Online shoppers beware! Learn how to sniff out the 'Dotti' scam before it's too late

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are fans of online shopping. It's an incredibly efficient and convenient way to get the things you need without ever having to leave the house.

But with the steadily increasing number of online stores and deals supposedly too good to be true, it's easy to forget that, unfortunately, the internet is a playground for all sorts of predators, and it provides the perfect opportunity for scammers to prey on unsuspecting victims.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad but true reality — scammers are getting smarter and more brazen with their new antics every year.

So it's time to get more serious and learn more about the kinds of scams out there, in order to protect ourselves and our hard-earned money.

This week, popular Australian fashion retailer Dotti issued a warning to its customers, after they noticed the emergence of a new scam targeting their customers.

23d037a3e5b54e91318f3a0f498180fc

Dotti released a statement, warning their customers about the fake websites that are targeting online shoppers. Credit: Dotti.

The scam involves fake websites popping up that look almost identical to the real Dotti website, with clothes, promotions and prices all copied from the actual site. As a result of this scam, a lot of customers are being tricked into buying counterfeit or 'non-existent' Dotti products at inflated prices.

A statement from the retailer read: 'We have been made aware that there are websites illegally using the Dotti name and logo in an attempt to scam customers and obtain personal information.'

The apparel shop warned clients to exercise caution and claimed that the websites were not related to Dotti.

'Along with our retail stores, the only authorised websites that sell genuine Dotti products are dotti.com.au and dotti.co.nz,' the note continued.

'We strongly advise not to purchase from any other website due to the risk of fraud.'

7c85a2b03fdcb68c627ad338926ba70c

Scammers also use fake social media accounts to entice online shoppers. Credit: Dotti.

This scam doesn’t stop with just online purchases, either. The scammers are also sending emails and messages to unsuspecting Dotti customers through social media accounts, and offering them deals or vouchers for products if they pay via bank transfer.

Dotti stressed to its customers that these are not legitimate sites or accounts, and warned people to be extra vigilant about what they are buying and responding to when browsing online.

The statement concluded: 'We hope you all continue to enjoy shopping with us and remain safe online.'

The warning came after reports claimed that in 2022, Australians lost millions of dollars due to online fraud.

The ACCC’s ScamWatch site revealed that scammers have managed to up the ante and use newly developed technology to create fake sites that look legitimate. On the surface, these pages are convincing enough, boasting stolen logos, a .com.au domain name, and even sometimes a registered ABN.

The scam sites often peddle alluringly priced luxury items such as top brands of clothing, electronics and jewellery.

pexels-photo-230544.jpeg

It was reported that Australians lost millions of dollars from online scams in 2022. Credit: Pexels/PhotoMIX Company.

People who fall for these traps will receive a fake item that looks nothing like what was advertised, or worse – a raw deal in which they get nothing after paying, and their funds disappear with no trace.

A sure sign of a dodgy site, ScamWatch warned, is the payment method they ask for. Be wary if the site requests a money order, a pre-loaded card or a wire transfer – these forms of payment usually can’t be traced and customers have little to no chance of ever seeing the money again.

Scammers can also use social media to set up online stores – with some fake stores disappearing after making a number of sales.

ScamWatch said a good way to tell if a site is fake is to search for reviews about it online.

Indicators of a fake online store include:

1. Unusual payment methods - Scammers will often ask for payment via money order, a pre-loaded money card, or a wire transfer.

2. Suspiciously Low prices - Very cheap prices for luxury items may be another sign of a scam. Remember the old adage - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

3. Poor reviews - Check sites like Google Reviews or ProductReview.com.au to see if other people have had experiences with this company before. Not finding *any* reviews could be just as suspicious as finding bad reviews..

4. Fake social media - Fake social media accounts can be used to advertise and sell fake branded items.

Remember, even if you’ve seen it advertised or shared on social media, don’t take it as a sure sign that a store is legitimate.

If you think you may have fallen prey to an online fraud, don't stay silent and report the scam here (https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam).

Key Takeaways

• Dotti, a popular fashion chain, has warned customers of a new scam involving fake websites attempting to fraud customers.
  • ScamWatch has warned that scammers are using sophisticated designs and layouts, stolen logos, and a ‘.com.au’ domain name and stolen Australian Business Number (ABN) to create fake online stores.
  • Anyone who may have fallen victim to a fake online scam is advised to search for reviews before purchasing, and to report the scam via ScamWatch's website.

For more awareness on how you can steer clear from scams, we recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of the latest schemes.

Members, always take extra care when transacting online, doing your own research on the store or seller before pressing that 'buy' button.

And if you’re ever in doubt, we recommend erring on the side of caution and going elsewhere for your shopping.

Stay safe out there, folks!

Sponsored
I love shopping online but I have received a few emails recently with some supposedly great deals. They were for a site I didn’t recognise so I deleted. I never click on links. I have been getting the Telstra calls again about my internet and the female who rang speaks very good english. If these scammers put as much effort into doing a real job they would be better off. It is very sad that so many people are falling victim to these thieves.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club are fans of online shopping. It's an incredibly efficient and convenient way to get the things you need without ever having to leave the house.

But with the steadily increasing number of online stores and deals supposedly too good to be true, it's easy to forget that, unfortunately, the internet is a playground for all sorts of predators, and it provides the perfect opportunity for scammers to prey on unsuspecting victims.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad but true reality — scammers are getting smarter and more brazen with their new antics every year.

So it's time to get more serious and learn more about the kinds of scams out there, in order to protect ourselves and our hard-earned money.

This week, popular Australian fashion retailer Dotti issued a warning to its customers, after they noticed the emergence of a new scam targeting their customers.

Dotti released a statement, warning their customers about the fake websites that are targeting online shoppers. Credit: Dotti.

The scam involves fake websites popping up that look almost identical to the real Dotti website, with clothes, promotions and prices all copied from the actual site. As a result of this scam, a lot of customers are being tricked into buying counterfeit or 'non-existent' Dotti products at inflated prices.

A statement from the retailer read: 'We have been made aware that there are websites illegally using the Dotti name and logo in an attempt to scam customers and obtain personal information.'

The apparel shop warned clients to exercise caution and claimed that the websites were not related to Dotti.

'Along with our retail stores, the only authorised websites that sell genuine Dotti products are dotti.com.au and dotti.co.nz,' the note continued.

'We strongly advise not to purchase from any other website due to the risk of fraud.'

Scammers also use fake social media accounts to entice online shoppers. Credit: Dotti.

This scam doesn’t stop with just online purchases, either. The scammers are also sending emails and messages to unsuspecting Dotti customers through social media accounts, and offering them deals or vouchers for products if they pay via bank transfer.

Dotti stressed to its customers that these are not legitimate sites or accounts, and warned people to be extra vigilant about what they are buying and responding to when browsing online.

The statement concluded: 'We hope you all continue to enjoy shopping with us and remain safe online.'

The warning came after reports claimed that in 2022, Australians lost millions of dollars due to online fraud.

The ACCC’s ScamWatch site revealed that scammers have managed to up the ante and use newly developed technology to create fake sites that look legitimate. On the surface, these pages are convincing enough, boasting stolen logos, a .com.au domain name, and even sometimes a registered ABN.

The scam sites often peddle alluringly priced luxury items such as top brands of clothing, electronics and jewellery.

pexels-photo-230544.jpeg

It was reported that Australians lost millions of dollars from online scams in 2022. Credit: Pexels/PhotoMIX Company.

People who fall for these traps will receive a fake item that looks nothing like what was advertised, or worse – a raw deal in which they get nothing after paying, and their funds disappear with no trace.

A sure sign of a dodgy site, ScamWatch warned, is the payment method they ask for. Be wary if the site requests a money order, a pre-loaded card or a wire transfer – these forms of payment usually can’t be traced and customers have little to no chance of ever seeing the money again.

Scammers can also use social media to set up online stores – with some fake stores disappearing after making a number of sales.

ScamWatch said a good way to tell if a site is fake is to search for reviews about it online.

Remember, even if you’ve seen it advertised or shared on social media, don’t take it as a sure sign that a store is legitimate.

If you think you may have fallen prey to an online fraud, don't stay silent and report the scam here (https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam).

Key Takeaways

• Dotti, a popular fashion chain, has warned customers of a new scam involving fake websites attempting to fraud customers.
  • ScamWatch has warned that scammers are using sophisticated designs and layouts, stolen logos, and a ‘.com.au’ domain name and stolen Australian Business Number (ABN) to create fake online stores.
  • Anyone who may have fallen victim to a fake online scam is advised to search for reviews before purchasing, and to report the scam via ScamWatch's website.

For more awareness on how you can steer clear from scams, we recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of the latest schemes.

Members, always take extra care when transacting online, doing your own research on the store or seller before pressing that 'buy' button.

And if you’re ever in doubt, we recommend erring on the side of caution and going elsewhere for your shopping.

Facebook needs to do more to stop many of these scam sites advertising on their site. One classic is an advertisement for a working metal V8 model engine kit. This is an ongoing scam which if you get anything it will be a cheap minature plastic lego model. Despite reporting it to Facebook on multiple occasions the fraudsters just produce another website and readvertise on Facebook under a different name. Another site selling a rotary bookshelf is very similar. Surely Facebook could develop an algorithm to detect these types of advertisements. They use the same video on each occasion the V8 model engine advert appears.

I’ve had the Microsoft (your computer is running slow) and the holiday in Cancun, plus Bahamas Cruise one 8n the past. And NAB and other “banks” come around on a regular basis as do Norton and McAfee notifications that a non existent subscription is about to expire. More recently has been a call from my own mobile! I texted a request to stop using my phone number and was called back. I hit the option so “spam, report and block” but have had to change my mobile at considerable personal inconvenience. Perhaps Seniors Discount Club could run a story on the implications of spoofing?

Reactions: Liz and Nana Zorak
Greed is how we mostly fall for some scams. Anything that is cheap seems like a bargain but if it arrives it is not as advertised. I know because I bought a jacket last year & when it arrived it was not as good as advertised. luckily I at least got something for my money & my bank account was left alone as well. I must agree with the advice that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. So don't be one of the greedy ones who want too much for your dollar like me & question everything!

pexels-photo-230544.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I only wish I could meet one of these bastards, then I'd show them a trick I'm not supposed to acknowledge knowing, but after a certain stupid shitebag has already opened that can of worms, I'd have no qualms. The only problem is catching the bastards.

pexels-photo-230544.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I've noticed when I order a product online through a reputable company, I'll start receiving fake emails asking for more 'Delivery Money' I get maybe 1o different email scams trying to get my details. I delete them. I wish Scamwatch took more notice of these emails & not just after you've been scammed.