Outrage among fast food lovers after KFC makes a shocking ‘Zero Sugar’ switch

KFC lovers, we have news that may either delight you or leave you feeling rather sour.

KFC Australia has changed the beverages it has on offer and axed a popular soft drink, and it has caused quite a stir among its customers.

NSW food critic and former food scientist Russell 'Russ' Stuart – who goes by the moniker Russell Eats on social media – revealed that KFC Australia's previously offered Sunkist has vanished from their drink selection.

In its place? Sunkist’s Zero Sugar counterpart.

soda1.jpg
A food critic spread the news on social media. Credit: Breakingpic/Pexels

Reports first surfaced on social media when the food reviewer revealed his shock at the sudden switch.

‘The bad news, normal Sunkist is gone,’ he said in a clip he uploaded online.

‘It has been replaced with Sunkist No Sugar.’

With his video viewed by an incredible 180,000 people, it wasn’t long before the news spread.

He called out KFC for their seemingly drastic decision and claimed that the apple juice – another beloved KFC beverage – had been replaced with sparkling water.

KFC Australia officially confirmed the changes in a statement to reporters, saying: 'We’re always looking for new ways to innovate our offerings, and this includes the drinks menu. We’ve recently made changes that will see Sunkist being replaced with Sunkist Sugar-Free, removing apple juice and introducing sparkling water.’

‘We’re excited to introduce these changes, and we hope our customers are too.'

soda2.jpg
The switch sparked outrage, as many argued the chain should offer both options. Credit: RussEats/TikTok

But could KFC be opting for a healthier menu? Russ hints at rumours that the chain may be considering replacing all their sugary soft drinks with sugar-free versions.

‘There are rumours they aim to replace all the drinks with zero sugar versions. But if you’re at KFC, why would you want zero sugar?’ He inquired.

‘It’s absolutely beyond me. Unless you’re diabetic, then I understand.’

However, many fast food patrons took to social media to share their opinions on the switch. Some express their dismay over the drink switch.

‘Argh, why can’t they just have both Sunkist and Zero Sugar Sunkist,’ one internet user commented.

‘Zero Sugar stinks,’ another wrote.

While someone else shared: ‘I got KFC yesterday and was given Zero Sugar…I gave it back and said I like sugar and got solo instead. So sad, Sunkist is sugar-free now.’

‘The Sunkist news is a DAGGER to the heart,’ one replied, while one joked that having a Zero Sugar Sunkist option helps ‘balance’ out the junk food.

‘I’ll take a Zinger Burger drenched in grease, please, but I’m watching my figure, so make the soft drink a diet,’ one quipped.

You can watch Russ’s video below:

On the other hand, some customers welcome this change, claiming that it's about time that healthier alternatives appear on the menu.

Supporters of the new drink option include those who may be diabetic or simply prefer to limit their sugar intake.

One customer enthusiastically shared their opinion on the matter: 'The Zero Sugar Sunkist is actually so good. So much better than regular.'

‘Zero Sugar Solo is the only decent tasting no sugar soft drink there is,’ another social media user pointed out.

‘As a diabetic who worked with a dietician to nail my sugar levels (had a monitor), I can confirm that the artificial sweetener they put in this is zero,’ one more replied.

‘Take the Sunkist as a win. It will help these fast food companies from having to change their recipes to healthier ones for longer,’ someone else stated.

Fast food chains have been adding zero-sugar alternatives to their popular beverages and offering sugar-free options as well.

Earlier this year, McDonald’s Australia announced that Diet Coke would no longer be available in restaurants nationwide. Instead, the fast food giant would switch to selling other low-to-no-sugar beverages.

‘At McDonald’s, we are committed to providing great-tasting, great-value food and drinks our customers know and love. We regularly review and evolve our menu to meet changing consumer tastes and preferences,’ a spokesperson shared at the time. However, this move also angered some of the chain’s loyal customers.

You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • KFC Australia has quietly removed Sunkist from its menus, replacing it with a Zero Sugar version, leaving many fans displeased.
  • The change was discovered by food reviewer Russell 'Russ' Stuart, who also noted that apple juice had been replaced with sparkling water.
  • In a statement, a KFC spokeswoman explained the changes were made to innovate the drinks menu and introduce new options for customers.
  • Stuart's video discussing these changes has been viewed over 165,000 times and has generated mixed reactions among fans.
How do you feel about this sugary shake-up? Are you all for sugar-free drink options, or should fast food chains offer a balance of both? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Rather ironic isn't it. I totally get the diabetic thing but really diabetic's should be making much better choices than KFC 🍗 😅 my diabetic daughter when she let's her hair down for takeaway opts for grilled fish 🐟 😋 and salad 🥗 maybe a few chippies if she's feeling like letting her hair down lol I'm just saying there are easier meals to be made at home which are quicker, cheaper & tastier so you don't have to worry about your softdrink being hijacked to no sugar 😉 😜 😀 😄 😆 😅

KFC lovers, we have news that may either delight you or leave you feeling rather sour.

KFC Australia has changed the beverages it has on offer and axed a popular soft drink, and it has caused quite a stir among its customers.

NSW food critic and former food scientist Russell 'Russ' Stuart – who goes by the moniker Russell Eats on social media – revealed that KFC Australia's previously offered Sunkist has vanished from their drink selection.

View attachment 20196

Reports first surfaced on social media when the food reviewer revealed his shock at the sudden switch.

With his video viewed by an incredible 180,000 people, it wasn’t long before the news spread.

He called out KFC for their seemingly drastic decision and claimed that the apple juice – another beloved KFC beverage – had been replaced with sparkling water.

KFC Australia officially confirmed the changes in a statement to reporters, saying: 'We’re always looking for new ways to innovate our offerings, and this includes the drinks menu. We’ve recently made changes that will see Sunkist being replaced with Sunkist Sugar-Free, removing apple juice and introducing sparkling water.’

View attachment 20197
The switch sparked outrage, as many argued the chain should offer both options. Credit: RussEats/TikTok

But could KFC be opting for a healthier menu? Russ hints at rumours that the chain may be considering replacing all their sugary soft drinks with sugar-free versions.

‘There are rumours they aim to replace all the drinks with zero sugar versions. But if you’re at KFC, why would you want zero sugar?’ He inquired.

However, many fast food patrons took to social media to share their opinions on the switch. Some express their dismay over the drink switch.

‘Argh, why can’t they just have both Sunkist and Zero Sugar Sunkist,’ one internet user commented.

While someone else shared: ‘I got KFC yesterday and was given Zero Sugar…I gave it back and said I like sugar and got solo instead. So sad, Sunkist is sugar-free now.’

‘The Sunkist news is a DAGGER to the heart,’ one replied, while one joked that having a Zero Sugar Sunkist option helps ‘balance’ out the junk food.

‘I’ll take a Zinger Burger drenched in grease, please, but I’m watching my figure, so make the soft drink a diet,’ one quipped.

On the other hand, some customers welcome this change, claiming that it's about time that healthier alternatives appear on the menu.

Supporters of the new drink option include those who may be diabetic or simply prefer to limit their sugar intake.

One customer enthusiastically shared their opinion on the matter: 'The Zero Sugar Sunkist is actually so good. So much better than regular.'

‘Zero Sugar Solo is the only decent tasting no sugar soft drink there is,’ another social media user pointed out.

‘As a diabetic who worked with a dietician to nail my sugar levels (had a monitor), I can confirm that the artificial sweetener they put in this is zero,’ one more replied.

‘Take the Sunkist as a win. It will help these fast food companies from having to change their recipes to healthier ones for longer,’ someone else stated.

Fast food chains have been adding zero-sugar alternatives to their popular beverages and offering sugar-free options as well.

Earlier this year, McDonald’s Australia announced that Diet Coke would no longer be available in restaurants nationwide. Instead, the fast food giant would switch to selling other low-to-no-sugar beverages.

‘At McDonald’s, we are committed to providing great-tasting, great-value food and drinks our customers know and love. We regularly review and evolve our menu to meet changing consumer tastes and preferences,’ a spokesperson shared at the time. However, this move also angered some of the chain’s loyal customers.

Key Takeaways

• KFC Australia has quietly removed Sunkist from its menus, replacing it with a Zero Sugar version, leaving many fans displeased.
  • The change was discovered by food reviewer Russell 'Russ' Stuart, who also noted that apple juice had been replaced with sparkling water.
  • In a statement, a KFC spokeswoman explained the changes were made to innovate the drinks menu and introduce new options for customers.
  • Stuart's video discussing these changes has been viewed over 165,000 times and has generated mixed reactions among fans.
How do you feel about this sugary shake-up? Are you all for sugar-free drink options, or should fast food chains offer a balance of both? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

The zero sugar varieties actually taste nicer than the regular ones.

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

The advent of zero sugar in all drinks is a step in the right direction in terms of the overall sugar consumption by the population. To become upset about the fact that it's not fair on the percentage of the population who may present as not being diabetic is absurd. It has nothing to do with being diabetic, prediabetic or for that matter having regular blood sugar levels. Sugar is bad on all levels and the sooner we drastically reduce or eliminate it from all foods the better. However, the only problem with replacing these drinks with artificial sweeteners is that in some instances it mimics or causes the body to respond metabolically as does sugar. In other words, the brain still thinks its sugar and there is an increase in insulin production within the body. If you really need a little sweetener, then try using more organic options such as stevia or monk fruit. These do not spike insulin.

The advent of zero sugar in all drinks is a step in the right direction in terms of the overall sugar consumption by the population. To become upset about the fact that it's not fair on the percentage of the population who may present as not being diabetic is absurd. It has nothing to do with being diabetic, prediabetic or for that matter having regular blood sugar levels. Sugar is bad on all levels and the sooner we drastically reduce or eliminate it from all foods the better. However, the only problem with replacing these drinks with artificial sweeteners is that in some instances it mimics or causes the body to respond metabolically as does sugar. In other words, the brain still thinks its sugar and there is an increase in insulin production within the body. If you really need a little sweetener, then try using more organic options such as stevia or monk fruit. These do not spike insulin.
You are very welcome to drink your chemically sweetened soft drinks but for me, I want my soft drink the way I have known it since I was a kid (& that's many decades ago). Admittedly when I was a kid soft drinks were a luxury & not something to drink every day. I enjoy a sweet drink occasionally, esp when I'm out for a day & have to buy some lunch.
Apart from that, I never buy KFC junk food. I think it's just about the most horrible there is on the market.

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

In the 'per serving' figure of 250ml written on a bottle. The carbohydrate figure of 29g is sugar.

This is the equivalent of about 7 teaspoons of sugar in every drink. 😳 If the people drinking this also have tea/coffee, surely they wouldn't put that amount of sugar in those drinks as well? Is this what some people want to moan about compared to having no sugar in a drink? 🤔

The zero sugar varieties actually taste nicer than the regular ones.
I have to agree when really cold the sunkist zero tastes great-infact i can't really taste the difference from the one with sugar - and those small silver cans of zero coke taste good when really cold and you just feel like a quick fizzy drink - not too often - only bought when on special and not bought often - trying to drink more water!

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

Not worried about the change in drinks order their new crispy fried chicken each piece is the size of a one mouthful large nugget ripoff Royale. Glad a top class fast food chain is looking after our health. No realistic size food no using personal choice. What a joke.

You are very welcome to drink your chemically sweetened soft drinks but for me, I want my soft drink the way I have known it since I was a kid (& that's many decades ago). Admittedly when I was a kid soft drinks were a luxury & not something to drink every day. I enjoy a sweet drink occasionally, esp when I'm out for a day & have to buy some lunch.
Apart from that, I never buy KFC junk food. I think it's just about the most horrible there is on the market.
Yes, I totally agree KFC is junk food and I never eat it as well. I think you may have misunderstood me, when you say chemically sweetened. By referring to stevia or monk fruit I am not referring to a chemical sweetener, I am referring to an organic compound which does not spike insulin and is natural and plant based. As you say, having the occasional soft drink is not going to cause you to become a diabetic, my main concern is for the adults that overindulge and for the children who are under their parents' guidance and have not been taught about moderation. Modern day processed and fast foods only adds to that dilemma.

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

If KFC is going to zero sugar for a healthier diet then they would be out of business because they sell FRIED chicken and chips. Where the hell, these people that work for the company can see sense in that.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
I have to agree when really cold the sunkist zero tastes great-infact i can't really taste the difference from the one with sugar - and those small silver cans of zero coke taste good when really cold and you just feel like a quick fizzy drink - not too often - only bought when on special and not bought often - trying to drink more water!
Personally, I enjoy Mineral Water with a slice of Lemon. Not expensive, no sugar and the Lemon from my tree.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
I reckon that KFC should do everything it can to increase the fat content of its products and only serve drinks with the original sugar content. It seems that people will not be happy until they reverse time by 20 years, Then after a few years, they will probably all be complaining about the cost of their diabetes medication just as I do. Give 'em what they want, they are already 90% there by simply buying the great tasting chicken products from fast food outlets.

Sparkling water should be much cheaper, this is a profiteering in its ugliest form. The next thing for KFC would be charging for a tap water :(

Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

This is the same as drinkers who order Bourbon & Diet Coke. If you are eating a fat fried, fat loaded, chunk of chook, then why worry about sugar free. Go with that which tastes better. GO SUGAR.

The fact of the matter is, eat foods that are very low in carbs, have no sugar and contain goods fats. Remember fat is not the enemy unless it's a bad fat such as trans fats and vegetable oils, or it's accompanied by sugar and or high carbs. You won't find this type of good food at fast food outlets, so best to avoid them, however if you must then make it the exception rather than the rule. All this type of information, clinical studies and credible advice is available everywhere. It all depends on whether you want to look for it.

I reckon that KFC should do everything it can to increase the fat content of its products and only serve drinks with the original sugar content. It seems that people will not be happy until they reverse time by 20 years, Then after a few years, they will probably all be complaining about the cost of their diabetes medication just as I do. Give 'em what they want, they are already 90% there by simply buying the great tasting chicken products from fast food outlets.
And that sounds even better! If i buy something fizzy it is normally a carton of sparkling water which has a dash of fruit juice in it they say-when on special!

Last edited:

View attachment 20196

View attachment 20197

Key Takeaways

Not an issue for me LOL I'm a vegetarian and never touch soft drinks with their dangerous chemicals.
A great alternative if one wants a fizzy drink is the Mt.Franklin cans with a hint of flavour, zero sugar! that's what these fast food places should be selling.

Gave up KFC about 40 years ago after seeing the fatty oil running out of the chicken. As for cool drinks, don't drink these at home either due to the sugar.