Outrage ensues as Mary Poppins gets shocking new rating: ‘Absolutely crazy’

In a move that has left many fans bewildered, the beloved 1964 Disney classic Mary Poppins has been reclassified by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC).

This decision, driven by concerns over the use of what is now considered discriminatory language, has sparked a wave of fury and debate over the intersection of cultural sensitivity and historical context in classic films.

Originally, Mary Poppins was released with a U (Universal) rating, indicating that it contained no material likely to offend or harm.

However, last week, BBFC decided to upgrade the film to a PG (Parental Guidance) rating.

GHRhdy0W8AA2deX.jpg
Mary Poppins (1964) was reclassified to PG by BBFC. Image source: @Snooper_Scope/X (Twitter)

The decision was made after the BBFC analysed a scene involving Julie Andrews and Reginald Owen's character, Admiral Boom.

The scene in question involves the use of the term 'Hottentots', a term now considered racially offensive. Historically, Europeans used the term to refer to the Khoekhoe, a group of nomadic herders in South Africa.

In the scene, Admiral Boom uses the term twice. Initially, he asks the Banks children if they are 'going to fight the Hottentots' while hanging from a rooftop in a boat.

Later, when a group of chimney sweepers with soot-blackened faces dance on the roof, the Admiral exclaims, 'We're being attacked by Hottentots,' and proceeds to shoot fireworks at them.

The BBFC took into account the historical context of the film, set in early 20th-century London, but concluded that the language used exceeded the boundaries of a U rating.

They stated, 'We understand from our racism and discrimination research…that a key concern for…parents is the potential to expose children to discriminatory language or behaviour which they may find distressing or repeat without realising the potential offence.'

‘Content with immediate and clear condemnation is more likely to receive a lower rating,’ they added.

The reclassification has been met with a storm of disapproval, with broadcaster Piers Morgan leading the charge.

'Are there no depths the woke lunatics won't plunge to suck the joy out of our lives?' he lamented on social media.

Another fan expressed their frustration, saying, 'Mary Poppins [is] just about the most family-friendly film you could ever watch has had its rating changed from U to PG. This is absolutely crazy; it's another example of political correctness gone mad!'

Other viewers were left bewildered by the change. A person posted on social media: ‘I saw Mary Poppins when it came out in theatres, and have seen it dozens of times since. I can honestly say I don’t recall hearing that in the movie.’

‘No child alive would have any context for that term. Most adults as well for that matter,’ another said.

Meanwhile, some were in favour of the new rating. As one social media user put it, ‘Parental Guidance, child may learn a term & say it in school. Makes sense to me. It's a rating to inform people, not an edit to protect people.’

‘If otherwise well-meaning work contains incidentally unfortunate cultural idioms then I suppose the right thing to do is to make sure that anyone watching is aware of the context and it's acknowledged,’ a second person pointed out.

It is understood that the film has been reclassified and will be re-released next month in select UK cinemas to celebrate its 60th anniversary.

You can watch The Project’s coverage of the story here:

Source: The Project/Youtube​

Key Takeaways
  • The classification of the Disney classic Mary Poppins has been raised due to concerns over 'discriminatory language' in the film.
  • The term 'Hottentots', used in the film, is now considered racially offensive and has contributed to the film being given a PG rating.
  • Broadcaster Piers Morgan and others have expressed strong disapproval of the change, while others see merit in the new rating.
  • The British Board of Film Classification has stated that the potential for children to encounter discriminatory language and behaviour is a key concern for parents.

What are your thoughts on this new rating, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Boo hoo! Only took the BBFC sixty years to come up with this politically correct rhubarb.

What's next? The banning of Looney Toons for gratuitous violence? Did Yosemite Sam suffer from PTSD because The Roadrunner blew him up countless times?

Clowns!
I'm with you Veggie. I am so fed up with this stupidity Where on earth do these idiots get their ideas? There wouldn't be half a brain amongst the lot of them. Next will be Sound Of Music being killed because people died in WW11. As I've said before...AI is supposed to be Artificial Intel For me it used to be artificial insemination (for cows). They need some of that now. Inseminate them with real brains that can actually think, feel and do things that NORMAL people do,

I’ve watched Mary Poppins many times and haven’t realised any references or slightly “offensive“ terms may have been used. What’s wrong with discussing with children how various words were used to describe certain groups of people but now we don’t say these things because it can be upsetting. It can be a good learning curve if they even pick it up. You can’t whitewash history, after all it’s how we learn. Leave Mary Poppins alone!

I think all this changing of history and beloved books and film's is getting way out of hand. You cannot change history, right or wrong.
Just get on with living what you consider a better life.

From Wikipedia "In the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, the Cowardly Lion, blustering about his lack of courage, says: "What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the 'ape' in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?" Other cast members reply: "Courage."" Guess the next film to be re-classified.