement to the media, condemned the campaign as 'disgusting' and 'dismissive' of the real-life anguish such situations cause.

'Home and Away should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely disgusting. I can't understand how this ad was even allowed to be televised by the media,' the viewer said.

The emotional plea continued, highlighting the insensitivity of the campaign: 'Put yourself in the position of someone who is every day, seven days a week, 24 hours a day, hoping to hear news about a loved one. Gross.'

Despite the outcry, the campaign has garnered significant attention, with the 1800 number receiving almost 66,000 calls in the past week alone, including over 28,000 calls within the first 24 hours of its launch.

Larissa Ozard, Seven's Director of Marketing – Brand, Product and Trade, defended the strategy, stating: ‘We're thrilled with the engagement and impact this campaign has driven so far and excited to spearhead an immersive, out-of-the-box creative campaign for Home and Away.’

‘It's in no small way thanks to some brilliant creative from Nina Kendall and execution by Marni Crutchley and team, who have been able to deliver a campaign to get the nation talking while sweating earned and owned channels,’ she continued.

As the debate continues, it's clear that the 'Bring Eden Home' campaign has left an indelible mark on the show's community. Fans call for a more thoughtful and respectful approach to marketing, honouring the emotional realities of those who have endured the heartbreak of a missing loved one.

Key Takeaways

• Home and Away fans are divided on a marketing campaign seeking a missing character, with some finding it disrespectful.
  • The 'Bring Eden Home' campaign includes on-air promotions and social media engagement, but some believe it mimics real-life tragedies inappropriately.
  • A viewer expressed that the campaign is offensive to those experiencing actual missing
  • Channel Seven stands by its campaign, praising its creativity and the conversation it has sparked amongst viewers.

What’s your take on Home and Away’s campaign, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I don't watch the garbage show, teaching young people how to be manipulative and think it's normal, but even I was offended when I realised it wasn't really someone missing in real life, disgraceful behaviour by any standard of TV.

Reactions: marni
Oh for heaven's sake, the offended brigade are at it again, everyone is offended about something, usually nothing.
It's a show, everyone knows that.
I am not trivializing the trauma of real life people in this situation,.but you only have to watch the news every day to see these things and worse.
It is just as bad for someone who has lost a loved one due to domestic violence, car accident etc Do these offended people think this shouldn't be shown, in case people get upset.
AMaybe go and find something really offensive to get offended about.

Reactions: Lotty and Wendy
It is very annoying to see the ads every night and more than once. I am sick of it already

Reactions: marni
No matter what you do, there will always be people who are for or against it. I do not watch H & A but thought that campaign was clever!!

I'll put my hand up. I watch Home & Away and as many other Ozzie shows I can.
We produce good TV. Far better than the US production line sitcoms.
My first thought when I saw the free Aden campaign was, smart marketing. Showing more than a replay of the cliff hanger was a way of keeping the series outcome fresh in folks minds. Also, it gives the network an idea of how many are interested enough to make the call. After all, the life or death of a show is usually about numbers.
I did not make the free Aden call, but I do appreciate the reason for the campaign. In the end, it comes down to a choice. Do I want to respond, or not. Simple.

View attachment 37832

Key Takeaways

Really???? You're a FOOL if you fall for this! It is fake - it's from a TV show for F's sake! The people are not real!!! Yes it looks like it could be real BUT IT ISN'T!!! It's marketing! if it was a email it would be SPAM. If it wasn't a 1800 number i'd say the only winners are ch 7 and the phone companies.
Plus if you listened to the end of the episode for this year's finale then you probably heard the call anyway. I don't know i didn't fall for the trap of ringing the stupid number.

Also i think i figured out how they have phones ring on the show - they have 1800 numbers so they don't have to pay for calls or at least prepaid numbers!

• Love
Reactions: Robbo3006 and marni
I'll put my hand up. I watch Home & Away and as many other Ozzie shows I can.
We produce good TV. Far better than the US production line sitcoms.
My first thought when I saw the free Aden campaign was, smart marketing. Showing more than a replay of the cliff hanger was a way of keeping the series outcome fresh in folks minds. Also, it gives the network an idea of how many are interested enough to make the call. After all, the life or death of a show is usually about numbers.
I did not make the free Aden call, but I do appreciate the reason for the campaign. In the end, it comes down to a choice. Do I want to respond, or not. Simple.
It is interesting that there is always a cliff hanger at the e nd of season. Its one way they can make people renew their contracts at the producer's behest. If you do not sign etc. we will kill you off. The campaign is offensive on so many levels

Really???? You're a FOOL if you fall for this! It is fake - it's from a TV show for F's sake! The people are not real!!! Yes it looks like it could be real BUT IT ISN'T!!! It's marketing! if it was a email it would be SPAM. If it wasn't a 1800 number i'd say the only winners are ch 7 and the phone companies.
Plus if you listened to the end of the episode for this year's finale then you probably heard the call anyway. I don't know i didn't fall for the trap of ringing the stupid number.

Also i think i figured out how they have phones ring on the show - they have 1800 numbers so they don't have to pay for calls or at least prepaid numbers!
If you don't watch the fukn shit show, you don't know it's a fake ad.