Outrage ensues as Coles quietly cancels popular service in some local stores!

Furious shoppers have taken to social media to express their feelings of disgust and outrage at Coles Supermarkets after learning that some of their stores had quietly dropped a free service.

Confirmation that the Coles 'free fruit for kids' program had been cancelled came from a spokesperson from the grocery superstore, who stated that the service 'is not available at every Coles', and 'is at the discretion of every store'.

This revelation was particularly upsetting to one Coles shopper and mum of a toddler, who shared her experience on social media. She said that she had visited two stores close to her home and had been told on each occasion that the supermarket chain was no longer offering free fruit for kids.

Watching her child eat a banana she had purchased from the store while shopping, the mum said in her video: 'I can't believe [Coles] have stopped doing free fruit for kids in store. Why is no one talking about this? I'm boycotting Coles'.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 104629.png
A local shopper was disappointed that some Coles Supermarkets no longer offer ‘free fruit for kids’. Image: TikTok / @getsocialwithsammi

Perhaps even more distressing to this particular shopper was that Coles and Woolworths realised staggering profits last year.

‘Coles have also made a statement that last year they made a profit after tax of $1.1 billion in Australia,’ she said.

‘Woolworths, on the other hand, have released a statement that they have donated 100 million pieces of fruit in the last eight years.’

‘Sorry, let’s do the math. Say it’s all bananas—72 cents a banana on 100 million is $72 million.’

‘That’s a lot of bananas, but we all know they’re not paying retail prices. So yes, still a huge profit in my opinion.’

Social media users were quick to comment about the free fruit program being still available in some stores, with one shopper saying, 'My local in Queensland still has it'. Another commented, 'Mine still does it'. One more user said, 'Our Coles workers just tell us to take one piece from the shelves. Most workers in my area understand that food keeps children quiet while shopping.'

The initiative of 'free fruit for kids' is not new when it comes to Australian supermarkets. Major supermarket chains introduced this program in the mid-2010s to support healthy eating and provide a little gift for the youngest of their clientele.

Coles, for one, launched their program around 2015, and it was hailed by parents as a true game-changer. The idea was simple, yet effective. Children could enjoy a piece of free fruit from designated baskets as their parents shopped. The move was not only a boon to parents dealing with busy toddlers and restless children and helped promote healthy eating habits.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 112623.png
The shopper also raised Coles’ high profits that made her frustrated with the cancellation of the ‘free fruit for kids’ service. Image: TikTok / @getsocialwithsammi

In addition to helping parents maintain shopping sanity, the complimentary healthy snack initiative also aimed to combat the mounting childhood obesity epidemic, which sees roughly one in four Australian children aged 2-17 overweight or obese, according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The free fruit offering was one way Coles demonstrated a commitment to community health and well-being. The choice of offering fruit was also a strategic one, helping shift the focus towards good nutrition and shifting away from hazardous processed foods. Fruits like bananas, apples, and pears–high in essential vitamins and nutrients–were commonly seen in these baskets, providing a fresh, healthy pick-me-up for little ones mid shop.

The cancellation of such an effective and beloved program by Coles at some stores has indeed shocked some health-conscious Australian parents. For them, it is a disappointing outcome, especially considering the impact it has on creating a healthier shopping environment for families and fostering good nutrition habits from an early age.

Source: Image: TikTok /@getsocialwithsammi

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper is 'boycotting' the supermarket after discovering it no longer offers the 'free fruit for kids' service at two local stores.
  • A Coles spokesperson confirmed that the free fruit initiative is not available at every store and is at the discretion of individual stores.
  • The shopper claimed that during a recent visit to Coles, she had to 'pay for the skin' after giving her toddler a banana to eat while they shopped.
So, members: Do you think Coles stores should make it a point to have this free service available? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Furious shoppers have taken to social media to express their feelings of disgust and outrage at Coles Supermarkets after learning that some of their stores had quietly dropped a free service.

Confirmation that the Coles 'free fruit for kids' program had been cancelled came from a spokesperson from the grocery superstore, who stated that the service 'is not available at every Coles', and 'is at the discretion of every store'.

This revelation was particularly upsetting to one Coles shopper and mum of a toddler, who shared her experience on social media. She said that she had visited two stores close to her home and had been told on each occasion that the supermarket chain was no longer offering free fruit for kids.

Watching her child eat a banana she had purchased from the store while shopping, the mum said in her video: 'I can't believe [Coles] have stopped doing free fruit for kids in store. Why is no one talking about this? I'm boycotting Coles'.

View attachment 35335
A local shopper was disappointed that some Coles Supermarkets no longer offer ‘free fruit for kids’. Image: TikTok / @getsocialwithsammi

Perhaps even more distressing to this particular shopper was that Coles and Woolworths realised staggering profits last year.

‘Coles have also made a statement that last year they made a profit after tax of $1.1 billion in Australia,’ she said.

‘Woolworths, on the other hand, have released a statement that they have donated 100 million pieces of fruit in the last eight years.’

‘Sorry, let’s do the math. Say it’s all bananas—72 cents a banana on 100 million is $72 million.’

‘That’s a lot of bananas, but we all know they’re not paying retail prices. So yes, still a huge profit in my opinion.’

Social media users were quick to comment about the free fruit program being still available in some stores, with one shopper saying, 'My local in Queensland still has it'. Another commented, 'Mine still does it'. One more user said, 'Our Coles workers just tell us to take one piece from the shelves. Most workers in my area understand that food keeps children quiet while shopping.'

The initiative of 'free fruit for kids' is not new when it comes to Australian supermarkets. Major supermarket chains introduced this program in the mid-2010s to support healthy eating and provide a little gift for the youngest of their clientele.

Coles, for one, launched their program around 2015, and it was hailed by parents as a true game-changer. The idea was simple, yet effective. Children could enjoy a piece of free fruit from designated baskets as their parents shopped. The move was not only a boon to parents dealing with busy toddlers and restless children and helped promote healthy eating habits.

View attachment 35336
The shopper also raised Coles’ high profits that made her frustrated with the cancellation of the ‘free fruit for kids’ service. Image: TikTok / @getsocialwithsammi

In addition to helping parents maintain shopping sanity, the complimentary healthy snack initiative also aimed to combat the mounting childhood obesity epidemic, which sees roughly one in four Australian children aged 2-17 overweight or obese, according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The free fruit offering was one way Coles demonstrated a commitment to community health and well-being. The choice of offering fruit was also a strategic one, helping shift the focus towards good nutrition and shifting away from hazardous processed foods. Fruits like bananas, apples, and pears–high in essential vitamins and nutrients–were commonly seen in these baskets, providing a fresh, healthy pick-me-up for little ones mid shop.

The cancellation of such an effective and beloved program by Coles at some stores has indeed shocked some health-conscious Australian parents. For them, it is a disappointing outcome, especially considering the impact it has on creating a healthier shopping environment for families and fostering good nutrition habits from an early age.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper is 'boycotting' the supermarket after discovering it no longer offers the 'free fruit for kids' service at two local stores.
  • A Coles spokesperson confirmed that the free fruit initiative is not available at every store and is at the discretion of individual stores.
  • The shopper claimed that during a recent visit to Coles, she had to 'pay for the skin' after giving her toddler a banana to eat while they shopped.
So, members: Do you think Coles stores should make it a point to have this free service available? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I think it would be better if the fruit was given out at the checkout because I can't tell you how many adults without kids I've seen help themselves.

I think it would be better if the fruit was given out at the checkout because I can't tell you how many adults without kids I've seen help themselves.
And that is the problem - we have had dicussions on this forum before regarding adults taking the fruit. Whilst some people continue to flaunt rules etc, things will be changed to 'protect' the owners.

Telling a customer to "just take something from the shelves" is a sure sign that more thievery will take place and it teaches a child that it's okay to "just" take something from the shelf and eat it. Maybe the child likes grapes better so will take them instead, not knowing that apples and bananas are (and I'm not sure if they are) the only free fruits in the shops.

View attachment 35335

View attachment 35336

Key Takeaways

for goodness sake over a free banana. get real.

View attachment 35335

View attachment 35336

Key Takeaways

Coles wouldnt be bareing the cost of the free fruit I bet they force the franchisee / store to ... any ways it becomes a tax deduction

NO there are two stories to this stupid idea of free food. I complained to Coles about this due to some "darling " just dropping a piece of Banana on the floor on which I slipped. I could not see the piece as it was just around the end of an aisle. Luckily for me no major damage was done / Had it been a person who had hip problems they would have been in strife because the way I went down was very uncomfortable. As for the children being offered this free fruit I am also against the idea of eating in the store. When my first child was shopping with me approx 18 months old I told him I would buy him a Freddo frog or cub bar but it could not be eaten in the car and only when we got home. We lived out of town. He then knew the rules so I had no tantrums like so many children today seem to have. I think as parents we have to have rules so that they learn respect

Sorry but I live in Australia where the study of numbers and the associated operations and calculations is called MATHEMATICS, not mathematic. The proliferation of the Yankification of the English language is sickening. The sooner the US is swallowed by its own backside, the better.

NO there are two stories to this stupid idea of free food. I complained to Coles about this due to some "darling " just dropping a piece of Banana on the floor on which I slipped. I could not see the piece as it was just around the end of an aisle. Luckily for me no major damage was done / Had it been a person who had hip problems they would have been in strife because the way I went down was very uncomfortable. As for the children being offered this free fruit I am also against the idea of eating in the store. When my first child was shopping with me approx 18 months old I told him I would buy him a Freddo frog or cub bar but it could not be eaten in the car and only when we got home. We lived out of town. He then knew the rules so I had no tantrums like so many children today seem to have. I think as parents we have to have rules so that they learn respect
Well, my little grandson loves a piece of fruit when I take him shopping, sometimes there is fruit to be had, sometimes not, WHO CARES? People need to get out into the big wide world and stop getting worked up over absolute rubbish.

I wouldn't give my kid the fruit because it has bee handled by everyone looking for the best one. How many people wash their hand after usinf the toilet. GROSS

View attachment 35335

View attachment 35336

Key Takeaways

Free fruit for kids? try half the time you see the adults with them having the fruit too! It's wrong when a few abuse a system and everyone pays.
It seems to have disappeared from my local Coles and last friday the local woollies stand was empty and people were complaining.

Coles wouldnt be bareing the cost of the free fruit I bet they force the franchisee / store to ... any ways it becomes a tax deduction
Shouldn’t that be ‘bearing’?

And we we need to stop using Americanisms in the Australian language. Our ways are what make Australia unique in so many ways. Why are we following other countries?

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Let this self-entitled whinger boycott Coles then. No supermarket is obliged to give you free fruit and she should in fact be grateful that it was formerly happening.

I wouldn't give my kid the fruit because it has bee handled by everyone looking for the best one. How many people wash their hand after usinf the toilet. GROSS
yep only bananas as its packaged so nicely