featherfour

Apr 14, 2022
Orchid Swan

I always used to think orchids were somehow magical plants that I could never hope to grow. I bought this one for $10 as I was leaving the Flower and Garden show. I thought I would enjoy its flowers and then it would die. Well, that was about 6 years ago, and every year I'm delighted by another beautiful show. I transplanted it into my swan planter, and it didn't mind at all. The crazy air roots make me think of a triffid, and it was quite happy to be planted in my swan. I'm happy to say that this year, once again, it's starting to make a new flower spike.
IMG_5624.JPG

Orchid Swan

I always used to think orchids were somehow magical plants that I could never hope to grow. I bought this one for $10 as I was leaving the Flower and Garden show. I thought I would enjoy its flowers and then it would die. Well, that was about 6 years ago, and every year I'm delighted by another beautiful show. I transplanted it into my swan planter, and it didn't mind at all. The crazy air roots make me think of a triffid, and it was quite happy to be planted in my swan. I'm happy to say that this year, once again, it's starting to make a new flower spike.
View attachment 25793
Those are the prettiest orchids I've ever seen!

Reactions: featherfour
Thank you. I feel so lucky to have them in my room and enjoy the flowers every year

I haven't seen a more beautiful orchid before and it suits your swan planter. I haven't had any luck with orchids, they eventually die on me. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Reactions: featherfour
I haven't seen a more beautiful orchid before and it suits your swan planter. I haven't had any luck with orchids, they eventually die on me. Thanks for sharing the pic.
Thank you. It was one of those impulse buys, $10 as I was walking out of the garden show, and I really did think it would just have flowers and die. I'd never owned an orchid before. I keep it in an east-facing window, and honestly, treat it with benign neglect, I go for weeks without watering it, then I soak it. The swan is so pretty! I have a collection of porcelain swans, my rule is that I have to get them second-hand from op-shops. I was on an op-shop facebook group and shared my swan pics and a lady gave me this one, as she didn't want it any more. It's made a happy home for my orchid.

Those are the prettiest orchids I've ever seen!
Thank you. They were one of those real impulse buys. I'd just finished a lovely day at the flower and garden show, and they were on a stall just by the exit. I thought about it, and for only $10 I thought it would be nice to have some pretty flowers. I really did expect them to give up and die when I brought them home, but they seem to like living in my east-facing window